It's June 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Just finished the first Fareer Trilogy book, Assassin's Apprentice. Overall I give it 4/5 stars. It was pretty slow in the beginning through the first half. At no time should this book be considered fast paced or action packed. But the second half did have quite a few memorable moments. Overall I thought the book was incredibly well written. The prose and style were very good. Robin Hobb (from my pov) seems to be a great writer. I enjoyed the coming of age stuff and the mystery in the book. I liked the subtle powers. Magic is hardly powerful or abundant and there are no dragons or particularly odd things. The only other criticism that I had was I would have liked a little more background on some of the side characters. Some times minor characters like August or Hands are brought up as though I should know more about them and I barely know them at all. But a solid first book and on to the second!

Andrew.J

After a little break I've decided to finish Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham. I'm currently halfway through An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet #3). I was little burnt out when I quit reading the book late last year, but it's quite terrific now that it's piqued my interest again. It's my favourite one so far. I like the new PoV characters and the older returning characters as well. I think I might like them more now than when they were young in book one. Either way, I'm looking forward to finishing the book and the series. It's one of the better fantasy works I've read.
I finished A Shadow in Summer. It was quite different than Abraham's later works. I liked it but boy was it slow. I don't even find Martin's Feast or Dance to be particularly slow for me but this was slow. I'm not 100% sure what it was exactly but I'll chalk it up to the unique "pose" system they have going on. It was a really cool and unique idea but having to read "x struck a pose conveying x ,y, and z" every paragraph just made it a slog to get through. I love the innovative idea but it bogged down the pace significantly. I still enjoyed it as I can appreciate slower moving fantasy, and by the end I did get used to it, but it didn't read any faster. I'm actually taking a break from the series for a bit and am going to start Planetfall by Emma Newman today.
That's interesting. While the book was a bit slower, I read it very quickly. Do continue with the series, though, it gets better with each book, IMO. In An Autumn War the pose system is toned down a bit, I think, and isn't as intrusive. But I might be wrong here, as it never really bothered me.

Matticus Primal

The only other criticism that I had was I would have liked a little more background on some of the side characters.
Don't worry, you'll get quite a bit of backstory based on them in the next few books. In fact, I believe Hobb is working on a prequel (novella maybe) about Patience/ Lacy. No one does characters better IMO, and even Mark Lawrence used her as an example of how you can indeed have deep secondary characters when writing in a first person POV.

ExTended

I've been making my way through the novellas/short stories galore of the Power Mage universe, since I've finished book 1 and would like to have the prequels under my belt before starting on the 2nd book in the trilogy. I am almost done, like 2.5-3 hours away from fishing the remaining novella and short story, after I've got the other novellas and the 3 other short stories done. So far they've been entertaining, some more than others. I really dislike, like passionately dislike, the male narrator( Daniel Dorse) of the novellas/short stories. I'd call him The Whispering Mumble guy from now on. And I thought the novels narrator( Christian Rodska) was an unfortunate choice, but alas - they've done even worse with the casting choice for the shorter works. Luckily - there is a woman narrating some of the short stuff too, Julie Hoverson, and she is the only one to do justice to the books.

I am also going through Beauty by I don't know which author - found it in the best fantasy books from whatever decade lists on the site for the reading challenge. I actually like it very much so far. It's quite a nice take on a favorite childhood trope/story.

Plus doing a Blood Song re-read. I have forgotten about how good the book actually was. Makes me even angrier for the dip in quality in the following books.

And for a grand final - I am reading the Lioness books by Tamora Pierce. If Mary Sue + girl power + love pentagons + two-dimensional supporting characters are your fix, then this series is exactly for you. The only reason I am continuing with it is at this point is because I need it for the reading challenge and I am already 1/3 into the 4th book. The first book was interesting - believe me, it's a trap.

Peat

I'm continuing my great Feist re-read - now up to Rise of a Merchant Prince.

Also, the first Lioness book by Tamora Pierce was super fun. I think I start blinking at the series when she went to not-China.

kenubrion

I will be done with Wrath of Empire today and next up is The City of Brass, mention of which I have not seen here.

rudyjuly2

Plus doing a Blood Song re-read. I have forgotten about how good the book actually was. Makes me even angrier for the dip in quality in the following books.
When I re-read Blood Song I loved it just as much as the first time. I also found I liked the second book more than my initial feelings and felt it was close to the level of book 1. The third book was a big drop imo.

Cyphon

When I re-read Blood Song I loved it just as much as the first time. I also found I liked the second book more than my initial feelings and felt it was close to the level of book 1. The third book was a big drop imo.
Mirrors my thoughts exactly. In fact I think I rated the 2nd book .5 higher "objectively" but still enjoyed the first book more.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I agree with both of you. I liked the second book just as much as book 1. Both were superb in my opinion. Book 3 is mediocre at best.

kenubrion

So far The City of Brass is quite good, like a combination of Shattered Sands for location and The Golem and The Jinni for plot. Definitely Arabian Nights pedigree.

Darth Tater

Completed Bobby Dollar trilogy. Tad Williams. Dresden Files fans should love this urban fantasy. No vampires or wizards. Instead you have angels and assorted nasty demons. But heaven has it’s politics as does hell and the two fight each other but there are power struggles within each also. Williams imaginative depictions of the afterlife really make you think about things.

This particular book had an ending but there are still unresolved issues and mysteries. So there is an opening for a sequel series. Book one focused a lot on heaven. Book two on hell. This book mostly took place on earth.

Ryan W. Mueller

I seem to share the same feelings on Blood Song and Tower Lord. I think Blood Song was a 9.5/10 and Tower Lord was a 9/10 for me. Queen of Fire was more like a 7/10.

I've heard that his new series is good. I'll probably pick it up since the last book in the trilogy is coming out soon.

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Completed Bobby Dollar trilogy. Tad Williams. Dresden Files fans should love this urban fantasy. No vampires or wizards. Instead you have angels and assorted nasty demons. But heaven has it’s politics as does hell and the two fight each other but there are power struggles within each also. Williams imaginative depictions of the afterlife really make you think about things.
I'm also reading this trilogy, after the merely decent The Barbed Coil - cool portal fantasy premise and an interesting first half and magic system, but a bit repetitive and quite excessive with the details about scribing in the long run.

Anyway, the first installment was rather generic urban fantasy stuff, strenghtened however by the sublime writing - quite different indeed from the only other works of Williams I've read, MST, but still excellent - and world-building.
But I'm liking the second installment, Happy Hour in Hell, quite a bit more, due to its unique setting and premise, an undercover mission in Hell amongst costant bleakness and suffering, where Williams could let his imagination run free, putting our hero through an endless cycle of pains and miseries.

Ryan W. Mueller

I'm also reading this trilogy, after the merely decent The Barbed Coil - cool portal fantasy premise and an interesting first half and magic system, but a bit repetitive and quite excessive with the details about scribing in the long run.

Anyway, the first installment was rather generic urban fantasy stuff, strenghtened however by the sublime writing - quite different indeed from the only other works of Williams I've read, MST, but still excellent - and world-building.
But I'm liking the second installment, Happy Hour in Hell, quite a bit more, due to its unique setting and premise, an undercover mission in Hell amongst costant bleakness and suffering, where Williams could let his imagination run free, putting our hero through an endless cycle of pains and miseries.
I appreciated Happy Hour in Hell for the same reasons, but a lot of people really don't like it.

Darth Tater

I appreciated Happy Hour in Hell for the same reasons, but a lot of people really don't like it.
I think Happy Hour was really unique. A book that will always stay with me. Dante’s Inferno with the heat turned up. Did anyone else see a lot of parallels to the Dresden series?

kenubrion

Darth, Bobby Dollar sounds like the movie Constantine, one of my all-time favs. Is it? If so, I'm finally going to read it.

Just recalled, Terry Pratchett's Eric was a mission to hell with Rincewind starring.

Last edited:

Darth Tater

Darth, Bobby Dollar sounds like the movie Constantine, one of my all-time favs. Is it? If so, I'm finally going to read it.

Just recalled, Terry Pratchett's Eric was a mission to hell with Rincewind starring.
I dunno. Never saw Constantine. I’m not trying to push Dollar. I didn’t “love” it but thought it was quite good and a worthwhile read.
Especially for urban fans. It was well written (Tad Williams) and very creative. I keep comparing it to Dresden, and feel confident Harry fans will love it, but there’s much more depth and food for thought, IMO.

If you read the pages from the Amazon sample, you’ll get a pretty good idea of the tone and where it’s headed.

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Yep, I've seen the ratings on GoodReads, and I can understand their point of view, the plot is indeed quite thin, and all of these misfortunes may seems a bit repetitive, although I've found them extremely evocative, they created an unyielding and oppressive mood that really resonated with me. And partly wore on me as well, but due to the theme of the book I'd consider it a plus.
And the final deceit, as much as I was expecting it, was brilliant and a great hook for the last installment.

Darth Tater

Yep, I've seen the ratings on GoodReads, and I can understand their point of view, the plot is indeed quite thin, and all of these misfortunes may seems a bit repetitive, although I've found them extremely evocative, they created an unyielding and oppressive mood that really resonated with me. And partly wore on me as well, but due to the theme of the book I'd consider it a plus.
And the final deceit, as much as I was expecting it, was brilliant and a great hook for the last installment.
Book two was indeed oppressive and wore me down too. I kept putting the book down for that reason and then picking it up again shortly afterward to see what would happen next.

Cyphon

Finished up Tyrant's Throne by Sebastien De Castell.

I am not sure if part of it was burnout from reading straight through or the book really was just my least favorite, but number 3 put a pause on reading the series for me. I finally picked it back up for the final book a few weeks ago and book 4 was a complete redemption. I don't know that it is the best finish to a series I have read but I can't think of a better one off the top of my head.

Everything that was great about the series was carried into the final book and whether we are talking about awesomeness, emotional moments, or something great between our main trio, the best of the best was found in this book. Loved the series, loved the ending.

10/10