It's August 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

Jakyro

Journeyed there and back again
Oh and when I was reading it the first time I was reading according to the ultimate reading order according to the Malazan Empire forum (https://www.goodreads.com/series/17...gested-by-members-of-the-malazan-empire-forum) that combines Erikson and Esselmont books which totals the series at 34 books (so far). I've read up to around 10 books and half a dozen novellas and I just kind of burned out on the series.
So this time I'll just read Erikson's core series that is 10 books and finish it. I can read Esselmont later, as well as Erikson's prequel trilogies.
I read MBotF from Erikson in combination with the ME books from Esslemont. It worked well. I however don't think it's essential to the story in MBotF, except maybe for one important event happening in book 2 from Esslemont "Return of The Crimson Guard". Esslemont's books will probably explain more stuff along the way, but I can't remember anything that important.
I'm planning on starting with Path To Ascendany in the near future, they've been on my list for some time now. I'll probably try the novels from Erikson (about Bauchelain and Korbal Broach) as well after that. Kharkanas trilogy will be for when it's finished I'm afraid ...

But before I head into those I'll continue with The Expanse series. I read the first one in January and I liked it pretty well. Action packed scifi with some very good characterization. I picked up the second book in July and now I'm reading the fourth book (over halfway). The first two books were the best, with the second even better than the first. Third was still good, but not at the level of the first two. The fourth is a bit of a struggle ... It's still good, but the pace is off and nothing much is happening so far. I've read it's the weakest book in the series and so far this seems to be true. I was planning to dive immediately into the next one, but I'm not sure anymore. Maybe it's best to read something completely different before I pick up the next books. I'm not in a rush either, the final book is only expected in 2021.

ReguIa

@Jakyro Cibola Burn is considered the weakest in the series that's true. However don't let it keep you from continuing, all the books after it with the exception of Babylon's Ashes are fan favorites. The 2 best imo are books 5 and 8.

Jakyro

@Jakyro Cibola Burn is considered the weakest in the series that's true. However don't let it keep you from continuing, all the books after it with the exception of Babylon's Ashes are fan favorites. The 2 best imo are books 5 and 8.
I'm definitely going to continue the series, but I'll probably take a short break with a stand alone book. I rarely finish a series from start to end, not even when I like it very much

ReguIa

I'm definitely going to continue the series, but I'll probably take a short break with a stand alone book. I rarely finish a series from start to end, not even when I like it very much
Smart decision then taking a break after Cibola. If you begin Nemesis Games you're not going to be able to take any breaks.

Are you watching the TV show as well?

Jakyro

Are you watching the TV show as well?
not yet, but I'm planning to at some point
you've already seen the TV show? how is it? ... I've read good things about it

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I read MBotF from Erikson in combination with the ME books from Esslemont. It worked well. I however don't think it's essential to the story in MBotF, except maybe for one important event happening in book 2 from Esslemont "Return of The Crimson Guard". Esslemont's books will probably explain more stuff along the way, but I can't remember anything that important.
I'm planning on starting with Path To Ascendany in the near future, they've been on my list for some time now. I'll probably try the novels from Erikson (about Bauchelain and Korbal Broach) as well after that. Kharkanas trilogy will be for when it's finished I'm afraid ...

But before I head into those I'll continue with The Expanse series. I read the first one in January and I liked it pretty well. Action packed scifi with some very good characterization. I picked up the second book in July and now I'm reading the fourth book (over halfway). The first two books were the best, with the second even better than the first. Third was still good, but not at the level of the first two. The fourth is a bit of a struggle ... It's still good, but the pace is off and nothing much is happening so far. I've read it's the weakest book in the series and so far this seems to be true. I was planning to dive immediately into the next one, but I'm not sure anymore. Maybe it's best to read something completely different before I pick up the next books. I'm not in a rush either, the final book is only expected in 2021.
That's great Jakyro! I've read the series right up to book 7. Book 8 is on the shelf, but I don't want to read it yet, as I want to finish the series in one go in 2021 when the final book comes out.

rudyjuly2

I never got into the Expanse. I think I might have read the sample but never started reading it. I know there are a lot of fans of the book and TV show but just wasn’t sure if it was for me. Might give it an honest try later.

Kevin O Donoghue

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
This month I have read The Black Song by Anthony Ryan and A Chorus of Fire by Brian D Anderson.

I only discovered Anthony Ryan recently and really liked the series. I think that The Blood Song finished out the series well and if there happened to be another book that I would buy it. Good characters and story.

A Chorus of Fire is book two in this series. I enjoyed most of the book but the last part of the book felt like it was missing some story line. I liked the book but I do not know if it was me missing part of the story while reading or just some of the narrative not being there at all. I will need to to read the last few chapters again.

Nothing lined up to read next, I may just wait for The Trouble with Peace by Joe Abercrombie in September

kenubrion

Last edited:

Derk of Derkholm

Did some research here on the site, requested a number of Kindle Samples, now I have found my next project: have just started "Nine Princes in Amber" by Roger Zelazny.
Continuing with "Guns of Avalon".

And, of course, I noticed that there is an affordable omnibus edition of all 10 books after having bought the first two...

fl1pper

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I'm re-reading Gardens of the Moon. Really enjoying this book more second time around.
I decided to go back to Malazan because I really missed it and maybe this time I actually finish the series? lol
Same here. I read the first 3 books in 2017 and have decided to read them all this time round. About half way through GotM now and I'm wondering why I stopped with the series last time! It's fantastic!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I've wrapped up 'Of mice and men' by Steinbeck. It's not a fantasy book, but historical drama. It's a nice little book, but it's got nothing on the other Steinbeck book I've just started called 'East of Eden'. I'm just 50 pages in, but already entranced by the writing style and the setting of this story.

rudyjuly2

Kind of sucks when you read a book by an author and loved it and then read another one and it pales in comparison. This is something I have seen a lot in Fantasy books when trying to create a new series or a follow up book. But I'm reading a sports book and the author wrote a baseball book on the '49 Yankees and Red Sox pennant race and I loved it (Summer of 49). He wrote that in 1989. So I decided to read a similar book detailing the Portland Trailblazers following their title run in the late 70s. This was written in 1983. It's so dated and inferior. It feels a bit pointless but the references to basketball are so basic or odd I can't get into it. I'm 1/3 in and I think it's going DNF.

Might try the Wolf's Call. Back to Vaelin and the new two book saga which takes place about 10 years after Blood Song's finish I think.

Jakyro

I finished 'Cibola Burn' a couple of days ago, book 4 in the Expanse series
I still liked it in the end but it was definitely the weakest book so far. I gave it 3 stars. Main problem was that the focus was put too much on one central conflict that dragged on for about 75% of the book with not much happening. It's only in the final 25% of the book that it got more interesting. Overall, it wasn't a bad book, just not as good as the previous books.

I'm not sure which book I'm going to pick up next. I'm thinking on a stand alone fantasy book, ... maybe 'Sword of Kaigen'

ReguIa

I'm not sure which book I'm going to pick up next. I'm thinking on a stand alone fantasy book, ... maybe 'Sword of Kaigen'
Let us know what you think of that one if you read it. I'm on the penultimate Wheel of Time book right now and could use a stand alone to fill in some breaks between other series I want to get to.

I finished The Gathering Storm last night and my god (Btw I bet those of you who have read the books already know what I'm about to mention)
VEINS OF GOLD. One of the best chapters I have ever read. What an absolutely amazing turn around for Rand. Not gonna lie I was a wreck reading that.

kenubrion

rudyjuly2

No. Regarding Sword of Kaigen you don’t need to read the other Theonite books at all (I haven’t read them either). This is a stand alone book. Furthermore, the other Theonite books were part of a trilogy and the author announced she wouldn’t be finishing it. Said she’s incapable of tying it all up or something. But Sword of Kaigen won the book blog by Mark Lawrence and was great. Largely old school Samurai feel with some magic thrown in but the characters and story are really good.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm re-reading Gardens of the Moon. Really enjoying this book more second time around.
I decided to go back to Malazan because I really missed it and maybe this time I actually finish the series? lol
I'm contemplating a Malazan re-read. Took me a year first time around (pre-kids). Hate to think how long it'd take me post-kids!!

Or maybe Wheel of Time ... go back to where it all started for me :)