It's December 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
How many of you reading Oathbringer read Edgedancer (Stormlight 2.5)? It's $11 for 272 pages and I don't feel like paying that much for a novella that I may or may not care about.
I didn't. But then, I've been stuck at about 10% of Oathbringer for a week or more.

(In general, I hate extra novellas occurring between the main sequence books of a series. Kevin Hearne seriously irritated me doing this with the Iron Druid books -- involving a major plot point -- but I really won't put up with it for anyone.)

Jakyro

Journeyed there and back again
How many of you reading Oathbringer read Edgedancer (Stormlight 2.5)? It's $11 for 272 pages and I don't feel like paying that much for a novella that I may or may not care about.
You could check the Price of “Arcanum Unbounded”. It contains multiple novellas from the cosmere, one of which is Edgedancer. It’s cheaper than the book on itself (at least on Amazon.nl)

rudyjuly2

I didn't. But then, I've been stuck at about 10% of Oathbringer for a week or more.

(In general, I hate extra novellas occurring between the main sequence books of a series. Kevin Hearne seriously irritated me doing this with the Iron Druid books -- involving a major plot point -- but I really won't put up with it for anyone.)
I'm not a fan of them either. Sanderson is bad at this too. I remember the novella book after Steelheart was ridiculously over priced for a book < 50 pages. On a separate note, I had purchased a hardcover copy of Steelheart a few years ago and now I can't find it when I think my 13yo son might like to read it. I hate it when I can't find things. I may have lent it to someone too.

ExTended

The thing is Edgedancer is kind of important to Lift and Szeth's story arcs.

You should probably buy Arcanum Unbounded, though. It's only 6$, instead of 11$, and contains a few other short stories, and most of them are actually quite fine. Not outstanding, mind you, but fine... yes.

rudyjuly2

The thing is Edgedancer is kind of important to Lift and Szeth's story arcs.

You should probably buy Arcanum Unbounded, though. It's only 6$, instead of 11$, and contains a few other short stories, and most of them are actually quite fine. Not outstanding, mind you, but fine... yes.
$16 in Canada but definitely the better deal with amount of content.

Edit: I’m not buying either. It’s a ripoff to produce these novellas and ask a crazy price for them. If I miss out so be it. These prices are a blatant cash grab.

Last edited:

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
The cash grab is part of the trad pub industry trying to force people to buy print books. Very often you will find the print version a couple bucks cheaper than the ebook. Then when sales drop they can trumpet the news - ebooks sales are falling! Print is back!

Matticus Primal

The cash grab is part of the trad pub industry trying to force people to buy print books. Very often you will find the print version a couple bucks cheaper than the ebook. Then when sales drop they can trumpet the news - ebooks sales are falling! Print is back!
Yeah, I think a lot of publishers conflate the medium with the product (the story) as they stick to hard/paperbacks in an era of e-books. It's like wine in a way. Yes, there are some who demand their wine to come in a classy (and more expensive) bottle because they were raised that way. But others of us are just interested in the wine itself, so when we hear it comes in a cheaper box, we buy that because we're not interested in the wrapping, rather the content.

And with e-books we have our own container in the kindle we want to fill up with wine/ stories. Yet they insist we pay bottle/ box wine prices because that's the system they're used to (despite lower profit margins).

Reminds me a lot of movie studios doing their damndest to keep first VCRs then streaming services down so as to protect theaters because that's the model they're used to. Instead of adapting, they keep trying to squeeze more profit out of an outmoded system and then wonder why everyone resents them.

Sorry. Rant over.

Peat

Read Two Serpents Rising by Max Gladstone. He's a really exceptional talent in so many ways - ideas, characterisation, prose - but I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as Three Parts Dead, mainly because he hit me over the head with his message more. A shame.

I would also that he likes doing mysteries, which I think is great, but the one thing he's not exceptional at so far is plotting and that's a bit of a bummer. I still love his work but mad affection has settled into something more sober.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Read Two Serpents Rising by Max Gladstone. He's a really exceptional talent in so many ways - ideas, characterisation, prose - but I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as Three Parts Dead, mainly because he hit me over the head with his message more. A shame.
Series is kind of uneven in that regard. Most recent book was like being hit over the head with a message sledgehammer but liked it more than the Last First Snow in terms of plot. I'll keep reading the series and just expect that I won't enjoy each volume evenly.

I was reading Conn Iggluden's Wolf of the Plains, and I loved the book and I shall make a quick post for it.. it was such a quick read for me for a book of this size... as it took me only 3 months to complete ^^ (I know, for many, they could finish 10 books in the same period, but I prefer to be slow with it)

ExTended

I've finished Temeraire book 9 by Naomi Novik, the last in the series. The whole series is quite nice, evenly-paced for the most part. I couldn't say that any particular book from it was a revelation, but barring one or two books from the lot, the over-all quality is if nothing else dependable through and through.

I've started The Widdershin's Adventures book 3 by Ari Marmell. A decent thief-themed series with just a sprinkle of noir-ness about it, but still mostly light-hearted in tone.

I cannot remember whether or not it was the same in the first two books, but in the third it's quite obvious that Ari Marmell knows how to land a joke. Nothing forced, and nothing fancy either, but a solid amount of humor is there, expecting occasional chuckles.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've read 1 novel and 2 novellas in last few days.

Blackwing by Ed McDonald - amazing. Really enjoyed it. If you wanna read more I wrote about it in its dedicated thread as I read it.
The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle - this was one of the novellas. It's based around Cthulhu and set in 1920s New York with the main character being a young black man. The book explores some race issues that were present then (and now), but the overall theme of the story is about a man becoming a monster.
The Squirrel on the Train by Kevin Hearne - this is second novella from the POV of Oberon. These are always fun. They are basically murder mysteries set in Iron Druid world. I adore Oberon and the way Luke Daniel narrates him, so I always get these as an audiobook. That's the way I enjoy them the best, and Oberon always makes me laugh. Hearne really nails the storytelling from a dog's point of view. It's very lighthearted material, but they are really not bad as far as murder mysteries go.

Cyphon

I am about a third of the way through Heart of Veridon by Tim Akers and realized I am not sure if I have seen anyone talk about this book or the series. Has anyone here read it and what are your thoughts.

For my own, I am not fully immersed just yet but the book is hitting a bit of a stride for me.

Kalavan

Read the first 2 Gemmell’s books about the post-apocalyptic gunslinger Jon Shannow, Wolf in Shadow and The Last Guardian.
The first was extremely interesting, but a bit too hasty and crammed with too many different ideas, enjoyable but at times too disjointed – albeit completely different, it reminded me of the first volume of The Black Company.

I’ve liked much more the second book, due to the better, much more vivid characterization of the unyielding and tragic hero, the more fleshed out world-building and the captivating and in the finale surprising plot.

Now onto the last volume of this series, Bloodstone

Peat

Read the first 2 Gemmell’s books about the post-apocalyptic gunslinger Jon Shannow, Wolf in Shadow and The Last Guardian.
The first was extremely interesting, but a bit too hasty and crammed with too many different ideas, enjoyable but at times too disjointed – albeit completely different, it reminded me of the first volume of The Black Company.

I’ve liked much more the second book, due to the better, much more vivid characterization of the unyielding and tragic hero, the more fleshed out world-building and the captivating and in the finale surprising plot.

Now onto the last volume of this series, Bloodstone
That's the only Gemmell series I haven't really read - how does it stack up to his other books?

Kalavan

That's the only Gemmell series I haven't really read - how does it stack up to his other books?
Extremely well, please consider that I tend to be a bit enthusiastic in my initial assessments, but I'd say that if Bloodstone is on par with the second installment this series could compete with the Rigante and Echoes of the Great Song for the top spot

Peat

Extremely well, please consider that I tend to be a bit enthusiastic in my initial assessments, but I'd say that if Bloodstone is on par with the second installment this series could compete with the Rigante and Echoes of the Great Song for the top spot
Woof. Heady praise indeed (also I like that you use the same touchstones as me). I'll have to circle back round some time.

ofer

Been a while...anyway, over the last few months I mainly read standalones. Currently I'm reading The Golem and the Jinni by Helen Wecker. Early days yet, but so far there's a good atmosphere.

rudyjuly2

Off topic, if you like plots with good story lines that are realistic within their context, meaningful characters and an overall story line that advances in a good way then don’t see the new Star Wars movie. It has almost none of those things.

The Rey and Luke stuff was good. There were some good action scenes and some humour. But most of the overall story was garbage. Nothing more than a meaningless galactic star chase with many questionable elements. Most of the movie is ultimately filler and for a movie that is very long it was ridiculous. Just wondering when it would finally end. Reused major plot point of ep6 along with the usual subplot “must get shield down so we can do X”. Cash grab. Rotten tomatoes I still on the take for giving it over 90%. Most user reviews out there are far more critical.