It's December 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Well I finished The Burning White by Brent Weeks, final book of a 5 part series. Overall I was disappointed in it. At no point was I so entranced that I needed to keep reading. Most of the time I would read for 10-20 minutes and then quit. I think the time off between books 4 and 5 hurt me. There were places and people I couldn't remember well enought and the author didn't really help jog our memory very well either. My favourite characters were still there but all the stories felt less fun. I don't know. I loved the first 4 books of this series and gave them all 5/5. The characters, comraderie, story telling and mystery were all fantastic. But this final book just fell flat. There were parts that I felt were too slow or overly political and then other parts that I thought were going to be big and were rushed. It just didn't capture me like the first four books - not even close. Hopefully others liked it but this was a let down.

I'd give it a 3.5/5 and on Goodreads it's a 3/5. Can't do a 4.

rudyjuly2

Might read Blackwing next or Starsight. After seeing more WOT news I’m actually hoping for a more traditional epic fantasy to come along. All new age or grim dark isn’t good either. I will still root for that teenage farm boy (or girl) to defeat evil.

kenubrion

I'm reading two books as usual, ABatch's new book The End of All Things and Blood of Empire, Brian McClellan's new book in the Powder Mage series. Both books are the final books in each great series and I strongly suggest reading The End of All Things as soon as you can, it's great.

Maark Abbott

I finished Black Sun Rising which I really enjoyed. Solid 7.5/10 for me. I have moved on to A Song for Arbonne next.