It's February 2018: What fantasy books are you reading?

Travis

Warded demons with Arlen
I’ve only read Abrahams Dagger And Coin series. It started out so slow in the first book that I was divided whether to continue. But I did and it got really good. Very unique and imaginative. As far as characters, Geder is someone I will never forget! Many others will never be forgotten as well.
Loved that series a lot. I've noticed a lot of people found the first book to be really slow but for some reason I didn't. It certainly got faster and better as the series went on but I enjoyed the first book pretty well still. Different tastes I guess :D Yes, Geder is definitely one of the more interesting characters in fiction (let alone sff) I've read. I enjoyed Cithrin quite a bit too. I liked that she was a radically different take on a "strong female character" whilst still having believable flaws that didn't necessarily detract from her character. and Geder.....well so much can be said for him, but without putting any spoilers in this post, I'll just say that I really enjoyed how his character changed over the course of the books - he was a truly "fresh take" on that kind of character in my opinion.

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Geder was a monster but he also evoked pity. Have you or do you plan to read Oathbringer? There is an interesting compare and contrast element there to a certain something if someone has read both. They will know it when they come to it regardless of which is read first.

Geder torching the city vs. Dalinar’s similar actions. Very different characters and motivations in doing so. Interesting to think about. Which action was worse? I can’t decide given their agendas, upbringing, and motives

Darth Tater

You're my favorite poster. Always informative, always very funny.
Well, you are the most objective person on the forum so it’s never any use contradicting you. That never gets anyone anywhere. So I’ll accept what you said at face value.

My jokes are obviously not meant to be lol funny. But, IMO, it gets quiet in here and very serious at times so I try to get a grin or eye roller. This is a book forum but not a library so when Silvion hosts his game or Tom puts out a challenge, or Alan tries to get us to eat scalding chips, it adds flavor (no pun intended), personality, and fun. The great discussions are the main course but nothing wrong with a good dessert afterward. Speaking of that, IIRC, when Silvion last ran that game people were popping out of the woodwork. Over 30 (?) votes on some. Whether they stuck around is another matter?

ExTended

Geder was a monster but he also evoked pity. Have you or do you plan to read Oathbringer? There is an interesting compare and contrast element there to a certain something if someone has read both. They will know it when they come to it regardless of which is read first.

Geder torching the city vs. Dalinar’s similar actions. Very different characters and motivations in doing so. Interesting to think about. Which action was worse? I can’t decide given their agendas, upbringing, and motives
Let me answer, as someone who has those two series firmly in his top 15, if not top 10. :p

Please don't open up this spoiler unless you've already been through all of the Dagger and the Coin/Stormlight Archive books.

In my opinion Dalinar's actions were somewhat forgivable on behalf of him not really being himself at the time of the order. If I remember correctly, he and the others were suffering from the red rage( or whatever that giant red spren was called), which actually turns everyone into blood-trusty beserkers. While, in contrast, Geder have torched Viny/Vanay( or whatever the city is called, audiobook listener here) in cold blood, being fully conscious about the consequences of his actions, even if a little bit naive of their actual weight at the time when he gave the order.

Burning a city is usually a last resort measure in real-life and I don't think that Dalinar have done it from any calculating machinations, unlike Geder, who knew perfectly well what he was doing and the reasoning behind it as well.

To be honest burning cities as a show of power and relentlessness is a stupid way of handling things anyway. If you burn too much, you'd usually give yourself more troubles than the reason for the burning was in the first place. For instance, my country wasn't free 200 years ago, and the main reason for us being able to finally free ourselves was that our conquerors got so fed up with our constant rebellions, that they've completely burned down a few of our provinces to the ground, and Europe's mighty had to cave in before the pressure of the European society, taking action by stopping their constant blocking of the foreign powers who've wanted to swoop in and help us to start a real war about our freedom. So that's one reason people are rarely solving problems with burnings. The other one, probably the more important one, is that when you burn the towns in question, you have no one to trade in with later on, or to conquer and extract taxes from. You are as strong( economically/military) as your neighbors are.

Darth Tater

Let me answer, as someone who has those two series firmly in his top 15, if not top 10. :p

Please don't open up this spoiler unless you've already been through all of the Dagger and the Coin/Stormlight Archive books.

In my opinion Dalinar's actions were somewhat forgivable on behalf of him not really being himself at the time of the order. If I remember correctly, he and the others were suffering from the red rage( or whatever that giant red spren was called), which actually turns everyone into blood-trusty beserkers. While, in contrast, Geder have torched Viny/Vanay( or whatever the city is called, audiobook listener here) in cold blood, being fully conscious about the consequences of his actions, even if a little bit naive of their actual weight at the time when he gave the order.

Burning a city is usually a last resort measure in real-life and I don't think that Dalinar have done it from any calculating machinations, unlike Geder, who knew perfectly well what he was doing and the reasoning behind it as well.

To be honest burning cities as a show of power and relentlessness is a stupid way of handling things anyway. If you burn too much, you'd usually give yourself more troubles than the reason for the burning was in the first place. For instance, my country wasn't free 200 years ago, and the main reason for us being able to finally free ourselves was that our conquerors got so fed up with our constant rebellions, that they've completely burned down a few of our provinces to the ground, and Europe's mighty had to cave in before the pressure of the European society, taking action by stopping their constant blocking of the foreign powers who've wanted to swoop in and help us to start a real war about our freedom. So that's one reason people are rarely solving problems with burnings. The other one, probably the more important one, is that when you burn the towns in question, you have no one to trade in with later on, or to conquer and extract taxes from. You are as strong( economically/military) as your neighbors are.
I agree with you on the one but was leaning the other way on the comparison one. HOWEVER, you do bring up an excellent point which I forgot about so that would be dispositive if that were the case with the caveat in the spoiler. If so, I would go with you on that too.

That was interesting what you said about your country. Which country would that be?

I forgot about the red spren. IF it took away ALL of Dalinars free will then he’s blameless. As much as I love Dalinar it just seemed like he was a normal person and sans the red spren it would be unforgivable to me. Otherwise he would see the consequences of his actions in advance. Geder was socially retarded and he actually thought he was doing the right thing. Although,he did have some guilt feelings so he had some sense of the wrongness. Unforgivable but did he have the capacity to think things through? He was a monster but any more to blame than the Frankenstein monster? He was set loose on the world by Coras husband (Wester?)I totally agree that burning is an idiotic tactic.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Well, you are the most objective person on the forum so it’s never any use contradicting you. That never gets anyone anywhere. So I’ll accept what you said at face value.

My jokes are obviously not meant to be lol funny. But, IMO, it gets quiet in here and very serious at times so I try to get a grin or eye roller. This is a book forum but not a library so when Silvion hosts his game or Tom puts out a challenge, or Alan tries to get us to eat scalding chips, it adds flavor (no pun intended), personality, and fun. The great discussions are the main course but nothing wrong with a good dessert afterward. Speaking of that, IIRC, when Silvion last ran that game people were popping out of the woodwork. Over 30 (?) votes on some. Whether they stuck around is another matter?
I didn't host a competition last year, but I'll definitely do it this year. We just need to sort out the irritating problem we're currently facing where new members can't register...

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't host a competition last year, but I'll definitely do it this year. We just need to sort out the irritating problem we're currently facing where new members can't register...
If we keep tagging @btkong in these things hopefully he'll eventually get annoyed enough to take corrective action :) (or just delete the forum, depending what mood he's in)

rudyjuly2

After finishing the WOT last year I am reading the prequel Jordan wrote near the end. Very descriptive and slow moving but it's nice to get back into that world. Plus we get a story involving Lan and Morraine before they were established with the story starting before they even met. Looking forward to finishing it. Almost 100 pages in of the over 400 page prequel.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
After finishing the WOT last year I am reading the prequel Jordan wrote near the end. Very descriptive and slow moving but it's nice to get back into that world. Plus we get a story involving Lan and Morraine before they were established with the story starting before they even met. Looking forward to finishing it. Almost 100 pages in of the over 400 page prequel.
Is that New Spring?

Darth Tater

New Spring was the first fantasy book I read and what got me 'hooked'. Sorry, probably said this before, but it's nice to reminisce :)
That’s really cool. What made you pick that book up? IIRC it was written in the middle of when Jordan wrote the WOT series. Even before LOTR?? Did you see the LOTR movie before reading spring?

My first was LOTR in high school. Then I was in a mall bookstore around 20 years later waiting for a movie to begin and I found the first book of the Deathgate Cycle. I thought about it throughout the movie and decided to start reading again. Luckily the movie let out before the bookstore closed. :)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s really cool. What made you pick that book up? IIRC it was written in the middle of when Jordan wrote the WOT series. Even before LOTR?? Did you see the LOTR movie before reading spring?

My first was LOTR in high school. Then I was in a mall bookstore around 20 years later waiting for a movie to begin and I found the first book of the Deathgate Cycle. I thought about it throughout the movie and decided to start reading again. Luckily the movie let out before the bookstore closed. :)
Well. I did read some fantasy books as a youngster but it was never a genre i was really 'into'. When i started reading fantasy proper, i was about 25/26, and the WoT books caught my eye in the bookshop, but I went with New Spring before delving into the main series. Suffice to say i loved it :)

ExTended

Well. I did read some fantasy books as a youngster but it was never a genre i was really 'into'. When i started reading fantasy proper, i was about 25/26, and the WoT books caught my eye in the bookshop, but I went with New Spring before delving into the main series. Suffice to say i loved it :)
How dare you use such a positive word as 'love' in the same sentence with WoT!? :p

My own fascination with the fantasy literature was almost a fluke, and I am so happy that it has happened. My first real impression of the epicness of the genre was from the LOTR movies - I was 12-13 when I've first encountered them, and when I was 13-14 the final movie went into cinemas and I've gone to watch it multiple times, since at that point LOTR has become hands down my favorite movie of all time. Later on I've found out that it was based on a book( I know). So I've read it and went on participating in many LOTR-based forums. I've slowly come to the realization that there's a genre called fantasy, and one of my LOTR-forum buddies suggested to me WoT. Which was like the first real big literature challenge I've picked up for myself by myself. It was magnificent, for the most part at least, and I can shamelessly say that it's my favorite series, part of it being the fact that it was my first encounter with the fantasy genre, part of it being nostalgia, but the biggest part being that WoT just resonates with me, and I've read it at the proper time of my life - when I was about 16-17 years old.

Before 16-17, I wasn't even aware of the word fantasy. I don't know how. I suppose it's not that popular a term in my country as a whole, and even LOTR seemed just a damn well-done epic movie, an events of its now, rather than a part of something bigger.

The only decently impressionable encounter I've had with the genre before that was probably an italian movie series about a young princess called Fantaghiro made in the 1990s. It's absolutely adorable and fascinating, probably full of tropes, but it did stay with me when I've watched it as a kid and I still have a soft spot for it. I guess I was just lucky stumbling upon it when it was relatively fresh and the 300x300 pixels picture was the norm - nowadays it's probably vastly outdated in anything except its tone.

I am curious if anyone else is familiar with it? A link to some 5x5 pixel YouTube upload, with English narration:

Darth Tater

Reading Unfettered. I had thought it was about a chicken getting plucked.
Un-feathered. Ouch. My apologies.

It’s an anthology of fantasy and sciebce fiction writers compiled to help a fellow writer pay for cancer treatments. A good way for me to sample new writers and briefly revisit some old friends.

The first story was by Terry Brooks who was new to me. I already forgot what it was about but I enjoyed it. It is the root of some other series.

The one by Rothfuss is supposedly heavily connected with KKC. I didn’t get it. Maybe to do with the fae people online speculate. How should I know? I read book 2 decades ago when I was in Junior High. Regardless, it was good.

The next is a humorous one I remember reading in a Tad Williams collection.

So far a really nice collection.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Starting Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe.
I'm sorry. That is one of a very few books that I really wanted to rip to shreds and then set on fire. But it was borrowed so I refrained. (I actually made it through all four volumes but it was an ordeal.)