It's February 2018: What fantasy books are you reading?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
just finished Good Omens~ Terry Pratchett/NEIL GAIMEN

pretty damn good, I'm willing to suggest that they might be better as a team than solo. whatever, very few, faults one has is made up for by the other, who has it as a strength.

the jokes are very referential, with several contemporary books referred, plus Milton, the discworld, nitschze, a few gaimen books, all the pop culture anti christ cliches (added for joke, not laziness)

the best parts no spoilers.
the running gag that all tapes/cds eventually all turn into Queen greatest hits.
(sidenote, my autocorrect can'
understand the word "Cds " and kept correcting it to "ads", then DVDs ,than "Audio dvds". i feel old now)

the world's first occultist, Crowley, serves as a main character.

worst bits. when pratchett really likes a joke he repeats it, not just in the book you're reading of a few others published around the same time. no exception here.

8.5/10

Cyphon

Finished up Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague. Mostly par for the course with the series. Not much to say about it really other than that it is a solid series in the young adult genre. There is nothing done well enough to merit specific mention but it is an interesting enough story to follow.

7/10

Will start listening to the fourth soon and have also started reading Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames.

Bierschneeman

just finished Reaper Man ~ Terry pratchett

This was a bit of a disappointment. the main story is most death takes a holiday (again, sigh) of a sorts, and Death is rather boring the whole way through. he keeps saying things as if there is a forced stoicism inherent in his new persona, but it comes off as dull and lackwit. he does, and the story does, get a lot better when we approach the climax.

there are some new and interesting characters met, that will reappear in later books, from the B story. but mostly the B story was even worse. there is the whole zombie bit ( not a SPOILER since it appears in first chapter) but mostly you are watching the wizards "yoyoing " about chasing ideas that, despite being ridiculous, have nothing to do with the story. Add in the awful 100 year old cliche jokes on shopping carts (or trolleys, Buggys , poke wagons, grocery carts carriages, trundlers, coohundlers. whatever your dialectal region calls them)
rounded off in the whole B story being a big alien invasion by . sigh. shopping malls.

there was a running gag from the movie Chinatown

the star character, " the death of rats" despite having a very small role his presence was enough to add an entire star to my review rating.

6/10

Last edited:

ExTended

I've finished with The Greatcoats series.

Awesomeness on top of awesomeness on top of more awesomeness. Four very strong books, not perfect in quality, but man - the things those books do right, they do them in style. Banter, bromance, braze-ness, self-aware narrator, a touch of unreliable narrator, swashbuckling, over-the-top daring plans, escapes, traps, moves and countermoves. Lots of dueling metaphors and references. Great world-building, although it, as everything else, is just at the border of awesome and over-the-top.

It's basically Royce and Hadrian meets Kings of the Wyld meets The Three Musketeers.

It's an instant addition to my "All Time Top 10 Fantasy Series" list. Certainly - it also deserves a place in the top 10 most underrated series as well.

A new band-wagon has started - all stragglers feel free to join up! :p

Other than that - I've started with Backwing by Ed McDonald. So far I get a mixture of Low Town + The Broken Empire trilogy vibe from it, with a little bit of Joe Abercrombie humor to boot. But I am still too early into the book, so I won't be making any guesses of whether or not it would continue to be as interesting.

I've also started with Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. It's pleasantly grimdark-ish so far, a bit on the YA side, but not in some annoying way or something. My only complaint is the constant leans on sexual innuendos for the wow factor, but they are mixed with similarly frequent non-sexual black humor remarks, so I guess I'd let it slide. It's not that I mind them or anything, but it kind of makes me feel like a teenager hiding an erotica magazine and that's not something you should be thinking about while reading a regular fantasy book. But eh - it's fine. The world-building and characterization so far have been top-notch. The tone is also kind of sharp-ish, properly sharp-ish that is, which instatly distinguishes this YA from many others, by being written by a competent non-purple-prose-loving author, that is. :)

Bierschneeman

I've finished with The Greatcoats series.

Awesomeness on top of awesomeness on top of more awesomeness. Four very strong books, not perfect in quality, but man - the things those books do right, they do them in style. Banter, bromance, braze-ness, self-aware narrator, a touch of unreliable narrator, swashbuckling, over-the-top daring plans, escapes, traps, moves and countermoves. Lots of dueling metaphors and references. Great world-building, although it, as everything else, is just at the border of awesome and over-the-top.

It's basically Royce and Hadrian meets Kings of the Wyld meets The Three Musketeers.

It's an instant addition to my "All Time Top 10 Fantasy Series" list. Certainly - it also deserves a place in the top 10 most underrated series as well.

A new band-wagon has started - all stragglers feel free to join up! :p

Other than that - I've started with Backwing by Ed McDonald. So far I get a mixture of Low Town + The Broken Empire trilogy vibe from it, with a little bit of Joe Abercrombie humor to boot. But I am still too early into the book, so I won't be making any guesses of whether or not it would continue to be as interesting.

I've also started with Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. It's pleasantly grimdark-ish so far, a bit on the YA side, but not in some annoying way or something. My only complaint is the constant leans on sexual innuendos for the wow factor, but they are mixed with similarly frequent non-sexual black humor remarks, so I guess I'd let it slide. It's not that I mind them or anything, but it kind of makes me feel like a teenager hiding an erotica magazine and that's not something you should be thinking about while reading a regular fantasy book. But eh - it's fine. The world-building and characterization so far have been top-notch. The tone is also kind of sharp-ish, properly sharp-ish that is, which instatly distinguishes this YA from many others, by being written by a competent non-purple-prose-loving author, that is. :)
This sounds like the "knights bro" subgenre I have only heard of here. is it?

ExTended

This sounds like the "knights bro" subgenre I have only heard of here. is it?
Could be. :) The only thing is The Greatcoats hate knights with passion, but knights are d***s in this one, so it's understandable. But I guess they'll cover the spirit of the sub-genre, if I have the right kind of idea what the sub-genre is supposed to be about.

kenubrion

I had planned to read Steel, blood, and Fire but I changed my mind It just isn’t the type of fantasy that is up my alley. Again, no reflection whatsoever on the author or book.
Really? You feel that way about Joe Abercrombie's books too? This is what got me the last time, you saying this about a book you have not read. Otherwise you're a sane person. What's up with this?

Cyphon

Really? You feel that way about Joe Abercrombie's books too? This is what got me the last time, you saying this about a book you have not read. Otherwise you're a sane person. What's up with this?
I still don't understand your beef with this type of reasoning. I frequently use "is similar too" as a basis for if I even go read a synopsis on something. I am not a fan at all of Abercrombies work so when I see any comparison to him I am immediately skeptical about any possibility of liking whatever book it is.

And that type of reasoning has worked for me many times. I have gone against my better judgement too many times when 'red flags' pop up and been burned.

Darth Tater

I don’t read romances, Do it yourself fix it books, or books on geology either. I love reading. It’s a personal taste thing and by your making it personal by questioning my sanity for not liking what you like says much more about YOU than it does me.

Really, kenubrion. We’ve been getting along just fine. Drop it.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm reading Wolf In The Attic by Paul Kearney. 75% in and it's nice. Nice story with a nice MC and nice plot. Probably won't stick with me for a long time but I'm enjoying it well enough. It's nicely written.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, and I'm rereading (listening to) Best Served Cold by the greatest author in the world, Lord Grimdark. It's ace!!

Andrew.J

Oh, and I'm rereading (listening to) Best Served Cold by the greatest author in the world, Lord Grimdark. It's ace!!
I'm also listening to Abercrombie. Red Country, only I'm reading it for the first time. I'm halfway through, but it's not that great, IMO. I haven't had much success with audiobooks recently, though, so it could be an issue with the format and not the book itself. I may have to switch to ebook for this one. How'd you find the Red Country?

I'm also listening to The City and the City by China Mieville. I'm about 20% and so far its pretty decent, nothing spectacular, however. It's more of a detective story than fantasy.

There're also unfinished Witcher (Time of Contempt) and Long Price Quartet (An Autumn War) books on my Kindle. I'm not sure when\if I'll get back to them.

Bierschneeman

just finished Soul Music~ Terrypratchett

here's the good old stuff (to paraphrase Death)

Death is missing... yet again, again . but this time he is acting like he's supposed to. I love the Klachian bits particularly. even the wizard bits were better than they have been.

but death of rats and Susan both stole the show.

the main bulk of this book is all music puns, endlessly coming up with hilarious versions of real world bands, concepts, phrases, songs etc. like "the whom" or "anarchy in ankh morprok"

8/10

Darth Tater

I'm reading Wolf In The Attic by Paul Kearney. 75% in and it's nice. Nice story with a nice MC and nice plot. Probably won't stick with me for a long time but I'm enjoying it well enough. It's nicely written.
Just a few months agoI really enjoyed his Monarchies Of God series. Until the very end. To me the ending was stupid and spoiled my good memories. I hope yours is better.

kenubrion

I don’t read romances, Do it yourself fix it books, or books on geology either. I love reading. It’s a personal taste thing and by your making it personal by questioning my sanity for not liking what you like says much more about YOU than it does me.

Really, kenubrion. We’ve been getting along just fine. Drop it.
Romances? Fix it books? Geology? And now epic grimdark fantasy, a category you liked up to a few minutes ago.