It's August 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Couple hundred pages into Midnight Tides. Enjoying it, different from the other books.
This is one of my favorite Malazan books. In top 3 for sure. The characters just shine. Tehol and Bugg, Trull Sengar and even his crazy younger brother Rhulad.
It's a change of setting and pace, but I enjoyed it.

I'm half way through Crowfall. The action is starting to pick up at this point.
For next book I think I'll go for Changes. Haven't read Dresden in a while.

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Changed my mind on my next series. Haven’t read much fantasy lately and I’m going to pick up Mistborn from the library. I like (not love) Sanderson. Many people like the series and I remember reading a sample in the past and liked it but just never pulled the trigger.

I’m hoping it has an epic quality to it. I’ve read more unique and small potatoes stuff lately. I’d like something with more impact at the moment.

ReguIa

@rudyjuly2 What else by him have you read so far? I started with Mistborn and thought it was great. Those that read his other works before however end up slightly disappointed in Mistborn. Especially if it's Stormlight.

It certainly has the epic feel to it, also the most interesting world I've come across. The key to enjoying Mistborn is if you like the characters. Everything else is stellar so that's usually where people end up liking or disliking it. If you enjoy it like I did it's going to make one hell of an impact.

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

@rudyjuly2 What else by him have you read so far? I started with Mistborn and thought it was great. Those that read his other works before however end up slightly disappointed in Mistborn. Especially if it's Stormlight.

It certainly has the epic feel to it, also the most interesting world I've come across. The key to enjoying Mistborn is if you like the characters. Everything else is stellar so that's usually where people end up liking or disliking it. If you enjoy it like I did it's going to make one hell of an impact.
I’ve read Steelheart and enjoyed it but felt it was too YA to continue although my son read the whole series and really liked it. I have read the first 3 books in Way of Kings and really enjoyed the first two books despite some of the goody two shoes stereotypical good guys. The third book disappointed. I read his YA Skyward and really enjoyed that. Having read all of WOT there are 3 final books I thought he did a really good job on other than with Mat. I think that’s it for me and Sanderson.

rudyjuly2

Also to clarify with Way of Kings - I didn't really like Shallan and that hurt my enjoyment at times. I warmed up to her more as the series went on but my big beef was that I found her annoying. Brandon intended her to be witty and perhaps funny at times and instead it was just annoying. I think Brandon struggles to write that type of character or humour in general. I don't think he did a good job with Mat in WOT as he became one-dimensional and wasn't quite the same. So it's not a surprise to me that Shallan didn't end up the way he probably wanted her to be.