It's February 2017. What fantasy book(s) are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Theophania

Theophania Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Reading 13 Bullets (Laura Caxton 1) - enjoying it so far. Body count in triple figures, lots of gore, vampires that definitely don't sparkle and are not sexy. Could do with a bit more character development, but maybe that comes in the second half. Technically it's horror, but since I don't read horror because it gives me nightmares, I'm defining it as fantasy.

I feel the same - Dresden Files is one of my all-time favourite series. Codex Alera is still good, though, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Of course, Butcher has now started a new series - starts with The Aeronaut's Windlass.

2. JHBSmith

JHBSmith Stood on the wall with Druss

I actually really like Aeronaut's Windlass - though that's only a one book series so far, so again, Dresden's got the advantage. I've heard Alera's pretty well regarded overall, and this book is certainly good enough to keep going with the rest.

3. Ryan W. Mueller

Ryan W. Mueller Ran bridges next to Kaladin

To me, Codex Alera is pretty much classic fantasy combined with the high octane action you expect from Butcher. If you're looking for something revolutionary, you're looking in the wrong place. But if you want to read six very fun books, then it's the series for you.

I still rank it as one of my favorite all-time series because it was just so much fun to read.

I'm thinking I might reread it once I've had a lot of time to forget most of the details.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Theophania

Theophania Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Absolutely. From what I've read, it's the sword-and-sorcery fantasy Butcher really always wanted to write. I don't think he was intending to write great literature - just a really good story, like the ones he had got hooked on.

5. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I've always thought Aeronaut's Windlass was part of the Dresden Files. I'll have to check it out after I'm finished with the Dresden books.
    Speaking of which, I'm half-way through Dead Beat. It might actually be my favourite Files book so far, although it's a bit too early to tell. I was thinking of taking a short break after this one too, as I've been listening to the Dresden Files since December 1st last year and I'm not particularly keen on burning out when the series is getting really good. We'll see how that goes though, the series is seriously addictive.

On another note, I've also been reading some classical literature for a course on Greek mythology. Not really fantasy, I don't think, but close enough. I've recently finished Hesiod's Theogony and Works and Days and I'm currently reading Oddysey at a leisurely pace. I'll probably be starting Homeric Hymns or Greek tragedies soon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Codex Alera is easily on my top 10 list. Like all Butcher books, I could do without every main character escaping a near brush with death in every single book. But a lot of fun. Very likeable characters.

I bought Dresden 1-7 on a Kindle deal for $2 each. I enjoyed it but not as much as most. I always looked forward to the Bob the skull parts. I know many say the series picks up as it goes. I only see it as getting darker. I've had book 7 on my TBR forever. Something happens at the end of book 7 that has me curious. Not enough to get to the next one yet. They all run together in my head. Vampires, relationship and wizard counsel problems, Harry almost dying at least twice, etc. Each seemed like it was the same format. Again, IMO, a good series.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  7. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Sounds great Andrew, I always get this huge grin on my face whenever I see someone saying good things about the series, especially about at the earlier books. Dead Beat is indeed a step up from books 1-6, but keep in mind later on the series will take a huge leap again. I really need book 16 right now. Seriously it's almost 3 years since the last one:(

8. Darth Tater

Just completed The Dread Wyrm. Book 3 of The Traitor Son Cycle. I'm just loving the series. The weaknesses are the editing, main characters pretty much (or totally) dead getting up and walking around like they just got over a head cold, and a crappy map. There were too many characters in the first couple of books but he did much better in this. Love the setting, tone, and characters! I like where this is all headed. There is also a some well executed comic relief to break the tension. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Jacob Fulton

Jacob Fulton Possibly a Darkfriend

I just picked up the Fifth Season by H.K. Jemison I'm a tad behind the times.

10. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

It's the best way to be Jacob! No impatient tap footing for folks like us waiting for 'ol Rothfuss to pull his finger out ...

Welcome to the forum!

11. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Journeyed there and back again

Finished up Hounded, the first book in the Iron Druid series. It was a good, quick read with some interesting concepts that probably could have been executed better. Still solid stuff though with loads of Irish gods thrown in, which was fairly new to me.

My only Urban Fantasy experience comes from a few Dresden books as well as the Anita Blake series, and this one falls easily into this mold. Hell, it's pretty well an amalgamation of those two series. And I mean that in the best possible way.

The only real complaint I have against it is probably more aimed at the subgenre itself in that there's an overabundance of allies, all of which sort of drown out the protag with their own backstories/ powers/ agendas. So on one hand it's pretty cool that there are so many interesting characters populating this world. But on the other, there's always someone nearby with that specific skill the protag needs to take care of a situation. So this sort of reduces the tension rather than ever raising it. It also tends to lead to a bunch of discussions between the characters as they explain themselves rather than letting their actions do the talking.

Anyways, minor quibbles. I'll probably read more in the series some day, but don't feel an overwhelming need to go pick up the next book in the series. So I guess I'd probably define this one as a good fantasy beach read.

12. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Listening to Sabriel. It's narrated by Tim Curry, and his voice is so perfect and creepy. I'm in love.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Finished The Ninth Rain by Jen Williams.

It doesn't quite live up to its start, which I found electrifying, but it is still pretty darn good. I really liked the core trio of characters and how they interact with each other, which is pretty much always a train to fun town. The pace of it to begin with is really good with plenty of nice twists.

Where it goes wrong I think, or at least for me, is that a lot of the later plot reveals feel very telegraphed and robbed me of the "Oh damn" moments that would have sealed the deal.

Still recommend it. Probably best for people who'd like a more fantastical less cynical Abercrombie, or who want something that takes the character led fun of Jim Butcher's stuff and puts it in a very S&S environment.

14. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Possibly a Darkfriend

I finished the 2 Tales of the Kin books and am now on to the second Earthsea book.

15. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Currently reading Beyond Redemption by Michael R Fletcher.

16. Darth Tater

Completed "The Ghost Brigades". Book 2 of 6 in The Old Man's War series by John Scalzi. Highly impressed so far. Very exciting and brings in ethical and moral issues.

This one was even better than the first. The first 60 pages were slow and then once it just took off. A very powerful ending. The book had a little too much technical scientific stuff for my liking. I thought the one character from the last book would be the main focus but it was another character from book 1 that had a very large role .

Something stated in book 1 didn't jive with the impression you are left with at the end of book 2 so something is headed south. Just looking at the title to book 5 implies another thread will be followed.

I wouldn't recommend it because these books can easily be read in 2 days. At $9 a pop that is a lot. But getting the entire series for $3 each? Perfect!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Started A Conjuring of Light by V.E. Schwab today.

18. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I'm about to finish book1 OMW, and I'm happy to hear book 2 gets better. I'm finding it enjoyable enough, an uncomplicated story, which as light entertainment works.
    However, there are sections, which come across as rather simplistic and convenient. I wish I could squeeze more out of the plot and characters. I bought the series, like you, on offer so I will eat these light bites in between other more demanding stories.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Darth Tater

Agreed. Nothing heavy as expected but fun (for me) nevertheless. IMO, book 2 builds on book 1 and explores some of the practices used, and the Colonial organization itself. The characters are confronted with several decisions and what ARE their own "decisions"? Who are the bad guys? Still, it "is what it is". An "airplane ride book". Which is why I would never spend $9 on one. If book 2 doesn't float your proverbial boat then I doubt you'll like the rest. Is it one of those books that guys like better?

Still...I take breaks between them as with all series. At any rate, hopefully it improves for you. :)

• Like Like x 1