It's February 2018: What fantasy books are you reading?

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
This sounds like the way I read these books, only I read Tawny Man before the original 3 Fitz books as well as before Liveship Traders. I also stopped Rain Wilds after two books (really, I thought they found what they were looking for, what else is there to see? -- took me awhile to realize there were more books after that). I am not planning to read the new series. I thought Tawny Man had an appropriate ending and anything after would be like beating a dead horse.
Fitz novels are usually so personal with the first person POV that you could get away without reading Liveship with Tawny Man, but In this 3rd chapter of the latest trilogy you are expected to be caught up with the events in Rain Wild Chronicles. If you ever do it read it I'd recommend that you finish that first before you start this. I frankly never finished it because I just didn't think it was that great. I thought the first two books were easily the weakest of any of the novels in the Farseer world. They weren't bad, but they were pretty ho-hum. At the time, of course, I didn't know she was going to write another Fitz trilogy after, though. I never thought it would matter when or if I finished RWC.

Last edited:

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
Just finished up Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

I haven't had this much fun reading a book in a long time. Not that I haven't read some good ones but this one was a blast. It is one of the only books that managed to incite a similar sense of adventure to the Harry Potter series. There are some minor nitpicks I have but nothing major worth mentioning and 1 sort of big nitpick. To get max enjoyment out of this book you would have to be an 80's person and I grew up in the 90's so a lot of it didn't really hit home for me. If it had included Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and things of that nature I would have been through the roof on this book. As it is it is still very enjoyable and I wouldn't mind exploring more books like this.

9.5/10

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Read The first book in the Nevernight Chronilces. and I fucking loved it. One of the the best books that I've ever read. Can't recommend it enough. Especialy if you wanna see a badass female assassin.

but more importantly, as I made a topic about it, I'm also reading Lightbringer 1: The Black Prism. got about 25% left. so excited to finish it.

Jakyro

I haven't had this much fun reading a book in a long time. Not that I haven't read some good ones but this one was a blast. It is one of the only books that managed to incite a similar sense of adventure to the Harry Potter series. There are some minor nitpicks I have but nothing major worth mentioning and 1 sort of big nitpick. To get max enjoyment out of this book you would have to be an 80's person and I grew up in the 90's so a lot of it didn't really hit home for me. If it had included Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and things of that nature I would have been through the roof on this book. As it is it is still very enjoyable and I wouldn't mind exploring more books like this.

9.5/10
I bought it just now before I checked on the forum. It will be my next read after I finish Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne. Good the read once more that it’s so good

ExTended

9.5/10
I've liked it very much too, although I am not an 80s person and the references to that time felt kind of dull to me for the most part. My main gripe with this book is the fact that whether due to my non-80s childhood or because of poor execution from the author's part, each and every plot-twist and riddle( answer of a riddle) felt kind of too convenient to me. As if this was a book without any real rules or chance of me predicting what would happen next, not successfully enough or often enough, that is. I get how this could be an issue of me not being at all into 80s stuff, but then again - I lack the expertise to really tell if that is the case. So - a very unpredictable book, and not always in the pleasant way.

Other than that I'd too give it 9.5/10 or even higher. It's very enjoyable despite it not being a perfect fit for non-80s people like me.

MorteTorment

*sighs*

God I hate how insanely inactive this place it. For a while I thought that people didn't wan to talk to me anymore, which is to be fair was a LOT more depressing. Still, this is where all my main fantasy buddies are, and I don't know where anyone is anymore. God this sucks!

Anyways, finished The Black Prism. It was great. 5 stars all the way, but I didn't feel good about the ending because after kip killed...someone important, I felt like that that was sort of the pay off points so to speak for the book, and it should have started to wind down. As a result, I kinda glazed over in the last 50 or so pages before it actually did wind down. But yeah, I'm trying to get over myself, and I'm not gonna hold the book against it. I just kinda wish that I could go on twitter right now and tell Brent Weeks happy my favorite author made me feel, because right now though, because I don't feel jazzed at all about it. Although granted a big part of it is because I'm really depressed right now in general.

Cyphon

I've liked it very much too, although I am not an 80s person and the references to that time felt kind of dull to me for the most part. My main gripe with this book is the fact that whether due to my non-80s childhood or because of poor execution from the author's part, each and every plot-twist and riddle( answer of a riddle) felt kind of too convenient to me. As if this was a book without any real rules or chance of me predicting what would happen next, not successfully enough or often enough, that is. I get how this could be an issue of me not being at all into 80s stuff, but then again - I lack the expertise to really tell if that is the case. So - a very unpredictable book, and not always in the pleasant way.

Other than that I'd too give it 9.5/10 or even higher. It's very enjoyable despite it not being a perfect fit for non-80s people like me.
Yeah that was one of my minor gripes I didn't list. The "ah ha!" moments were.....okay for me because the references just didn't hit. Of course as obscure as some of that stuff I doubt even 80's people would be able to follow what little hints you get from the riddles. It would be awesome to have had references I could actually follow along with and try to guess at the riddles.

It is times like these I wish I was a writer and could kind of steal this idea and adapt it for things I know lol.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Oathbringer...might take me into March to finish it tho LOL

kenubrion

Heroes Die is confusing as fuck. Can't make heads or tails of who is who or what is happening.
Are you reading or listening? I don't recall that problem from reading it.

ReguIa

@MorteTorment

I read Black Prism almost exactly 1 year ago. I thought it was solid. Really interesting world and characters, but I felt it was a little too fast paced.

Just 1 book wasn't enough to flesh out the world completely, especially the magic. Because of this I thought it was lacking and too ''unfinished''.

The sequels though are AMAZING. The 4th book is a step down but it probably just happened because it's setting up the final book.

GreyMouser

9.5/10
So glad to see other members here appreciating this book! I heard/read about Ready Player One and Red Rising here for the first time although I can't remember who recommended them.

I'm an 80s person and could relate to almost all of the references. My sons, both teens, always found the 80s to be funny and interesting so they actually did get a lot of the 80s stuff too.

Loved the book and hope the movie does it justice.

Ryan W. Mueller

Can someone help me out here? I was looking at my 'books' file of stuff I am interested in reading buying and have Cloudwar Saga listed buy can't seem to find anything by that name on Amazon or Google. What am I missing here?
Cloud Warrior Saga by D.K. Holmberg. It's simple but fun fantasy with more of a young adult feel to it. I've enjoyed it for what it is, but if you're looking for something more mature, complex, and on the Grimdark side, it probably won't be the series for you.

MorteTorment

Heroes Die is confusing as fuck. Can't make heads or tails of who is who or what is happening.
Hey there Alucard, how's it going? :D

Really? I wasn't confused. I understood it perfectly, which is why when I described it in detail a much smarter person than me with a much better memory told me that I literally got every detail wrong! :p

I read Black Prism almost exactly 1 year ago. I thought it was solid. Really interesting world and characters, but I felt it was a little too fast paced.

Just 1 book wasn't enough to flesh out the world completely, especially the magic. Because of this I thought it was lacking and too ''unfinished''.
Really? I thought that the best parts of the book were the fast paced parts. But then again I could probably say that I feel this way about a lot of books. :p

Ironically my favorite parts of a good comic book are usually the more subtle, tender moments.

And yeah, I know that I'm in the minority here, but I don't really get the magic system, but I've accepted that fact about myself, and i'm ok with it. It still nails it where I want it to hit the most. And by that I mean that the spells are really fucking cool! :D

We haven't been able to accept new members for quite some time now which is slowing things up a bit. @btkong is working on it tho so hopefully should be sorted out soon. Don't take it personally, most of us dip in and out, sometimes weeks/months at a time, just like you :)
Tom! How's it going buddy?

And really? that sucks? how long has it been this way? more importantly, why did we stop new members from joining?

and yeah, I know, I come and go too, as I'm focused on several hobbies.

BTW, would mean a lot to me if you checked out the topic that I made.

Darth Tater

@MorteTorment

The sequels though are AMAZING. The 4th book is a step down but it probably just happened because it's setting up the final book.
Totally agree with all of this!

Maark Abbott

I have to say, the opening of The Unholy Consult has been quite confused, quite messy. But we're in the POV of characters driven insane by Nonman depravities. So it fits.