It's February 2018: What fantasy books are you reading?

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Haven't read The Stand, and still reading It. Tom is reading The Stand, maybe that confused you.

Not really interested in what it brings to DT series, as much as I am in a standalone story aspect of it. I would have probably read it even if it had nothing to do with DT and was written by Peter Straub alone. Having Stephen King there is just a plus anyway I look at it.
Gotcha! In that case, unless you have your own reason not to do so (saw the movie, more interested in Peter Straub, etc.) I strongly recommend you at least consider The Stand instead. ;)

Maark Abbott

Started on The Unholy Consult. Barely twenty pages in and it is most Ready indeed.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just finished Gardens of the Moon by Eriskson. It is way better than I remembered. Definitely deserves a 8.5/10 or something near that.

Now started on Deadhouse Gates.

Maark Abbott

Darth Tater

Completed Children Of Earth And Sky-Guy Gavriel Kay. My favorite fantasy author does it yet again. All of the characters were great but I thought the two very different females were the best. Everything comes together in the end. Do I lose my man card if I -hypothetically speaking- became watery eyed more than once? It’s a little early but I found a large basket of Easter eggs already. I caught several from The Sarantine Mosaic and some from The Lions Of Al-Rassan. Many of the locations, arts, etc. touched on highly emotional moments from those books.

GiovanniDeFeo

Has Danced with Dragons
I have been wanting to read GGK for a long time now. I had tried Tigana though, and I just could not get in for some reason.
From all accounts he really should be in my alley, but so far I could not get in. Any advice on that?

Darth Tater

I have been wanting to read GGK for a long time now. I had tried Tigana though, and I just could not get in for some reason.
From all accounts he really should be in my alley, but so far I could not get in. Any advice on that?
I’m in the minority, and although I liked Tigana, it was easily my least favorite (albeit memorable. No pun intended). I never really connected with any of the characters which was atypical. It was the heaviest on magic (other than Fionover). I’m not sure the others even had magic. Not knowing what you like most it is kind of difficult. GGK just may not be your cup of tea. While my personal favorite (all time fantasy ?) books were the Sarantine Mosaic duology I would say that if you still want to try Kay one more time go with The Lions Of Al-Rassan. It has a little of everything and is one of his alternate history books which are more realistic. If you don’t like that one, I suggest you punt.

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I started Assassin's Fate a couple nights ago. I'm about a couple hundred pages into it and I was thinking I should have finished Rain Wild Chronicles. I only read the first two books. This kind of reminds me of how I read Tawny Man Trilogy before Liveship Traders, but to a much lesser extent.

As far as The Witchwood Crown goes, I'd say if you are a Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn fan than it's a must read. Really if you are a fan of good epic fantasy it's a must read. I definitely enjoyed it more than any of his novels from Shadowmarch which I was not especially blown away by.

Last edited:

Maark Abbott

ReguIa

After getting stuck halfway through Royal Assassin and not reading anything for a whole month, I've now read the rest in just a few days. Only 2 more chapters to go.

It's been amazing so far, but I don't think I will continue with Assassin's Quest right away. I'm more in the mood for something that isn't as slow paced. Or maybe some scifi, I haven't decided.

Cyphon

Can someone help me out here? I was looking at my 'books' file of stuff I am interested in reading buying and have Cloudwar Saga listed buy can't seem to find anything by that name on Amazon or Google. What am I missing here?

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
You are probably after The Cloud Warrior Saga by D. K. Holmberg. I have no experience with this author, except having one of his I suppose other series somewhere in my TBR. It would make sense if you have just deleted part of your entry by mistake or something.

EDIT: As to not be completely off-topic - I've finished the 3rd book in Sebastien De Castell's Greatcoats series. So far the series is immensely consistent. And when I say consistent, I mean consistently awesome. Not flawless, mind you, but utterly, thoroughly awesome and satisfying in all possible ways.

It's one of those series that makes you marvel at the scope of story-telling prowess the fantasy genre could have in the hands of the right person, author, whatever. The brazenness, the banter, the bromance and the self-mocking narrator are out of this world in this series. Story-telling with all capital letters.

It's what The First Law trilogy would have been, if it was meant to be funny and sprinkled with swashbuckling.

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
It's what The First Law trilogy would have been, if it was meant to be funny
But First Law is funny. It's just different kind of funny - dark humour.
I can't count how many times I laughed while I listened to it.

On my end I finished It & The Girl in the Tower. It was really great, maybe a bit too long but I generally enjoyed it a lot.
The Girl in the Tower is just as good as the 1st book in the series. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of Winternight Trilogy in august.

Right now I decided to read Heroes Die. This has been standing on my shelf for a looooong time, and it's supposed to be a great book, so lets go.
Question for all who have read all 4 books in the series, is the series overall great? Or is it the case of a great 1st book with subsequent mediocre sequels?

Jakyro

Right now I decided to read Heroes Die. This has been standing on my shelf for a looooong time, and it's supposed to be a great book, so lets go.
Question for all who have read all 4 books in the series, is the series overall great? Or is it the case of a great 1st book with subsequent mediocre sequels?
Most people say that the first is the best and I tend to agree with it. Personally I did enjoy the second one a lot and thought the third one was superb. The fourth was still good but the weakest in the series

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I started Assassin's Fate a couple nights ago. I'm about a couple hundred pages into it and I was thinking I should have finished Rain Wild Chronicles. I only read the first two books. This kind of reminds me of how I read Tawny Man Trilogy before Liveship Traders, but to a much lesser extent.
This sounds like the way I read these books, only I read Tawny Man before the original 3 Fitz books as well as before Liveship Traders. I also stopped Rain Wilds after two books (really, I thought they found what they were looking for, what else is there to see? -- took me awhile to realize there were more books after that). I am not planning to read the new series. I thought Tawny Man had an appropriate ending and anything after would be like beating a dead horse.