It's July 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I have dropped Forge of Darkness by Steven Erikson. It is very different from Malazan, full of endless exposition and exhaustive character exploration rather than story development of any plot. I was sure it would be action oriented and I was eager to read about what came before Malazan but apparently it was a boring time. I might try again because I always give books like this a second or third chance. I wonder, has anyone else had this reaction through the first 20%?

Unwilling to give up on Erikson, I read Bauchelain and Korbal Broach and enjoyed it. Lots of action and humorous banter that made me laugh many times.

Now I am well into The Heart of What Was Lost and enjoying it. I took advantage of the price reduction for this and The Witchwood Crown. Being back in this world is a comfortable feeling.

I stopped The Age of... books by Michael Sullivan at the second one. I just lost interest in the characters and the story.

ExTended

Journeyed there and back again
I stopped The Age of... books by Michael Sullivan at the second one. I just lost interest in the characters and the story.
The third book has been the best so far, maybe the 4th was good as well, but yeah... definitely a slow start and an uninspired cast of characters. It's just too childish and the fact that 75% of the characters are females who refuse to move the plot forward by following on their own logic more decisively doesn't help either. Not that the males are that much better in that regard - it's like one big conspiracy to keep the plot slogging. :)