It's December 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Ryan W. Mueller

Journeyed there and back again
@Darth Tater, I felt that Oathbringer started slow, but around the halfway point, it really picked up. I didn't like it quite as much as Words of Radiance, but that book is one of my all-time favorites.

As far as orders and spren and all that, I don't worry too much about them. I get the basics, and I just go along for the ride with some of the specifics.

Darth Tater

@Darth Tater, I felt that Oathbringer started slow, but around the halfway point, it really picked up. I didn't like it quite as much as Words of Radiance, but that book is one of my all-time favorites.

As far as orders and spren and all that, I don't worry too much about them. I get the basics, and I just go along for the ride with some of the specifics.
Yeah. I’m doing the same. I’ll leave it up to great scholars to sort the rest out. It isn’t like THAT is what I’ll remember in the long run.

Not sure if people know this. I didn’t until yesterday. I read that this ten book series will be in five book segments. Meaning the series will end after five books and books 6-10 will be the sequel series with some characters returning. So, if accurate, this is good news to me. I’m also glad this book finally explained what was going on in the book one prelude.,

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I'm almost done with Kings of the Wyld. Great book, I'm really enjoying it. It's traditional fantasy adventure, but at the same time it successfully makes fun of fantasy tropes. I love the worldbuilding, well developed lore and numerous and varied monsters and races.
The main characters are well developed, middle aged men so I kind of relate better with them than I would with 18 yo kid.
There's plenty of snark and humour. I'm particularly fond of the wizard.

Derk of Derkholm

On book 2 of “Riddlemaster of Hed”, quite nice!

Alice Sabo

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
Just finished Strange Practice by Vivian Shaw. A light-hearted book that I really enjoyed. It's about a human doctor who cares for the supernatural community in London. Bone replacements for mummies. A demon with COPD. It has some very humorous moments, but they do get themselves into a bit of nasty trouble. Easy to read. Think of it as a palate cleanser between heavier courses - literary sorbet.