It's August: What Fantasy Book Are You Reading?

Reakon

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
Currently reading Daughter of the Empire by Faust and Wurts. About 40% in and really enjoying it. There is a huge amount of detail and description in this novel, which I tend to find a little boring, but I am really intrigued by it. Absolutely love the feudal japanese influence, the fact that it is a strong female lead, and also contains a good history of politics and economics in their world.

Also listening to The High Lord by Trudi Canavan while I drive/work etc. The trilogy has been entertaining enough, but it is a bit dragged out. I would probably have lost interest and given up by now if I hadn't already bought the entire trilogy on audiobook. If each book was half the length (or a single book maybe?), I would have enjoyed it more.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Only 40 pages into the Swans War Trilogy. Loving it. Seems like my kind of story/book. &2.97 for the entire series. Are you kidding me?? :joyful:

For some reason the writing reminds me of The Fionovar Tapestry which I also loved. Am I way off on this?
I can see where you're getting that. I liked both of those trilogies, too.

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
I can see where you're getting that. I liked both of those trilogies, too.

I really like Russels writing style. I don't think he is heavily/ overly descriptive in the least bit.

I'm really loving this book. I have a feeling it is going to be one of my favorite series ever even though Im a quarter of the way through and have no idea what is going on yet. Lots of characters and other stuff thrown at you so it's hard to keep straight so far. But regardless, I think it will get an excellent thumbs up when I send my grade to Antoxx.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud.

So happy to be reading another Stroud series. Loved Bartimaeus Trilogy and Solomon's Ring.

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
Just started 'The Magician' by Raymond Feist part of the Riftwar Saga. On the first few pages so ill see how it goes

Griffin

@Scorpio1990 I've also got that book but I haven't read it yet, but once I do I'm sure I will like it.

From what I've heard on here it's 'old school fantasy' with elves ect.
Yes, definitely old school. With a elves, dwarfs and such. It's a good book considering the time it was written. His collaboration with Wurts (Empire-trilogy) is his best work though!

Jon Snow

Staff member
@Scorpio1990 @Hand of Fear

Hated it. I can understand why it was so good when it was released, but I think fantasy readers' taste and fantasy education has changed so much. The book to me seemed really out of date. I read it about 2-3 years ago.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Turn Coat by Jim Butcher and Echopraxia (hard sci-fi where the writer actually GETS biology) by Peter Watts (release date 8/26 so I may actually finish it in advance!).

Jon Snow

Staff member
Turn Coat by Jim Butcher and Echopraxia (hard sci-fi where the writer actually GETS biology) by Peter Watts (release date 8/26 so I may actually finish it in advance!).
Turncoat! That one is a goodie.

Darth Tater

Yes, I've also read the Eragon series, the Abhorsen chronicles, and most of Jules Verne's works.

guilty_as_charged

I recently downloaded and read Journey to the Center of the Earth by Verne and was going to also download 20,000 Leagues and 80 days for free also but I found the one I read to be so tedious that I changed my mind.

I would make some suggestions of other great stuff you could find (even though you didn't ask) but I know other people could do a much better job. (Ok. I can't resist. :)One series. I think you might love "The Cathrand Voyage" (4 books total).

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Turncoat! That one is a goodie.
Is it just me or is that one a lot longer than the previous books (I'm not complaining, it's just an observation)?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it just me or is that one a lot longer than the previous books (I'm not complaining, it's just an observation)?
Yep! At least 8-9 presses per 1% on the kindle, rather than 4-5 for previous books. Changes is the same.

(apologies for my units of book length measurement!)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Yep! At least 8-9 presses per 1% on the kindle, rather than 4-5 for previous books. Changes is the same.

(apologies for my units of book length measurement!)
Your units make sense. For me, it's the down arrow key since I'm reading it on the Kindle app on my work computer. It's like the books went from 300-330 pages to 500-550 pages. (They also got a bit more expensive.)