It's February 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've read book 3 & 4 of Daniel Faust series. Really like the 4th one and I'm continuing on with the 5th now.
Daniel Faust is an urban fantasy kind of like Dresden, but darker, it's more about demons, not fairies. Both Dresden and Faust are magicians, except Faust is more of an anti-hero, petty thief, swindler and overall not a pleasant guy. He also has a crew around him, while Dresden is more of a lone wolf.
Setting is Las Vegas, so that gives it a different vibe as well compared to the Dresden's Windy City.
I really liked it. I also found out that Craig Schaefer has a series called Harmony Black (who is a minor character in this one) which is more popular I guess? I need to check that out.

I also DNF'ed 5th book of Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland. Just when it was getting better, the books went from paranormal romance in first two books, to solid urban fantasy in 3rd and 4th, and 5th just straight up went sideways into high fantasy? I just didn't get it. In the first 100 pages nothing happens. Nothing.
The author introduces a new character, and goes on and on about nothing while the 4th book ended on a cliffhanger. So, I just couldn't go on anymore. Good riddance.

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Reading third book of Black Gate. I feel the second and third books have been a bit slower. The third book is now shaking things up a little. Splitting characters and going to new places. The mystery of the creation of this world and the religious system is something I hope gets revealed sooner than later. Enjoying it.

Khartun

I finished Kellenved's Reach several days ago but haven't been able to decide what to read next. I think I've decided on The Empire Trilogy by Feist and Wurts. Just started Daughter of the Empire.

Cyphon

I just finished Crownbreaker by Sebastien De Castell.

This was a series that defied tradition and actually seemed to get better with each book and produced a finale that was the strongest book of them all. Off the top of my head I can't name another series that accomplished similar so it was a nice treat.

Not sure what I will dive into next.

rudyjuly2

I just finished Crownbreaker by Sebastien De Castell.

This was a series that defied tradition and actually seemed to get better with each book and produced a finale that was the strongest book of them all. Off the top of my head I can't name another series that accomplished similar so it was a nice treat.

Not sure what I will dive into next.
That is rare. I think the only series that did that for me was the Divine Cities series by Robert Bennett. The first book was OK but I held off on reading the next book. But when I went back to the series I felt each book got better. His main character did change throughout and that was part of it.

kenubrion

I've been finishing books that I started in 2019. The Wolf's Call, Bright Steel, and Half the World. Of the three I think I will continue with the Half A War finale to the series first. Well come to think it's the only one that's available to continue. I have bought The Broken Eye and Salvation Lost, which is the second book of Peter Hamilton's new sci-fi series. I was going to go with Daughter of the Empire and when I read the sample and found it familiar, I went to the wiki article about the series and found the three books were written in the early 1990's and thus discovered that I had read them way back.

I haven't seen anyone else mention The Wolf's Call, and I will say it was good to get back into Vaelin's story. This book is much closer to the Blood Song story. I recommend it to Blood Song fans.

I'm still not clear about Bright Steel being the last book or not in Miles Cameron's latest series. Now I see I have a little bit to go yet and maybe that will make it clear. I hope it will continue as I really like this series.

Half the World is old news for Abercrombie's fans but I took a while to get to it. I think I will continue with Half A War right away.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've been reading Daniel Faust series in this month too. I've finished The Killing Floor Blues and I feel like this is the book where this series really comes into its own. I'm really starting to like the main character with all his flaws.
Currently reading the next one, The Castle Doctrine - which in itself is another interesting concept.

rudyjuly2

I finished book 4 of the Black Gate yesterday. I have had some vacation but this was a great, fun and quick read. Very action packed compared to the last two books. Revealed some more of the world background and mystery and had a very climatic ending. Really enjoyed it. Mild spoiler: Audsley is an idiot.