It's August 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

ExTended

Journeyed there and back again
Finished The Family Trade by Charles Stross. Portal fantasy... kind-of. It's concentrated on economics and social structures. It's fine. Not as dynamic as I expected it to be and the first book didn't have a well-defined end, but it's 6.4/10 decent and works as something on the side.

I don't like the 3 star Amazon reviews for the later installments of the series though... they're kind of foreboding.

I finished the absolutely great The Witchwood Crown a couple days ago and immediately bought the next book Empire of Grass. I am loving this action-packed epic fantasy that features less exposition than the original Memory, Sorrow and Throne trilogy and more exciting plot development. It feels like this sequel series was a necessary addition together with The Heart of What Was Lost, which needs to be read to know what has happened between the end of Memory and the beginning of the Last King of Osten Ard stories.
How good the 3rd Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is? I've struggled though the first two books, but they were:
1. Slow
2. Very, very poorly narrated.

I don't think that I'm ready for another book of the same pacing. Obviously the poor narrating is going to be there regardless.

EDIT: Bright Steel is coming out in 22nd of August btw. Not sure if you've managed to catch up with Cameron's new trilogy, but it's exquisite so far, especially the first book.

kenubrion

How good the 3rd Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is? I've struggled though the first two books,
Extended, I had to try three times to get through the first book and I definitely agree with you that it's slow, with too much exposition and internal dialogue. It's worth the effort though, especially now that Tad has written the sequel through two books so far. It's just great to enjoy the new books with none of the problems of the Memory trilogy. The action never stops. By the way, the third book of Memory, To Green Angel Tower, is important to the new series as it focuses totally on the events and characters of The Witchwood Crown. At least To Green Angel Tower is the best book of the Memory Trilogy.

I read Miles Cameron's Cold Iron the day it came out and it is just great. I have pre-ordered both Dark Forge and Bright Steel, and Dark Forge drops in one month. Bright Steel drops in December for us.

ReguIa

@Peat I read it last month. It was pretty solid but truth be told a little bit of a let down. I'd heard really good things about it and it just didn't live up to that level of hype. The characters were fantastic and the story itself was so different and unique compared to everything else I've read, so that was great. I did lose interest for a bit at the halfway point so I'd say the biggest issue was the length.

Having just finished Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett which was a hell of a lot of fun, I'm thinking of starting The Fires of Heaven. I would have liked to take a longer break from Wheel of Time than just 1 book but I don't think I can. Liking it way too much.

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

@Peat I read it last month. It was pretty solid but truth be told a little bit of a let down. I'd heard really good things about it and it just didn't live up to that level of hype. The characters were fantastic and the story itself was so different and unique compared to everything else I've read, so that was great. I did lose interest for a bit at the halfway point so I'd say the biggest issue was the length.

Having just finished Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett which was a hell of a lot of fun, I'm thinking of starting The Fires of Heaven. I would have liked to take a longer break from Wheel of Time than just 1 book but I don't think I can. Liking it way too much.
I know so little about Foundryside. I read his last trilogy and I thought it was a rare trilogy where each book got better and the first book maybe the worst. I might have to try that soon.

ReguIa

I know so little about Foundryside. I read his last trilogy and I thought it was a rare trilogy where each book got better and the first book maybe the worst. I might have to try that soon.
I haven't read his other trilogy so I can't compare to it or say if it's similar. It did surprise me how fast paced and easy to read it was, definitely felt like a Sanderson novel actually. Not as well developed as Sandersons Stormlight by any means but somewhere between Reckoners and Mistborn.

I was a little disappointed there wasn't more ''meat'' too it but it was still great fun. Definitely getting the sequel the second it comes out.

Peat

I hear that. I actually flicked to the back at about halfway through to see whether I wanted to stay the course or just say "This book is a lovely journey but I found myself going in a direction that seemed meh in a slow way so I decided to get off the bus and say I enjoyed the journey up until now but don't need to go any further". Not entirely sure why I felt that way, but I did.

kenubrion

Flitting between books, bust most of its been spent with The Golem and the Djinni.
Thanks for reminding me that I was supposed to be watching for the sequel, if there is going to be one. Don't remember the ending exactly so there may not be a sequel.

Last edited:

ReguIa

@stenney The Blinding Knife was an incredible improvement over The Black Prism imo. I found it to be decent but the sequels have all been fantastic. Blood Mirror was a step down in some things but there are a few developments that more than make up for it. The final book is around 1000 pages I think, really looking forward to that one.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I'm reading the last book of Raven's Mark series. It's a slow start but I know once this gets into gear, there will be no stopping.
This series is as grimdark as it gets (unless it's Abercrombie's baby) and I just love the voice and the personality of the main character.
Ed McDonald is definitely one to keep an eye on, at least for me.

Cyphon

In my relaxing TBR I'm currently reading Dark Age by Pierce Brown
Just ordered this. What are your thoughts on this and what did you think of the first one in the new trilogy?

Been a bit of a slow go for me with doing some other stuff but I finally finished Charmcaster and also Soulbinder and am now reading Queenslayer by Sebastien De Castell.

So one of my original complaints in the first 2 books was that despite the threats and high stakes and things of that nature the main character and his squirrel cat Reichis never seemed to committ any real violence or kill when it not only seemed warranted but necessary as well. Lucky for me the author did actually correct course in the more recent books so I was pleasantly surprised by that change. For my money the series has seemingly gotten better with each book and I notice there is a 6th book coming out as well.

ReguIa

Started and finished The Painted Man. Not sure if I'm going to alternate with Wheel of Time or continue with it to the end. I liked it a lot, but if I read a WoT in between I'm concerned I will be disappointed when I get to the Demon Cycle considering Wot is just so much more developed and rich in everything.

So far I'm impressed though. At first it seemed to be a fast-paced action focused story. When the ''corelings'' instead became more of a background setting with focus on the characters it became really great. I'm sure it will be given more focus as the story progresses but that's alright.

ExTended

Just ordered this. What are your thoughts on this and what did you think of the first one in the new trilogy?
I've finished with it yesterday. Loved the original trilogy( I think that I gave it something like 9.5/10 overall), I'd maybe give Iron Gold 6/10 if I'm to be really generous, I disliked the Lyria and Ephron chapters with passion, Darrow and Lysander were ok. For Dark Age I'd give it 8.8/10 overall, Each of Darrow, Mustang and Lisander had some great chapters, while Lyria and Ephron were veering between tolerable and interesting/dynamic. In my mind Iron Gold is pretty much a very long( and slow/disappointing prologue), where Dark Age goes back to what made the original trilogy so interesting - dynamic explosive action from many of its characters.

My faith in the trilogy has been restored. Although the book certainly could've been better, mind you.

Also the narration of Iron Gold was abysmal. Dark Age is a mixture of epic( Tim Gerard Raynolds) + tolerable: everyone else, so there an improvement there as well.

P.S. Everyone who has read the opening books of A Song of Ice and Fire and The Demon Cycle and continues on with the latter ones has my sincerest pity towards their future self. There are very few fantasy series that go so much downhill after a great start, and at least WoT climbs back from it at a certain point.

rudyjuly2

Probably going to start on Kings of the Wylde next. Read a local person's fictional basketball book. About a young girl that loses a foot in an accident but still strives to play basketball. You won't find it on goodreads or online. He sells them out of his house and they are only $12. Ages 10 and up and it was OK for a local person's book. Better than I can do lol.

Cyphon

I've finished with it yesterday. Loved the original trilogy( I think that I gave it something like 9.5/10 overall), I'd maybe give Iron Gold 6/10 if I'm to be really generous, I disliked the Lyria and Ephron chapters with passion, Darrow and Lysander were ok. For Dark Age I'd give it 8.8/10 overall, Each of Darrow, Mustang and Lisander had some great chapters, while Lyria and Ephron were veering between tolerable and interesting/dynamic. In my mind Iron Gold is pretty much a very long( and slow/disappointing prologue), where Dark Age goes back to what made the original trilogy so interesting - dynamic explosive action from many of its characters.

My faith in the trilogy has been restored. Although the book certainly could've been better, mind you.

Also the narration of Iron Gold was abysmal. Dark Age is a mixture of epic( Tim Gerard Raynolds) + tolerable: everyone else, so there an improvement there as well.

P.S. Everyone who has read the opening books of A Song of Ice and Fire and The Demon Cycle and continues on with the latter ones has my sincerest pity towards their future self. There are very few fantasy series that go so much downhill after a great start, and at least WoT climbs back from it at a certain point.
Thanks for the input and I am glad to hear the 2nd one gets back to form. I feel mostly the same about the first from what I remember. Was definitely disappointing coming off of one of the best trilogies out there.

I think I am one of the few people who liked The Demon Cycle all the way through. I agree the first book was the peak but after that I was so into the world I didn't mind the slow move through it. I still thought there was plenty of interest with the characters to keep most of it interesting.

ExTended

I think I am one of the few people who liked The Demon Cycle all the way through. I agree the first book was the peak but after that I was so into the world I didn't mind the slow move through it. I still thought there was plenty of interest with the characters to keep most of it interesting.
Demon Cycle spoilers:
For me the transition between Medieval Europe and Medieval adventures towards Desert setting and Arabic culture centered plots was too big of a chance between the tone of the first book and the next ones. I also couldn't believe all that Arlin + Rena romance/bromance/brothers of arms kind of thing. To be honest I couldn't believe in a single relationship in the whole series, they were all kind of over the top D&D ones. I've tried r re-reading it recently, but I've gotten 2-3 books deep before giving up on all the tone change. But if you're into Arabic culture and desert settings, I guess it's a good series to have around. The gelded duded from book 5 were quite disturbing though. That's so not happening in real life, people just not killing of the man who did it to them - it was breaking my suspense of disbelief time and time again.

ReguIa

Soon halfway through The Fires of Heaven. So far the series has exceeded all my expectations. I'm at the point where I wish the story would never end because I'm loving every minute of it. 9 more books to go after this one is great.