It's December 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

Still slowly reading Rhythm of War. On page 375 and believe it or not, virtually nothing of importance has actually happened. Everything outside of one fight has felt like a set up for something else. Brandon Sanderson is really channeling Robert Jordan for padding books and page counts lol. Be nice to be hooked on an interesting plot line.

Cyphon

Merry Christmas to you as well! Honestly haven't even thought about Rhythm of War just yet because I am doing the 2nd Red Rising trilogy book 2. After that I will probably start RoW but I did get 4 new books for Christmas. Age of Myth by Michael J. Sullivan, Unsouled by Will Wight, The Bard's Blade by Brian D. Anderson, and Hero Forgedby Josh Erikson. None of them are especially long so coming off of a tome like Dark Age I may read through one or two of those before jumping into another monster.

kenubrion

True, but I think it looks to be developing into an interesting way.
What with him being bonded to a corrupted spren and all... I wonder if that means he might turn bad?

Absolutely. The reveal of why he can't remember anything about his dead wife was great.

I'm torn on Shallan. I actually do like her split personality thing, but there are times when she is annoying, specially when she's trying to be funny. I don't think Sanderson has nailed that down, yet.

Kaladin is (so far) the most prototypical "heroic" character in the series. I guess I'm a sucker for tropes because I like him, anyway, but a part of me kind of wants his arc to develop in unexpected ways.
Hey afa. Network Effect is on sale today, not sure if you already bought it but $2.99 for the full novel size book. I started All Systems Red again over the weekend based on your enthusiasm and the fact that I bought the first three for $2.99 each and now the fifth. Maybe I'll get lucky by the time I need book four. Thanks for the heads up on it, I'm loving it. After finishing Tiamat's Wrath I was sort of lost for what to read and I wanted to stay in the sci-fi genre.

afa

Hey afa. Network Effect is on sale today, not sure if you already bought it but $2.99 for the full novel size book. I started All Systems Red again over the weekend based on your enthusiasm and the fact that I bought the first three for $2.99 each and now the fifth. Maybe I'll get lucky by the time I need book four. Thanks for the heads up on it, I'm loving it. After finishing Tiamat's Wrath I was sort of lost for what to read and I wanted to stay in the sci-fi genre.
Dammit! Looks like the sale is on the US store only. Amazon Canada is still selling at full price...

Cyphon

About 400 pages into Dark Age and had some thoughts on it.

This book is kind of dense at times when it comes to the writing and at points can feel a bit slow, but if you love the original trilogy you should find enough here to still make it a solid book until you get to the points that really remind you of why the original was so great. Brown is very George Martin-ish in that you never feel comfortable who is going to be around to see the end of these books and there aren't a lot of happy moments and endings. As I am reading I hit some stretches where I am like "yeah I am enjoying this but I wouldn't necessarily put a high recommendation on it" and then you hit these sort of mini Red Wedding scenes if you will, and damn.

Basically what I am saying is this. If you are a big fan of the original trilogy you should definitely give these a chance. As a new reader who never read the first three I wouldn't recommend them.

One last thought. It is a bit like Wheel of Time in that way. Once you are hooked you can make it through the down books because you are invested and can still find fun in the characters. These are sort of like that but it isn't a 3 books slog. It is a few chapter slog and then you hit the highs and it is all worth the investment.

rudyjuly2

Happy New Year!

Took almost 500 pages but Rhythm of War really picked up. A big event and interesting things happening. Hope it stays good through the end. On page 750. Only 500 more to go lol.