It's December 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Well I finished The Burning White by Brent Weeks, final book of a 5 part series. Overall I was disappointed in it. At no point was I so entranced that I needed to keep reading. Most of the time I would read for 10-20 minutes and then quit. I think the time off between books 4 and 5 hurt me. There were places and people I couldn't remember well enought and the author didn't really help jog our memory very well either. My favourite characters were still there but all the stories felt less fun. I don't know. I loved the first 4 books of this series and gave them all 5/5. The characters, comraderie, story telling and mystery were all fantastic. But this final book just fell flat. There were parts that I felt were too slow or overly political and then other parts that I thought were going to be big and were rushed. It just didn't capture me like the first four books - not even close. Hopefully others liked it but this was a let down.

I'd give it a 3.5/5 and on Goodreads it's a 3/5. Can't do a 4.

rudyjuly2

Might read Blackwing next or Starsight. After seeing more WOT news I’m actually hoping for a more traditional epic fantasy to come along. All new age or grim dark isn’t good either. I will still root for that teenage farm boy (or girl) to defeat evil.

kenubrion

I'm reading two books as usual, ABatch's new book The End of All Things and Blood of Empire, Brian McClellan's new book in the Powder Mage series. Both books are the final books in each great series and I strongly suggest reading The End of All Things as soon as you can, it's great.

Maark Abbott

I finished Black Sun Rising which I really enjoyed. Solid 7.5/10 for me. I have moved on to A Song for Arbonne next.

rudyjuly2

Well Age of Myth has more old school stuff in it. I’m only about 100 pages in but the Fhrey/elves is a tribute (although elves are in the Ryria books and this is a distant prequel) along with mystics and magic I think this could be interesting. Not sure what the overall destination is or how epic this will be but I am intrigued.

Edit: I will say I am annoyed that my Kindle version does not have page numbers. Only location. How on earth does any book released to Kindle in the last 10 years have this problem?

Last edited:

Cyphon

My reading has been so spotty this year but I am about to start The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Hanrahan. Got it as a birthday gift and decided it is time to get back into something.

On another note what is happening around here? I remember plenty of activity in the past but every time I drop in now the place is dead. Not that I have been posting either but it is kind of sad to see the lack of conversation.

rudyjuly2

Tom and a lot of other people seemed to have left. I still don't know if the message boards allow new blood to register which has been a huge problem. Even the mods seemed to have disappeared. The December thread isn't stickied while November is still up.

kenubrion

Well Tom and Ben dropped by a couple months ago and Ben implied that he would be getting involved again. Sorta what Tom said too. I'm curious about Silvion. When he was here we were getting more participation. Same with Alucard and Dracula backwards. Although she was here not too long ago.

I'm still reading The End of All things by ABatch and Blood of Empire by Brian McClellan. Both are excellent and it's great to be back in the favorite worlds.

Cyphon

Well Tom and Ben dropped by a couple months ago and Ben implied that he would be getting involved again. Sorta what Tom said too. I'm curious about Silvion. When he was here we were getting more participation. Same with Alucard and Dracula backwards. Although she was here not too long ago.

I'm still reading The End of All things by ABatch and Blood of Empire by Brian McClellan. Both are excellent and it's great to be back in the favorite worlds.
Well hopefully we get some people dropping back by and increasing activity again. First thing for me is increasing my reading.

I am a fan of the Empire stuff myself so what do you think about this trilogy compared to the original? I have Blood of Empire on my X-Mas list so haven't been able to grab it yet just incase but I am looking forward to it.

mizztara71

Dueled with Lord Voldemort
I just started re-reading The Name of the Wind so that I can finally move on to the second book. For some reason, I keep moving on to other books. I did the same thing with Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow trilogy. Loved the first book and then stopped with the series.

kenubrion

Well hopefully we get some people dropping back by and increasing activity again. First thing for me is increasing my reading.

I am a fan of the Empire stuff myself so what do you think about this trilogy compared to the original? I have Blood of Empire on my X-Mas list so haven't been able to grab it yet just incase but I am looking forward to it.
Cy, I think this second trilogy is as you say you're hoping for Blood of Empire, and have you read the first two books? Probably a good idea with so much that is referred to those. So far I'm not liking Blood as much as the first ones, but it's because the first half is developing the threads in advance of the big finish.

rudyjuly2

I really enjoyed Age of Myth. It’s old school in many ways. We have magic, a form of elves and possibly dwarves. There are mentions of giants and goblins. There are mystics and spirits and rhunes and mystery. This, in many ways, is an old school epic fantasy but this first book is just setting up the epic part. The first half of this book was a bit slower and the second half really picked up with a great finish. I liked the interactions between human and fhrey (elf) and there were a few plot twists here and there. There were not a crazy number of characters to remember. It’s a tightly told story and I appreciate not having to remember so many different characters.

I read this book in 8 days (it’s relatively short for fantasy at under 500 pages). My time to read usually indicates how much I like a book and I was busy at work so this was a quick number. So I give this a 4.5/5 and round up to a generous 5. It might be a tad high but I really enjoyed it and look forward to book 2.

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

I should add that Age of Myth is different from the Ryria books. I read one of the trilogies and enjoyed them but those books are more fun, almost YA type books. Age of Myth is more serious and is set 3000 years before Ryria but it might as well be an entirely new series as it feels unrelated.

Cyphon

Cy, I think this second trilogy is as you say you're hoping for Blood of Empire, and have you read the first two books? Probably a good idea with so much that is referred to those. So far I'm not liking Blood as much as the first ones, but it's because the first half is developing the threads in advance of the big finish.
I read his original trilogy and the first 2 in this one. Not really sure which of the 2 trilogies I like better to this point though. I have enjoyed both quite a bit.

rudyjuly2

I finished Age of Swords. I liked it and will give it a 4/5 but I would like a few more twists and turns. The first two books have had a couple twists but for the most part the story is simple and you see where everything is going for the most part. This series has good potential and I hope the rest of the series has some bigger, surprising moments. It was a little too focused on recreating the wheel (pun intended for those that read it).