It's February 2021: What fantasy book are you reading?

Darwin

Journeyed there and back again
As far as my current reading goes I just finished book 6 of Will Wights Cradle series. I know in some previous reviews I compared it to Naruto in style and it certainly maintains those similarities, but I think my feelings for it lean more toward the feeling I got watching Dragon Ball Z. Nothing in the plot was ever going to really shock you but sometimes it is just fun knowing at some point Goku is going to power up and stomp some villains. That is kind of what you get here. I am enjoying it.
Have you tried the website Royal Road? It hosts a lot of amateur writing, some of which is very good. There's a lot of isekai/cultivation/etc. themes common to manga. I'd place several of the top stories above the Cradle books, although I haven't read the most recent one. Most stories on RR are ongoing, and I keep up with several every week. My personal favorite ongoing story is Beware of Chicken, which is updated nearly ever day. There's a really popular wizard stuck in a time loop story that's complete called Mother of Learning, if you're looking for a good place to start.

rudyjuly2

It’s been awhile since I’ve done this but I gave up on Kings of Paradise. Parts of the book were a bit too dark for my liking but I gave up because it bored me to death. First 20% (or just over 100 pages) really good. But once Dala was introduced the book lost me. She is uninteresting and the characters with her too. Dark and stupid. A religious quack and I struggled to continue. I got over half way but after 200 straight pages where her story is the main focus (with a small amount to Ruka) I couldn’t take it anymore. Life is too short to force myself to read any more of it.

Cyphon

Have you tried the website Royal Road? It hosts a lot of amateur writing, some of which is very good. There's a lot of isekai/cultivation/etc. themes common to manga. I'd place several of the top stories above the Cradle books, although I haven't read the most recent one. Most stories on RR are ongoing, and I keep up with several every week. My personal favorite ongoing story is Beware of Chicken, which is updated nearly ever day. There's a really popular wizard stuck in a time loop story that's complete called Mother of Learning, if you're looking for a good place to start.
Never heard of it but I will definitely take a look. Is it only online or do these authors have physical books? May be kind of weird on my part, but I can read manga online but really like to have books in hand for reading.

Darwin

Some of the authors pull their stuff and publish after they've completed it, but most is only available online, I think. Awaken Online started there, as did The Gam3 and Viridian Gate Online.

Cyphon

Some of the authors pull their stuff and publish after they've completed it, but most is only available online, I think. Awaken Online started there, as did The Gam3 and Viridian Gate Online.
Ok so which ones would you recommend that are Shonen types?

Darwin

Most of the stories fall into the appropriate target age range, and those that don't make that obvious pretty quickly. Mother of Learning, Beware of Chicken, Borne of Caution, Re:Monarch, Azarinth Healer, The Wandering Inn, Ave Xia Rem Y, Infinite Realm: Monsters and Legends, Spiteful Healer, Beneath the Dragoneye Moons, This Quest is Bullshit, and The Primal Hunter are all worth a look. If you don't feel compelled to continue after a chapter or two, move on to the next one.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm struggling with the Lady of the Lake (Witcher 5). The Tower of Swallows was a step down from Baptism of Fire in my view, but now it really has become quite a slog for me (100 pages in now). Did any of you have a similar experience? @Alucard : what do you think?

It's unbelievable really, but I think I actually like the two short story collections better than the main series.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
@Silvion Night
I quite liked the last book according to my rating on GR (5★). I also didn't like The Tower of Swallows. Felt the same way as you.
But you're almost done so maybe concentrate more on the overall saga?
Yeah, I'll try that. Hopefully the pay-off will be worth it. I'm stuck in Touissant now though, with no end in sight. It really is quite tedious at the moment, but I'll soldier on.