It's February 2018: What fantasy books are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Still chewing on Oathbringer. The Shallan sections are so uninteresting to me I have thought about simply quitting. I think this book could use more characters woven into the story, particularly if they are grey and hopefully interesting. I'm over 700 pages in and still have 500+ to go!

Darth Tater

Guy Gavriel Kay is my favorite fantasy author and it takes years for him to write a new one so I’ve been spreading out the ones I have remaining and only read one every year. They are draining emotionally so I need that long to recover before I start a new one. Right now I just started reading Children Of Earth And Sky. I will have two remaining after this. (I’m skipping Ysabel (YA) and Arbonne isnt on Kindle for some reason..

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not fantasy, but I'm still listening to It. It's a loooong book :D
Still listening to The Stand. Only 15 hours left and it feels like I'm nearing the end, despite there being 15 hours left which is longer than your average audiobook lol

Matticus Primal

I just finished The Black Shriving by Phil Tucker and now I'm starting The Siege of Abythos. If you haven't read The Chronicles of the Black Gate series I highly recommend it. It's very good.
I've been drinking, so don't remember if I've mentioned Tucker put out a second book in a different series last week. Because yeah, he puts out multiple series at the same time. In fact, he turned down a trad-publishing deal because he would only be allowed to put out one book a year.

Maark Abbott

Still chewing on Oathbringer. The Shallan sections are so uninteresting to me I have thought about simply quitting. I think this book could use more characters woven into the story, particularly if they are grey and hopefully interesting. I'm over 700 pages in and still have 500+ to go!
There is no end to the Stormlight suffering. Better to dream and drift away...

I'm nearly done with Deadhouse Landing and it's made me rather irritated. Mainly because very important Malazan events are rushed, glossed over and it generally feels like ICE has been forced into this by a mandatory word count and deadline or something.

Kalavan

I just finished The Black Shriving by Phil Tucker and now I'm starting The Siege of Abythos. If you haven't read The Chronicles of the Black Gate series I highly recommend it. It's very good.
I wholeheartedly agree with Khartun, although the first half of The Siege of Abythos was kind of a slog. In my opinion due to the brilliant but perhaps excessive finale of the second installment, several characters became too powerful too soon, and therefore there was a sort of reboot, splitting up our heroes and setting up a new challenge.

While this wasn’t entirely negative – for once, it gave room to some significant growth for basically every POVs – at times the book dragged a bit, it definitely lacked the rhythm of the first 2 installments.

But once all the pieces were in position the pace picked up again, the last 30% of the book was simply amazing and utterly engrossing, probably the best part of this series thus far, so I had to pick up immediately the 4th book of The Chronicles of the Black Gate, The Iron Circlet, which luckily seems to have hit the ground running

Matticus Primal

Wow. You guys have convinced me to try The Path of Flames. Price is right, I have Kindle Unlimited still, but they are low priced in any event.
If you're ever looking for other cheap/ high quality fantasy, much of which is on KU, you might want to check out the guild Phil's a part of (full disclosure, I'm a member). The free sampler book went live this week and everyone featured in it was at least a semifinalist in Mark Lawrence's Self Published Fantasy Blog Off, including the inaugural winner Michael McClung.

Cyphon

Just finished An Echo of Things to Come by James Islington.

Every once in awhile I run into some oddities while reading that I can't quite explain and it is happening with this series. There wasn't really a moment of this book I didn't enjoy reading and at the same time there were long gaps between me picking the book back up again. I don't know why it is but this book just doesn't offer that pull the best of my fantasy experiences have offered. You know the ones where you are so interested to see what is happening you kind of get antsy that you can't read faster and that there are so many pages between you and your answers? Which is odd because as I said, I enjoyed this book every time I decided to pick it back up. The POV's, the plot, the history....it is all there and yet something is still missing for me.

8.5/10

If anyone else has read this can someone please explain the ending to me? I don't know if it was because of the gaps in my reading or what but I couldn't quite make the pieces fit in a way that either wowed me or made me angry at what would be a dumb plot twist. Does it need further explanation from the author or was I just not paying enough attention to get it?

Maark Abbott

Finished Deadhouse Landing. It was way, way too rushed at the end. Way too short. Occasionally good but generally inconsistent. It would have benefited immensely from another 50-100k words.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Still listening to The Stand. Only 15 hours left and it feels like I'm nearing the end, despite there being 15 hours left which is longer than your average audiobook lol
Yeah, especially urban fantasy which I listen to a lot. For example most Dresden Files books are anywhere between 10-15 hours. I usually finish them in a day or two.

I bought The Stand too and The Talisman which he wrote with Peter Straub.
I remember seeing this video years ago on YT that was based on The Talisman. It hooked me instantly, and I always wanted to read this book from then on. The video was made as a piece for this guy's directing portfolio, so it's not a trailer or anything, but it's so well made.

kenubrion

If you're ever looking for other cheap/ high quality fantasy, much of which is on KU, you might want to check out the guild Phil's a part of (full disclosure, I'm a member). The free sampler book went live this week and everyone featured in it was at least a semifinalist in Mark Lawrence's Self Published Fantasy Blog Off, including the inaugural winner Michael McClung.
Hey thanks Matticus. I will do that.

Darth Tater

At exactly the half way mark in Children Of Earth And Sky (Guy Gavriel Kay). Typical book of his.Great balanced plot, tremendous writing and tealostic characters you cannot help but sympathize with and care about. The ending, like all of his books, will be bittersweet. I started preparing for it on page one becsuse I refuse to get emotional. But I just dont have a clue as to where it will come from. But I will NOT let it get to me!! No really...

Darth Tater

Yeah, especially urban fantasy which I listen to a lot. For example most Dresden Files books are anywhere between 10-15 hours. I usually finish them in a day or two.

I bought The Stand too and The Talisman which he wrote with Peter Straub.
I remember seeing this video years ago on YT that was based on The Talisman. It hooked me instantly, and I always wanted to read this book from then on. The video was made as a piece for this guy's directing portfolio, so it's not a trailer or anything, but it's so well made.

The Talisman. My wife and I had arunning joke: “Wolf. Here and now”. It was creepy and it was tied to The Dark Tower”.

http://darktower.wikia.com/wiki/The_Talisman

Alucard

Staff member
@Darth Tater
I will skip clicking on that link. Wouldn't want to spoil anything for myself, because I haven't finished DT yet ;).
Should I read The Talisman after I finish DT?

Hmm...the way I started 2018, I think Tom's challenge number
#44. 7 books by the same author
might come from Stephen King. I think I'm happy with that choice :)

Darth Tater

@Darth Tater
I will skip clicking on that link. Wouldn't want to spoil anything for myself, because I haven't finished DT yet ;).
Should I read The Talisman after I finish DT?

Hmm...the way I started 2018, I think Tom's challenge number
#44. 7 books by the same author
might come from Stephen King. I think I'm happy with that choice :)
It mostly relates to the extra book The Wind Through The Keyhole” which I won’t read until there is a deal as the book is short. A tad to book 5. It’s pretty much such and such concept or person is “probably” related to such and such concept or person. That’s why I didn’t use the spoiler tag. But better safe than sorry.

As far as reading the Talisman, I don’t think it adds much. There are a couple things vaguely related. But I thought it was “pretty good”. IIRC you’ve already read The Stand and It. A book that I thought (as did Jo Zebedee) that never reached the acclaim it should have was The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. But it all comes down to personal tastes like any other books.

I thought the short story collection in Skeleton Crew was the best short story collection I ever read. I thought most of the stories were actually really good and although I read it over 30 years ago ,even as I type this, I get chills.

Whatever you do please do NOT read Eyes Of The Dragon. Although a baddie is strongly related to The Stand and Dark Tower and a couple of characters make a two second appearance literally running through the latter do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Yes, everything is personal tastes but not this. This one is highly predictable, unimaginative, poorly written, and just plain stupid. I love dark adult fairy tales but this one SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!!! If you’ve done something really bad in your life, feel guilty and insist on punishing yourself out of guilt, then I highly recommend you read it. No, better off leaving it to karma.

ExTended

I've finished with Ascendant by Craig Alanson, narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds. I must admit that I've picked up this book mainly because of the narrator - the man can tell only decent sotires and make you think they are great.

As for the book itself - it's a decent coming-of-age story, more enjoyable than the likes of Raymond E. Feist's 25th book about Midkemia, so there's that. Nothing to write home about, but there's coming of age, some wizardy, some very, very mild romance, it's a feel good read kind of a book, proper for some palate-cleansing between more serious reads.

Story-wise it's probably 6.5-7 when it comes to the complexity of the thing, but the characterization is spot-on, the world-building doesn't really shine, but it doesn't get in the way of the story either, and well - Tim Gerard Reynolds. That's three words powerful enough to give any book a bonus of 1 or 2 full points towards awesomeness, so the audiobook is certainly a 8/10+ when it comes to its level of immersive-ness. :)

Alucard

Staff member
IIRC you’ve already read The Stand and It.
Haven't read The Stand, and still reading It. Tom is reading The Stand, maybe that confused you.

As far as reading the Talisman, I don’t think it adds much.
Not really interested in what it brings to DT series, as much as I am in a standalone story aspect of it. I would have probably read it even if it had nothing to do with DT and was written by Peter Straub alone. Having Stephen King there is just a plus anyway I look at it.