It's January 2018 : What SF book are you reading

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Cold Welcome by Elizabeth Moon, the new book in her Vatta military space opera trilogy from many years ago.

Last edited:

Bierschneeman

Just Finished Brave New World
in my future dystopian political Satire marathon of late 1800s and early 1900s I am nearing completion, and this seems to be one of the lesser books, just barely Better than 'Anthem' and 'It can't Happen Here.'
that's not to say its does not have its merits. I love the line "God in the Safe, Ford on the shelf in display" meaning the banned religious books he keeps in private so only he knows that he is more learned and spiritual than his subordinates, but the state philosophy and religion on the shelf, so all can see he is pious to the same tyranny he forces on all others.

now I need to get my hands on a copy of "swastika Night"

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't say that I liked that series like Khartun or Ben. I read...think it was the first 4 books? like you, bought them all together when they were in some sort of sale.

First 2 books were mainly mindless fun - plot and characters were a bit generic, but the books had excellent pace and very good action scenes, so while they weren't mind-boggling or anything, they were perfectly adequate. Don't remember being bothered by the writing style, as it seemed pretty straightforward.

But from book 3 on I felt that the pace was going slower and slower. Maybe Kloos was going for more character development, but for me it was reducing the aspect I was enjoying the most (or only) in the books. Also, the main story of the series wasn't advancing much.

So I quit after book 4. Don't know if I'll ever get to the rest of the series. Maybe.
Cool, ok, will see how I go. Like with any other series I'll take it a book at a time and see how I get on. There's a part of me that really really wants me to love it though as I've waited so long for the last book to come out and start reading it.

kenubrion

I'm rereading Alistair Reynolds' great short story collection, Galactic North. There are more far future innovations and sentient beings in the short story Galactic North than in a dozen of other space adventure books, and the book should be required reading for anyone intending to read his Revelation Space mega-trilogy. It explains what's going on instead of being dropped into the story ala Gardens of the Moon.

Khartun

I finished Terms of Enlistment this morning. This was a strange one for me. For the first half of the book I really struggled with it. I didn't like the writing style and the story didn't do too much for me. There were some parts where I laughed out loud (not in a good way), and it very nearly got added to my list of books that I quit partway through.

But I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. The second half improved in terms of plot and I think I just became accustomed to the writing style and it didn't bother me so much. I'm kinda glad because I own the rest of the series (although I only paid 6 quid for all 6 books). I'll stick with it I think.

@Khartun @ofer i know you've both read some/all of this series. Did you agree with my synopsis of book 1 and in your opinions does the series improve (without spoilers ;))
Can't say that I liked that series like Khartun or Ben. I read...think it was the first 4 books? like you, bought them all together when they were in some sort of sale.

First 2 books were mainly mindless fun - plot and characters were a bit generic, but the books had excellent pace and very good action scenes, so while they weren't mind-boggling or anything, they were perfectly adequate. Don't remember being bothered by the writing style, as it seemed pretty straightforward.

But from book 3 on I felt that the pace was going slower and slower. Maybe Kloos was going for more character development, but for me it was reducing the aspect I was enjoying the most (or only) in the books. Also, the main story of the series wasn't advancing much.

So I quit after book 4. Don't know if I'll ever get to the rest of the series. Maybe.
Mindless fun is exactly how I would describe these. I love these types of, pulpy isn't really the word, but easy to read military sci-fi books like Kloos and Jack Campbell.

I think the next couple of books get better as the books switch to a different story line.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mindless fun is exactly how I would describe these. I love these types of, pulpy isn't really the word, but easy to read military sci-fi books like Kloos and Jack Campbell.

I think the next couple of books get better as the books switch to a different story line.
Yeah me too .. really liked the Campbell books I've read. Hopefully these'll grow on me in the same way!