It's February 2017. What fantasy book(s) are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Fantam

Fantam Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I must admit that I would not have expected that from good fantasy or the write up I read of that book. Thanks for highlighting it.

2. Peat

Peat Became a Faceless Man

Just read The Emperor's Edge by Lindsay Buroker. I'd describe it as Hollywood fantasy - dumb cliched fun.

3. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

When the Heavens Fall by Marc Turner. Tor sent this to me before publication like a year or two ago and I am just now getting around to it. Oops.

I can't help but feel like I have read this before. I don't mean this actual book, but many of the concepts and themes are just not new. One Amazon reviewer described it as 80s/90s throwback fantasy and I can see that.

4. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Yeah, I read that one about a year back. And it was worth everything I paid for it, which was nothing. Not bad, but just perfunctory. And loose; like it was being made up on the fly. Not bad but not good either.

5. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Surgebinds with Szeth-son-son-Vallano

I'm about 75% through book 6 of WOT and this has been my slowest read bit it's picked up. I've been busy at times but the book started out so slow that I simply didn't read as much. I think the author got a bit too carried away with world building at times. Have to say I was a bit blown away by

Egwene being named Amyrlin. Stunned me but in a very cool way. Also nice to have Min back. Still disappointed that Perrin was missing all of book 5 and barely mentioned in this book so far. Loved his character and story in book 4. I also miss Moraine and Lan.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

As I figured I need some joy and happiness in my life I've decided to start on the Science of Discworld: Part 1 by Terry Pratchett.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fantam

Fantam Ran bridges next to Kaladin

So glad that you are enjoying this series. Brings back happy memories. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

It's only ever for a paragraph or two at the very most but you get a beginning, middle and end to each coupling, near enough. It doesn't really disrupt the flow of the books but it could be jarring for people who aren't used to or aren't keen on such sauce.

9. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I finished Good Omens a little earlier, and was quite indifferent to it in the end. It's fantastically written and is so funny at times, but once this layer was peeled back the actual story was fairly weak, the characters didn't do a lot for me, and there was quite a lot going on for what is a fairly short book .. it may have been just a tad over-complicated for its own good .. more so than it needed to be.

3/5

10. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

I am just approaching the end, on roughly my fourth read of it over the last 20 years or so. I have to agree, the end is disappointing - but on the strength of the first 80-85% I would rate it much higher than 3/5 - maybe 9/10?

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I completed a book "Split Second" by Douglas E. Richards that I took a flyer on since it was only $1.99. He is always on the New York times bestseller lists but you never know. The fact that his books seem to be on sale every other month concerned me.

I know there is a cliche that a book was too good to put down, but let me tell you this one really was difficult to take a beak fronm. It is science fiction. Not the outer space kind but deals with physics, theories of time travel and action from after the first few pages until the end. I don't know anything about physics, but on the parts where he did touch on them he did a good job of explaining so that you at least know what was going on. I didn't feel too bad because most of the characters in the book could not deal with the paradoxes presented. Really cool and it makes you think about moral and ethical issues of time travel as well as other parts involved in it.

99.999% takes place on earth in our time. he takes 17 pages at the end to tell you what Is real about the story and what is not. The book I read was two dollars for one day but it is still only three dollars. At least at this moment. There is another one that is on sale for $1.99 until the end of the month but I am definitely getting it today. I recently completed the first book of the old man's war And as much as I enjoyed it I liked this one much more. I would highly recommend one of his books. At least the one that I read.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Peat

Been trying to make friends with John Gwynne's Malice and failing utterly.

13. Darth Tater

Crud. I avoided it for so long but after hearing so many good things I figured it would be a "funny book" that was actually funny. I bought it last week, and was planning to read it in March. Figures.

Been spending a lot of time reading recently. Starting The Dread Worm today. Book 3 of The Traitor Son Cycle series. Can't wait! :joyful: Through two books I absolutely love the series but sure hope the unacceptable editing improves.

14. Peat

Don't worry Darth Tater, Tom's wrong about Good Omens ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Jakyro

Jakyro Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I agree with every comment; it was indeed funny at times but I also thought the story was on the weak side. I didn't like much of the characters either
    My score was only 2/5

I'm still reading "The Bonehunters", MBotF 6. I'm half way through now and I'm liking this one a lot!!! I'm not advancing quickly enough though ... I would love to read more, but I just don't seem to find the time

• Like Like x 1
  16. TomTB

I think I'm actually quite hard to please, which you wouldn't believe by looking at my wife.

:bag:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Darth Tater

Wow.

18. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

Gods preserve you if she reads this column!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. TomTB

Of course I'm joking.

She's as beautiful as she was the day I met her.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

*clap clap clap * "Good save! Good Save! *clap clap clap*:facepalm: