It's July 2019: What sci-fi book are you reading?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
The Warship by Neal Asher just released so I dropped my fantasy book, Return of the Crimson Guard, to read this book 2 in the Rise of the Jain trilogy, my favorite current sci-fi series and author. It's all speculative hard science with never ending action and is all built on the Polity background which started many books ago, sort of like Ian M. Banks' Culture world and background.

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

Figure I will post this here as well.

I really liked “a long way to a small, angry planet”. Gonna give it a 4.5 but round down to 4 rather than 5 for score.

Likes: the crew. This is the best part and a big part of the book. Many different type of people and species and their relationships are the core of this book. This is not a science heavy book and the dialogue is great.

Cons: my only complaint is that the book didn’t really have much of a plot. The entire book felt like a setup book for future ones. It introduces us to the galaxy, the different species, politics and the cast of the Wayfarer and heart of the story. But there isn’t much of a climax or major plot imo.

Definitely going to read the next book. Great start to the series.

ReguIa

Read Ready Player One not too long ago. It was really great, definitely more to it than what the movie had. Because I watched the movie first I still like them both. However I'm certain that if I had read it before watching it, I would have been very disappointed with the adaptation.

Khartun

Read Ready Player One not too long ago. It was really great, definitely more to it than what the movie had. Because I watched the movie first I still like them both. However I'm certain that if I had read it before watching it, I would have been very disappointed with the adaptation.
I was a bit disappointed but not too bad. I loved the book so much because I grew up in that time where most of the pop culture references are from but I can understand why they made that stuff more modern in the movie.