It's February 2018: What fantasy books are you reading?

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
just finished Pyramids~ Terry pratchett

This is a first time read, mostly because I seem to remember lots of negative reviews. but I loved it, it's the best discworld book I've read (during this marathon)
we get a rather in depth but quick insight into the assassin's guild (our first look really, unless it was in guards) we get a massive pile on the nature of religion, gods, and a whole new kingdom not explored before

This parodies a great many things, but not as wholly as before, these are more brief jokes like a Aladdin reference for 40 pages STOP. or a whole bit on Oedipus STOP. let's briefly and quickly pull from Homer, then use Homer much later to extensively mock the entirety of his work.

I kind of wish not to see these characters but maybe as brief cameos later. they are great as they are, but not every character needs to reoccur as protagonists.

9/10

GreyMouser

I started The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko a few days ago and it is really good so far.

Dark vampire fantasy with a lot of new complex ideas. Looks like it's going to be a fun ride.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Finished The Hanging Tree by Aaronovitch. I forgot how quickly things wrap up in the end. The last 50 pages fly by. What I really like so far is that each book Grant doesn’t really ‘level up’ like Dresden did. I can’t see him becoming over powered and Aaronovitch needing bigger badder monsters to come and fight. I really like this series, it’s funny and interesting and easy to read. It feels authentic, like Aaronovitch is just over there doing his thing and not bothered by what else is happening in fantasy.

I’ve started Oathbringer. I’m a third of the way in and I’m really struggling. Shallan is boring me and annoying me ... double whammy of crap. Lots and lots of talking about how little they know and it’s getting to me. Epic fantasy wasn’t always my fav, I’m remembering why. I’m hoping if I push through the end will be amazing and I’ll forget the struggle at the start. Fingers crossed.

kenubrion

This is pointless.You Captain your ship and I’ll Captain mine.
So you were a member of Amazon's fantasy forum. Who were you there as no darth tater ever joined.

And really, grimdark fantasy was your thing until Blood Steel & Fire came along and you trashed it without reading it.

Last edited:

Bierschneeman

just finished eRic ~Terry Pratchett

Better than expected, but not quite as good as it should be.

a big parody on the AMAZING Faust story. but each part deals with a different individual parody, like part two being a clear Illiad parody.

I like it better than I should.

7/10

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Oh man, Duiker, Coltaine...what an epic story. I really need to do a reread soon.
Haha, I know right! I'm at the final stretch now (Kalam on a rampage). The Chain of Dogs storyline has just reached its finale and it was again heart-breaking.

EDIT: typo in "heart-braking".

Last edited:

Darth Tater

So you were a member of Amazon's fantasy forum. Who were you there as no darth tater ever joined.

And really, grimdark fantasy was your thing until Blood Steel & Fire came along and you trashed it without reading it.
@kenubrion

Chill. I never trashed the book and certainly not Alan. Not liking certain kinds of books isn’t trashing a specific book. I usually don’t like Fantasy books that are written mainly to be funny. I really like some of Gaiman’s writing but found Good Omens “cute” but didn’t really enjoy it. You take things personally that don’t concern you and misinterpret them and/or intentionally try to create drama. I pointed out quite clearly that his book was not the TYPE I enjoy and said that is no reflection on Alan, Martin, etc. I like and respect Alan and always wish the best for him. If he doesn’t have a problem with it why do you? It’s like you’re a watchdog or girlie cheerleader for Alan and Matthias (IMO, Matthias unlike Alan is a criminal psycho asshole and his writing is juvenile). For Chrissake. I hated Frankenstein and said why. If you disagree do it in a civilized manner. Debate makes for fun discussion. Personal attacks dirty a forum.

HOWEVER, I may have the wrong interpretation in my head about what is “gritty”. I’m talking about graphic rape scenes, killing all the characters off, torturing in detail (i do like it when baddies suffer and die horribly though), and things like that. I did love The Traitor Son Cycle and am really enjoying The Shadow Campaigns. Are those “gritty”? That’s about as (gritty?) as I like. I consider them semi-gritty. If you saw inconsistency or perceived hypocrisy you could have politely asked for clarification. If my definition is wrong I would have appreciated and would still appreciate the feedback.

Just for the record IF I DID read somebody’s book, and that person was a forum member, I would NEVER EVER say a bad word about their book or writing. That would be vicious. I would simply pretend I never read it. I’ve said as much before.

Any more PERSONAL attacks and I won’t even give you a response. Always feel free to disagree.

Darth Tater

Completed book 4/5,of The Shadow Campaigns. Put Brandon Sabdersons name on it and it would go from relatively unknown to a bunch of lackey’s singing its praises. Wexler’s characters are very interesting to me. I like books where everything is terrible the entire book until the last 100 pages and then the sun comes out. He isn’t overly descriptive but isn’t always clear to me when he describes landscapes, buildings, etc. Good magic system with variations. My only criticism is too much Deus ex machina even though be does kill a person now and then.

Really good stuff!

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just finished Deadhouse Gates. Awesome, awesome, awesome! There's really nothing like Malazan Book of the Fallen. The world-building, history, characters and Erikson's prose are all just top notch. The only negative thing I can think of is that this franchise somewhat spoiled me. I really think there is nothing that is comparable to this series.

On to Memories of Ice!

Khartun

I just finished Deadhouse Gates. Awesome, awesome, awesome! There's really nothing like Malazan Book of the Fallen. The world-building, history, characters and Erikson's prose are all just top notch. The only negative thing I can think of is that this franchise somewhat spoiled me. I really think there is nothing that is comparable to this series.

On to Memories of Ice!
I remember when I was reading it I thought I'd take a break in between and read something else. It really suffered by comparison and it was probably a good book but I just didn't like it.

kenubrion

Bullying is not allowed on this forum
Completed book 4/5,of The Shadow Campaigns. Put Brandon Sabdersons name on it and it would go from relatively unknown to a bunch of lackey’s singing its praises. Wexler’s characters are very interesting to me. I like books where everything is terrible the entire book until the last 100 pages and then the sun comes out. He isn’t overly descriptive but isn’t always clear to me when he describes landscapes, buildings, etc. Good magic system with variations. My only criticism is too much Deus ex machina even though be does kill a person now and then.

Really good stuff!
You're my favorite poster. Always informative, always very funny.

Darth Tater

I meant to say I do NOT like books where everything is bad until the last 100 pages. Wexler holds a nice balance throughout. So it isn’t always stressful and depressing. It isn’t like a big sting operation, yet at the end a whole lot of stuff still comes to a head. I also liked this book because even though it was 4 of 5 a lot of things happened and some stuff was resolved. It wasn’t just a big setup for the final book.

I really don’t understand why he isn’t more popular but then again there are a lot of very talented writers out there who are even less unknown. Or i think it may be more unknown? Less known? Well, my syntax leaves much to be desired, but you know what I mean. o_O Maybe if he puts a flock of some murderous poultry in his next series sales will soar? No, that’s been done. Maybe a serial killer squirrel?

Travis

Might as well be a Malazan regular
Well, I’ll be damned. I was thinking The Expanse was written by James Corey so I looked it up. Maybe I forgot but I don’t think I knew that Corey was a made up pen name for two writers. :bag: I read the first book of the series. I liked it enough to check what happened to two characters but not enough to continue forward. I think I just lost my taste for science fiction, so it was likely no reflection on the series itself. IIRC, I liked the characters too.That isn’t the case with me for most science fiction.
Yup, pen name for those two. I'm actually a HUGE Daniel Abraham fan so I point him out to others as much as I can. I get what you mean. I'm not usually a huge Sci-fi guy when it comes to books, but I really like this series. As you seem to have figured out, Abraham's greatest strength is his characters in my opinion. They're almost always complicated and realistic INDIVIDUALS.

Travis

You've been away for 19 months :eek: Welcome back, glad to see another Expanse fan on the boards. Persepolis Rising is awesome!
Oooooh boy. I really did fall off the face of the Earth. Well I'm back. I missed this place quite a bit. Glad to hear that Persepolis Rising is awesome! Currently on Babylon's Ashes and it's not the best follow up so far, but it's not bad. It isn't really fair considering that Nemesis Games was my favorite book in the series.

Travis

I've finished with The Greatcoats series.

Awesomeness on top of awesomeness on top of more awesomeness. Four very strong books, not perfect in quality, but man - the things those books do right, they do them in style. Banter, bromance, braze-ness, self-aware narrator, a touch of unreliable narrator, swashbuckling, over-the-top daring plans, escapes, traps, moves and countermoves. Lots of dueling metaphors and references. Great world-building, although it, as everything else, is just at the border of awesome and over-the-top.

It's basically Royce and Hadrian meets Kings of the Wyld meets The Three Musketeers.

It's an instant addition to my "All Time Top 10 Fantasy Series" list. Certainly - it also deserves a place in the top 10 most underrated series as well.
This has been on my list for awhile. I actually have the first 3 books in the series. One of those series of books where I KNOW I will love them but I just haven't made time yet. Glad to hear yet another person giving it praise. Pushing it up my list some more :)

Travis

@Regula That definitely seems to be the case, it's nice knowing it will pick up again. Part of it, for me I think, is just getting used to going from a small handful of POVs to something like a dozen(?) in this book. I like books with lots of POVs just fine (love me some ASOIAF) but such a huge change in style/perspective in the middle of a series is a bit jarring. That said, I've really appreciated how unique each book in this series has been presented and all the different styles that the authors have employed from book to book. Even if some hit better than others.

Darth Tater

Yup, pen name for those two. I'm actually a HUGE Daniel Abraham fan so I point him out to others as much as I can. I get what you mean. I'm not usually a huge Sci-fi guy when it comes to books, but I really like this series. As you seem to have figured out, Abraham's greatest strength is his characters in my opinion. They're almost always complicated and realistic INDIVIDUALS.
I’ve only read Abrahams Dagger And Coin series. It started out so slow in the first book that I was divided whether to continue. But I did and it got really good. Very unique and imaginative. As far as characters, Geder is someone I will never forget! Many others will never be forgotten as well.