It's February 2017. What fantasy book(s) are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Peat

Peat Became a Faceless Man

Well played sir.

To be slightly less glib - its not the first time I've heard people say that about Good Omens and won't be the last, I think there are some structural weaknesses there, but I know a lot of people who really love it as well. It will be interesting to see where our new guinea pig falls on the subject. I have to say, I had been in a similar school of thought to Tom until I reread it recently; funny how it happens sometimes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Answer should be forthcoming in about a month.

Both had excellent Amazon reviews from best to worst % based on 5 stars. Both Hitchhikers (hated) and Good Omens (TBD) had around
    2 ,000.

Been thinking about trying out a Pratchett Discworld book Really liked Gaiman's Ocean at the End Of The Lane, two short story collections: Trigger Warning and Fragile Things which were decent (although Click Clack The Rattle Bag in the former still gives me total chills), :nailbiting: and didn't care for Neverwhere.

H.H. 69,16, 7,4,4
    G.O. 74, 14, 6,3,3

3. Darth Tater

Anyone who publicly declares his wife isn't good to look at most likely has a wife who is totally HOT! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

Its interesting - I have just re-read Good Omens, and concluded that it is not up to the best of work by either of those authors working separately. But the question remains; would they (individually) have been so good if they hadn't gone through the learning experience of doing this one together?
    Opinions welcome.

5. Darth Tater

Wait!! Together? There are TWO??

6. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Er... yes? Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Darth Tater

:walkingdead:
    Ohhhh. Whew. When I saw that post I was in a panic and thought there were two books. Because I believe there is a white cover and a black cover. Thanks for the quick response! Pulse back to normal....check...stting in corner...check...dunce cap on head...check...:bag::wacky:

8. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

"The Nice And Accurate Prophecies . . . " and "The Further Nice And Accurate Prophecies . . . "
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

That's still not going to cut it. You aren't saying whether she was beautiful back then (and therefore whether she's beautiful now).

10. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Just finished Prince of Thorns and give it a good 4/5. The writing was strong and the world pretty interesting, but the story felt sort of perfunctory towards the end. As in I never really thought Jorg was in any danger. Sure his supporting cast was whittled away throughout, but I never really got to know any of them in the first place, so it wasn't like a great loss. And the main baddie just sort of came out of nowhere at the end, so I again didn't really care about defeating him.

Started the first in the Iron Druid series afterward and am enjoying it so far. Except for the Irish pronunciation guide. Almost got a DNF just from trying to get my head around how ch is pronounced like an h akin to a Spanish j.

11. Tragoidia

Tragoidia Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Finished Magnus Chase 2. It was enjoyable at the end. Fairly predictable, but still worth the read. (6.5-7/10)

Finally started The Lies of Locke Lamora. I'm 60 pages in and I already love it. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Still reading AFTWB on the Kindle, but I'd unintentionally taken a bit of a break from it due to some non-fiction asides.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I am reading Necessary Evil (book 3 of the Milkweed series) by Ian Tregillis. It is alternate history but with both fantasy and sci fi elements so it doesn't really fit into any one category.

Also still on When the Heavens Fall by Marc Turner and I am finally feeling more invested in this than I was a week ago, but I still don't find it that innovative.

13. ExTended

ExTended Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I am making my slow progress through The Bear And The Nightingale by Katherine Arden.

There is certainly something special in Russian fantasy( or Russian-themed fantasy, as is the case of this book).

It carries you far away, but it also keep you well on the ground with its prose and tone. And even the more non-chalant stories carry with them the lesson that nature is harsh and unforgiving, and as human beings we are part of this nature, whether we like it or not.

I haven't finished the book yet, but as many other fantasy books which take place in Medieval or modern Russia, it's a nice way to change your reading landscape now and then by picking one of those moody stories between the more popular Western fantasy works.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mordecai Illeniel

Mordecai Illeniel Helped Logen count his fingers

I'm struggling to get in to "The Dragonbone Chair" by Tad Williams. This is third time I'm trying it, and since I started it this time I've read 5 other books. I'm 20% into the book, but dear God this is testing me. Why is this book so slow? So many useless pages that serve nothing! Please tell me it picks up the pace, because I'm not sure I'll come back to it if I leave it now.

15. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Not really. More of the same. The last half of book 3 has some action. The only consolation is bragging about reading it.

16. Mordecai Illeniel

Mordecai Illeniel Helped Logen count his fingers

Thanks for clearing that out. This is only the second book that I've seen being recommended around here that didnt work for me (other one being "Sword of Truth") and I'm really not picky. I give up.

17. JHBSmith

JHBSmith Stood on the wall with Druss

Part way through the first book of Codex Alera - enjoyable so far, though not as much as Jim Butcher's other series yet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hikerike

Hikerike Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry

Reading The Death of Dulgath by Michael J Sullivan, about 30% done. I absolutely love his work. So easy to get into and always a good story with new and interesting characters and great pace.
    How do people here rate Sullivan? I personally love him but still dont rate him as highly as i would Sanderson or even Rothfuss. Im not sure why, maybe because i feel that Sullivans work lacks that little extra. Like i dont think so much about his world when i go about my day, there are no big questions or mysteries/theories i think about. But when i do pick up a book by Sullivan i know im in for a fast paced and action filled couple of hours of good reading.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ryan W. Mueller

I'm kind of surprised that someone around here recommended Sword of Truth.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Ryan W. Mueller

I'm of a pretty similar opinion about Sullivan. I really enjoy reading his books. His strengths are in his characters and his pacing. His worlds are not as developed as you see with someone like Sanderson. His magic is not as interesting.

But every writer has different strengths, and I'm not always in the mood for just one type of story.

• Agree Agree x 1