It's January 2021: What fantasy book are you reading?

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
Finished Soulsmith by Will Wight which is Cradle #2. Got some interesting new characters but the plot wasn't quite as good as I had hoped. Slightly disappointed. Not that it was a bad book but it didn't do anything more to grab me and get me excited for where the plot is going.

rudyjuly2

Starting to read Dune. 70 pages in and I really like it. The one thing that is a bit jarring is the third person omni-present writing style. Within the same chapter we can switch from one characters thoughts to another. I’m so used to modern fantasy being written in first person and having POVs consistent through each chapter.

Cyphon

It is always one of my go to threads so I always have to ask. When and/or will we be getting a forthcoming fantasy thread soon? Not sure with covid how that changes the calculus of release dates.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
When and/or will we be getting a forthcoming fantasy thread soon?
Sorry about that.
I was busy and couldn't dedicate time it takes to compile the list and dates.
Can't make any promises of it coming soon, but I'll try. I'll let you guys know.

Cyphon

Finished Blackflame by Will Wight which is the third book in the Cradle series. It improved on the 2nd and the more I read the more I pick up the anime/manga vibe of it all which is cool.

The one thing I still don't like is that whole angel thing going on. I know it is vaguely connected to the main plot and will eventually connect more but as it stands we just get random chapters thrown in that I have very little interest in.

Has anyone else read these books?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Hey no worries, you are doing us a favor by compiling it. Do you have a go to place or does this come from hunting down blogs and tweets and such?
It's a combination of few websites and YouTube actually.

kenubrion

It's a combination of few websites and YouTube actually.
I apologize for stepping on your toes last year with my list. I should have just submitted what I had found as usual. There is no way anyone could do the compilations that you create. Thank you for all you do.

afa

I finished Exit Strategy a few days ago, the fourth novella in The Murderbot Diaries, and the last before the first full-length novel (which I'm assuming ends the first 'arc' of the series?).

I'm sounding like a broken record here, but the book was once again a good read with a handful of fairly two-dimensional human characters surrounding our protagonist. In this case, we see the return of the characters from the first book. The story has grown interesting, and each book has become increasingly connected. The first was almost a standalone, the second was largely a standalone with some references to past events and hints at a larger story, the third grew those hints to a more fleshed out conspiracy, while this one is more or less a direct continuation of the previous book.

I enjoyed the book. Murderbot might not be a human, but it is nonetheless an interesting and well-written character that you can't help but feel connected to. I'll give this one another 3.5 out of 5. I will go ahead and read the novel at some point in the near future, but not right now.

I had restricted myself to reading shorter books for some time, mainly as a way to get myself back into the rhythm of reading, which I hadn't done in a while. I will now be moving on to my first full-length novel in a while, and for that I pretty much have to go with Joe Abercrombie. He's my favourite author, and I've always read his previous books pretty much as soon as they were out, so it's quite disappointing for me that I haven't even started his new trilogy yet, despite it having been around for well over a year.

And so, I am starting A Little Hatred. If Abercrombie can't get me back to reading novels, then no one can.

rudyjuly2

I’m 190 pages into Dune and I wish they defined “spice” and “melange” better. They first start talking about it and I’m like what? They mining salt and pepper lol? That valuable? The wiki explains it better. Just felt odd when I started reading.

kenubrion

I’m 190 pages into Dune and I wish they defined “spice” and “melange” better. They first start talking about it and I’m like what? They mining salt and pepper lol? That valuable? The wiki explains it better. Just felt odd when I started reading.
Yeah, Dune is a thick book, and not just in length but also in depth.

Khartun

I finished A Time of Courage. The last book of the Of Blood and Bone series and the last book from The Banished Lands. John Gwynne can really write battle scenes. This was another fantastic book by Gwynne. I'm excited for his next series but sad there aren't any more books from the Banished Lands on the horizon.

I just started reading The Real Story - Gap Cycle #1 by Stephen Donaldson.

rudyjuly2

Finished Dune and it was really good. I’d give it a 4.5/5. I’m a sucker for prophecies and young heroes. Anyone feel the lead in blurbs before a chapter, which contain future writings, had too many spoilers? They gave away major reveals that otherwise would be shocking when they happened and yet you knew it was going to happen. I didn’t mind it but I wonder if it would have been better without them.

The trailer for the upcoming movie looks good. As usual most trailers give away a little too much but most people won’t notice if you haven’t read the book.

Last edited:

kenubrion

Finally another Dune. Feels like I've been waiting for 55 years. No, it's been 56. Anyway, it's only the first half. But it looks great. Thanks rudyjuly.