It's February 2021: What fantasy book are you reading?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm currently waiting for the Witcher #5 to arrive (it should come in by Wednesday). In the meantime I'm re-reading Moby Dick and unfortunately my conclusion so far is the same as it was 20 years ago when I had to read the book as part pf my school curriculum; super boring.

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
I switched to reading another basketball book called “Play Their Hearts Out”. It’s sort of the Friday Night Lights version of youth basketball and how dirty it is at the high levels. Not sure what my next fantasy book will be. Kings of Paradise or Blackwing are my top candidates.

kenubrion

I switched to reading another basketball book called “Play Their Hearts Out”. It’s sort of the Friday Night Lights version of youth basketball and how dirty it is at the high levels. Not sure what my next fantasy book will be. Kings of Paradise or Blackwing are my top candidates.
rudy, you reminded me that I have not finished the last volume in both the Blackwing trilogy and the Kings of Paradise trilogy. So I reloaded both and will get to them when I finish The Trouble With Peace. Thanks. And I vote for Kings as your next.

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

Play Their Hearts Out was fantastic if you like basketball and are interested in reading about the dirty details of AAU (travel/club) leagues in the USA. So many dirty people trying to get money out of it. And there is a lot of money for a handful of people and they will screw over anyone to get a piece.

Gonna start on Kings of Paradise. Have a sample loaded up. Nice to see a Canadian author. Not sure how many fellow Canucks write fantasy.

kenubrion

I'm totally immersed in the world of Abercrombie's The Trouble With Peace. Between his books I forget how completely involved I become with his stories until I'm living in it again. No other author makes me feel a part of the story like he does. Maybe except for Miles Cameron. Who thankfully has a new book and trilogy coming this year.

afa, you're gonna like the Murderbot novel and love The Trouble With Peace when you get to them.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm totally immersed in the world of Abercrombie's The Trouble With Peace. Between his books I forget how completely involved I become with his stories until I'm living in it again. No other author makes me feel a part of the story like he does. Maybe except for Miles Cameron. Who thankfully has a new book and trilogy coming this year.

afa, you're gonna like the Murderbot novel and love The Trouble With Peace when you get to them.
Agreed kenubrion, Abercrombie has a gift for pulling you into a story.

afa

No other author makes me feel a part of the story like he does. Maybe except for Miles Cameron.
I've never read Cameron, but if you're putting him at a level with Abercrombie, then I will definitely have to check him out someday.

Looking forward to it!

rudyjuly2

Kindle question: the last two samples I finished reading I bought, but my Kindle took me back to the beginning in the real book. I could have sworn that when I bought the book on my Kindle in the past after finishing the sample it continued from where I left off. Am I crazy?

kenubrion

Kindle question: the last two samples I finished reading I bought, but my Kindle took me back to the beginning in the real book. I could have sworn that when I bought the book on my Kindle in the past after finishing the sample it continued from where I left off. Am I crazy?
Yeah the same irritating thing started happening off and on and now it goes back to the beginning every time. I make note of the location or page number of the end of the sample before I upload it.

kenubrion

I've never read Cameron, but if you're putting him at a level with Abercrombie, then I will definitely have to check him out someday.

Looking forward to it!
He writes as Miles Cameron for fantasy and Christian Cameron for his historical fiction. He has three very popular series going in the latter, two about ancient Greece and one about chivalry in the 14th century with knights and kings and the Crusades and wars in Europe and the whole thing. I buy those the moment they come out. His book prices are reasonable and even low in the chivalry series, which starts with The Ill-Made Knight. He made his name in fantasy with The Red Knight series.

rudyjuly2

I’m reading Kings of Paradise. First book in the trilogy and I’m really enjoying it. I like the two main characters amd the writing is good. I have no idea what the point of this book is yet. Everything is largely peaceful so there has been no hint of epic good vs evil or anything besides the fact the one character is evil and headed down a dark path. About 30% in I think.

rudyjuly2

I don’t know if they have stated what the first TV season WOT will include. The creator has kept a lot of main characters but he said it’s pained him to what he has had to cut. My gut feeling is that the first season will be very close to the first book. But I think the heavy cuts will chop out the middle of the series. The White Tower drama and some later plot lines will have to be reduced as no way this series is 14 years. If it goes half that would be a major win. I can’t even find out if they have resumed filming.

stenney

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
finished The Dragon Waiting......and Lord of Secrets. both good, Dragon moreso, really liked the historical setting. LoS was good,not great, not sure if i'll continue the series.

now reading Plague of Giants. got it because i enjoyed The Iron Druid series, and liked his writing style. this series is 100% different, and his writing style is still very good. i like the world building and magic system is cool. the framing narrative technique is cool to introduce many different POVs. have the second book already waiting to go with after this.

rudyjuly2

Too bad you hated Stormlight #4. I was disappointed with #3 and felt the first 500 pages of this last book were bad. But it rebounded for me and I will definitely be reading the final book 5. I do think this series hasn’t been the great, epic series I was hoping for though.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I finished the latest Stormlight Archives, and I hated it. Sanderson's world-building skills have outgrown his capabilities as a writer.

I started The Poppy War, by Rebecca F Kuang, and I'm loving it.
I stopped after Words of Radiance. I remember liking the first 2 books well enough, but I never bothered to pick up the third instalment in the series.

kenubrion

I stopped after Words of Radiance. I remember liking the first 2 books well enough, but I never bothered to pick up the third instalment in the series.
I did the same. Bought Oathbringer for $2.99 and never read it. I think because of my feelings about Words. The titanic battle at the end of Words was cool and needed but it still wasn't enough to keep me reading.

Darwin

So much of the plot development is just an excuse to reveal more of the magic system. Also his characters are not compelling. Remember reading WoT or ASoIaF, reading an Elaine or Theon chapter and wishing it was Mat or Arya? There was no single pov character in Stormlight Archives that I looked forward to.