It's July 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
I just finished the 4th book of the Dagger and Coin. On to book 5.

This last book was better than book 3 which was the worst in the series. Overall the series has been a little too slow. I wouldn’t have minded the speed if I cared about more of the characters. Some characters’ plot just don’t feel that important. A decent series but it could have been better imo. Hopefully there is a great finish.

ExTended

I just finished the 4th book of the Dagger and Coin. On to book 5.

This last book was better than book 3 which was the worst in the series. Overall the series has been a little too slow. I wouldn’t have minded the speed if I cared about more of the characters. Some characters’ plot just don’t feel that important. A decent series but it could have been better imo. Hopefully there is a great finish.
I felt the same way about the series in my first read, mostly positive about the series, with some complaints about certain characters and the pace of the story, but on the other hand it's a great re-read exactly for that purpose - when you aren't expecting fireworks, but a comfortable camp fire, that's exactly what you get and it's great.

But my first read was positively miserable at one point too. Especially with Clara's chapters and the general slowness of books 3 and 4. Well, book 5 isn't all that different, although it's more balanced so to speak. A good finish to a decent story, but noting groundbreaking in the grand scheme of things.

I myself am finishing with Malazan 3, about 1/2 through Legion of Flame by Anthony Ryan, 1/3 through Vlad Taltos 4 and 1/2 through my Way of Kings re-read. The Taltos book is the one big offender of the bunch - not bad, but I bet that I'd forget the plot in less than a year. The main character lacks a bite so to speak. He is a rogue and a thief and an assassin, but fails to be singular in any of those things - a very meh kind of a main character.

Legion of Flame is so/so as well. I'd hate to hate it, so I hope that it would manage to keep itself from going there. So far there are parts of it that are great, and some parts for which I don't really care. It's a very Anthony Ryan thing to be honest, he always drags those viewpoints way too much, overstays his welcome so to speak. Still, I like it better than I expected( I was expecting a total disaster btw), but my expectations grew as the series progressed, however Anthony is always just one step away from crashing my new found hope for his books. :D

His upcoming Vaelyn book is one of the most exciting things ever, though. If he betrays me with anything less than a 8/10 novel that would be my last time where I'm considering him as an A-list fantasy writer.

Cyphon

I think I am finding some momentum reading again. I am most of the way through Wrath of Empire by Brian McClellan and once again he has delivered a solid book. For me he lands in that zone where if I am not into reading at the time he isn't going to make me jump back in with excitement but I also know when I pick up one of his books I will get something that definitely isn't going to let me down either. I don't want that to come across as a backhanded compliment either because I genuinely have enjoyed all 5 of his books to this point, I just don't sit around twitching waiting for the next release.

With that being said I would go right into Blood of Empire if it was out already. Unfortuantely it looks like December for that.

stenney

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
finished Blood of Assassins, and King of Assassins. enjoyed the series a good deal, cool magic system, and a nice break with only 1 POV and a pretty much straight forward story.

then finished Priest of Bones, really enjoyed it, went in directions that were unexpected, but work. looking forward to the 2nd book when i get it tomorrow.

reading Manticore's Soiree now until Priest of Lies comes in.

rudyjuly2

Finished the Spider’s War. Final/fifth book of Dagger and Coin. I will give the final book a 3.5. Much like most of the series the book was on the slower side and lacked urgency. I was largely happy it wrapped up. Overall the series was average. Solid writing for the most part but too many slow or uninteresting spots and characters that dragged it down.

I found most of the series realistic but the finale was not. To gather all of the spider priests from across the continent and bring them together before the opposing army just outside Camnipol got there was very unrealistic. It was a stretch I just have to swallow I guess but disappointing.

There were questions that weren’t answered. What purpose did the Drowned have? I thought we would learn more about how the first Dragon war sort of ended. Did the humans kill all the dragons and force the spider priests into hiding? I guess so but I thought we would hear more.

ExTended

I found most of the series realistic but the finale was not. To gather all of the spider priests from across the continent and bring them together before the opposing army just outside Camnipol got there was very unrealistic. It was a stretch I just have to swallow I guess but disappointing.

There were questions that weren’t answered. What purpose did the Drowned have? I thought we would learn more about how the first Dragon war sort of ended. Did the humans kill all the dragons and force the spider priests into hiding? I guess so but I thought we would hear more.
I cannot remember exactly, but weren't the drowned created for the sabotage maneuver made by Innis against his brother where he killed off every single dragon by mistake?

That answers your last question either. It probably wasn't all the humans, but the newly created scaled variant of humans that Innis made exactly before going to sleep. So he basically killed off all of his kin and left behind a human race capable of ending the dragon priests before going into hibernation and he basically wakes up in the present to see the results of that strike against his brother.

I'm left with the impression that the dragon war you're referring to wasn't exactly a dragon war, but two powerful dragons trying to outsmart each-other, things escalating beyond normal and one of them ending up blowing their city and everyone in it apart, basically ending his own race's existence.
[/SPOLER]

Finished William's, Empire of Grass today. Took me a long time as I just wasn't reading all that much in may or June. I basically read the last 2/3rds the last week or so. It was good. It starts off on a slow burn and takes about the half way point to really get going, but it then gets really good and becomes an absolute page turner. I'm a bit upset, though. It being the 2nd book means it ends on all kinds of cliffhangers when things are really reaching a fever pitch and now I have to wait till the final book comes out. This is why I prefer to wait for a series to finish before I start it. lol I'm not a patient person. I'm going to now read a Garrett P.I. novel to cleanse my palette before I jump into something more serious. I need to get back to Path of Ascendancy, but I'm just not feeling it right now for whatever reason.

Cyphon

Little bit of a list today.

Wrath of Empire - Already mostly gave it a review and it finished well. Looking forward to the final installment. I'd give it about a 4/5.

Spellslinger - Castells other work is better but this was still entertaining enough. I guess the best word I can think of to describe it is "basic". There are elements of the magic I am interested in and some of the plot but on the whole it didn't stand out much within the genre. 3-3.5/5

Since I have finished those I have picked up Impyrium by Henry H. Neff. I was a big big fan of his Tapestry series and often cite it as very underrated but Impyrium is starting off slow for me. Having a little trouble turning pages in the early goings. His reputation will keep me in it but I remember quite early being hooked with Tapestry so I am hoping this isn't a bad sign.

Lastly I am listening to the Acacia audiobooks on my drive to work. This was another series I liked that rarely ever gets mentioned but I read it a long time ago so I will be interested to see how it holds up for me.