It's August 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm contemplating a Malazan re-read. Took me a year first time around (pre-kids). Hate to think how long it'd take me post-kids!!

Or maybe Wheel of Time ... go back to where it all started for me :)
WoT is finished now, have you read the final books by Sanderson? The Malazan books by Esslemont are also quite good, not sure whether you read those?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
WoT is finished now, have you read the final books by Sanderson? The Malazan books by Esslemont are also quite good, not sure whether you read those?
I read 5 Esselmont books alongside the main Erikson series. Not read any of the subsequent trilogies, not even sure how many there are (2 I think, 1 Esselmont and 1 Erikson?). And yeah, finished all of WoT. Just fancy dipping my toes back into one or another!

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
I read 5 Esselmont books alongside the main Erikson series. Not read any of the subsequent trilogies, not even sure how many there are (2 I think, 1 Esselmont and 1 Erikson?). And yeah, finished all of WoT. Just fancy dipping my toes back into one or another!
I loved Path to Ascendancy trilogy by Esselmont.

fl1pper

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I loved Path to Ascendancy trilogy by Esselmont.
At what point are they best read? They never appear in anybody's reading order list so I'm not sure if they should be woven in to the main series or just left to the end.

Hand of Fear

At what point are they best read? They never appear in anybody's reading order list so I'm not sure if they should be woven in to the main series or just left to the end.
I can a little bit with this, I think they can be read at the very start as they are a prequel trilogy. They are all really good Malazan books, can’t go wrong with Malazan.

fl1pper

I can a little bit with this, I think they can be read at the very start as they are a prequel trilogy. They are all really good Malazan books, can’t go wrong with Malazan.
Thanks for the info. it's too late for me to read them at the very beginning, but it sounds like I can put them in at any point.

Khartun

Thanks for the info. it's too late for me to read them at the very beginning, but it sounds like I can put them in at any point.
Yes, you could read them first but I think it's best after the main trilogy. There are several characters that are from the main trilogy that you then get some background information on that enhances what you think about them. It's really a good series.

fl1pper

Yes, you could read them first but I think it's best after the main trilogy. There are several characters that are from the main trilogy that you then get some background information on that enhances what you think about them. It's really a good series.
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to read them after everything else but before the Kharkanas trilogy because he hasn't finished that yet. Looking at the order, I have already gone astray because I should have read Blood Follows before Deadhouse Gates but it doesn't matter as I've read them both before anyway.