It's December 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I've just finished A Song for Arbonne by GGK. It's a real shame, but I can only say I really disliked the book. No engaging characters, bleak world-building, dumb dialogue. Very surprising, as Tigana is one of my favorite fantasy books. I almost can't believe it's from the same writer as this book.

I am now diving into some non-fiction. After that I might give the Greatcoats series a try, as several people here seemed to like that.

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
I've just finished A Song for Arbonne by GGK. It's a real shame, but I can only say I really disliked the book. No engaging characters, bleak world-building, dumb dialogue. Very surprising, as Tigana is one of my favorite fantasy books. I almost can't believe it's from the same writer as this book.

I am now diving into some non-fiction. After that I might give the Greatcoats series a try, as several people here seemed to like that.
I loved the Greatcoats series.

Peat

Dipped back into The Poppy War. Wonderful segment of shamanic initiation, then we hit the war and I'm not so captivated again.

Peat

Is that wall the invasion of the city? The first one?
Yeah.

I remember you once saying you liked your epic fantasy like a casserole with a touch of everything. So do I, but I feel like I'm eating a casserole with lots of pepper and ice cream instead of dumplings.

And yet it might just work.

Khartun

Starting Orb Sceptre Throne by ICE. It will be good to get back to world of Malazan. I've heard this is one of the better ICE books.

Peat

So I finished The Poppy War after being interested then losing interest then regaining it about 3 or 4 times.

The darkest parts of this book are, for once, among the best. Its darkness for a reason and Exhibit A of how Fantasy can be great at tackling real world problems - there's not much appetite for a book on the Rape of Nanjang and other instances of Japanese cruelty, but there is an an appetite for a fantasy book that includes them tactfully in an interesting story. I can see how it would jar but it didn't jar me.

And then I raced through the ending so I could end it.

I really don't know what to think about this book. It feels like 5 different books in once, some breathtakingly good and others that I would not finish. I suppose that taken as a journey I'm happy I read it and read it all. I'm happy enough to have read it that I was mildly excited to see a publication date for the sequel.

Would I recommend it to others? Yes, but with reservations.

In a weird way, I'd say the book is a lot like Eye of the World. Its an interesting story with an emphasis on internal growth and truama that's somewhat let down by the decision to start it in a super cliched way that doesn't really add much unless you're a fan of that cliche for the sake of that cliche.

Matticus Primal

I'm of the mind the sequel will be better for the sheer fact she got the setup out of the way and can now focus on the story. The school and Atlan (sic?) were the parts that bored me the most, while the gods/ shaman were pretty damn cool. I think she can fully embrace her fantasy conceit for the second book, so will definitely read it when it comes out.

Nicolas Eames, Phil Tucker and Bookworm Blues all recommended Chasing Graves in a row when I logged into twitter this morning, which I am taking as a sign to get back to it.

kenubrion

I'm in the middle of the last of the books Rob Hayes has written about this world he has built, The Fifth Empire of Man, part two of The Best Laid Plans duology. Now I'm like everyone else anxiously waiting his next. I'm wondering if the It Takes a Thief books are worth reading?

Matticus Primal

I'm in the middle of the last of the books Rob Hayes has written about this world he has built, The Fifth Empire of Man, part two of The Best Laid Plans duology. Now I'm like everyone else anxiously waiting his next. I'm wondering if the It Takes a Thief books are worth reading?
It Takes A Thief was actually the first book I read by Hayes and it's enjoyable if not groundbreaking. Non-grimdark heist novels set in a Frenchish world with alchemy instead of outright magic. Husband and wife thieves with loads of witty dialogue.

kenubrion

It Takes A Thief was actually the first book I read by Hayes and it's enjoyable if not groundbreaking. Non-grimdark heist novels set in a Frenchish world with alchemy instead of outright magic. Husband and wife thieves with loads of witty dialogue.
Thanks Matticus, I was hoping you knew something about it. Also there is a sequel to Kings of Paradise pre-ordering for January something, called Kings of Ash. I have put aside book 1 during my RobHayes-a-thon but will finish it soon.

Cyphon

Haven't been active here in awhile and haven't really read anything but did finally pick up Iron Gold. Loved the original trilogy so figured this was the way to go to spark me back into reading. About 300 pages in and so far I have mixed feelings I guess. There are 4 different POV's and while all are enjoyable enough I am finding that I really only care about the Darrow POV. So there isn't really anything I can fault the book for other than my own interest being in just 1 of the 4 POV's.

kenubrion

Haven't been active here in awhile and haven't really read anything but did finally pick up Iron Gold. Loved the original trilogy so figured this was the way to go to spark me back into reading. About 300 pages in and so far I have mixed feelings I guess. There are 4 different POV's and while all are enjoyable enough I am finding that I really only care about the Darrow POV. So there isn't really anything I can fault the book for other than my own interest being in just 1 of the 4 POV's.
I still haven't read book three but I have it. That will be my next one since you have reminded me. Book two was sort of jarring to me and not fun like the first one.

Cyphon

I still haven't read book three but I have it. That will be my next one since you have reminded me. Book two was sort of jarring to me and not fun like the first one.
I want to go back to the original trilogy at some point. Just always something new waiting for me. I think book 2 of the new trilogy is scheduled for summer 2019.

kenubrion

Book 2 was very different from book 1 which was similar to Hunger Games. But I enjoyed all 3 books and book two was really good imo.
I think what happened to our hero after all he had already gone through was depressing or something, it's been a while. Anyway Morning Star has five full stars even at 2432 reviews, never seen that before for any book. I'm excited about reading it but sad that I've run out of Rob Hayes' books. Highest recommendation to those who haven't read The Heresy Within, the first book. Don't have to rec the rest as you won't be able to stop and his books are only $4.99.