It's June 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Nice summation Cyphon. I was wary of finding out too much but you expressed your opinion quite nicely without giving anything way except that the ending is very good. Now I'm going to book three after I finish Richard Morgan's Thirteen, one of the most edgy and intense books I've read.

Cyphon

Nice summation Cyphon. I was wary of finding out too much but you expressed your opinion quite nicely without giving anything way except that the ending is very good. Now I'm going to book three after I finish Richard Morgan's Thirteen, one of the most edgy and intense books I've read.
Thanks. I like to be as vague as possible in my reviews.

ExTended

Thanks. I like to be as vague as possible in my reviews.
Me too. I like it when people keep their reviews vague when it comes to plot details and I try to do the same in mine. I even tend to skip the posts that few members write in those monthly threads, to keep myself from being spoiled. And while there's nothing wrong with more detailed reviews, I absolutely hate spoiler, even to an extent as not to read blurbs of books I am about to begin reading.

I still remember a guy spoiling that precious Tyrion & Tywin golden sh*t moment for me while discussing aSoIaF with me, I am still kind of indignant about it a dozen or more years later. :D

Not to be completely off-topic - I've finished Beauty by Robin McKinley and while I've enjoyed the rest of the story as much as the Disney animation adaptation of the story, I am not sure about the ending of the book. It was kind of rushed and uneventful, no real plot-pressure except the time bomb trope, which didn't escalate at all, so it was like "Oh, eh, let's put the background for the final scene guys, no rush, no ruish."

Tone 9/10. Story 7.4/10. It's above decent and certainly below awesome. :)

Last edited:

Cyphon

Me too. I like it when people keep their reviews vague when it comes to plot details and I try to do the same in mine. I even tend to skip the posts that few members write in those monthly threads, to keep myself from being spoiled. And while there's nothing wrong with more detailed reviews, I absolutely hate spoiler, even to an extent as not to read blurbs of books I am about to begin reading.
I know you are a fan of the series, what were your thoughts on which books were best and how it ended?

Darth Tater

Gosh. I just finished the outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinley. I read Robin Hood a couple years ago and loved it. I thought no way this book could hold up to the Robin Hood story or her last book that I read called Beauty. Which was a version of Beauty and the Beast. Not only did this hold up to those but it surpassed them!! The characters were so interesting and you really cared about them. The story itself was more tense and a bit less merry than the book by Howard Pyle (one of my favorite classics) but that just made it more interesting. There was more depth and the camaraderie was incredible. There is something else I wanna say about both books but I think it would spoil something so I will keep it to myself. The books are on sale a lot (like today) but only one other one interests me. @Alucard There is also one about vampires which is on sale for $1.99 for the next couple days I think. She also wrote the Hero and the Crown. I don’t think I’ve recommended any books in a long time. That is because we all have such different tastes. So I only try to describe the books a little and my own feelings. But I think I’m safe recommending that you take a look at them and if something interests you to consider it. :)
If you are set on grit, anti-heroes, politics and all that stuff you won’t find it here. If you are looking for a really well told story with a twist on the original ( I mean, like Robin Hood could not hit the broadside of a barn with an arrow) you may just find it here.

https://www.amazon.com/Robin-McKinley/e/B000AQ1OUY

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I am still reading the Gulag Archipelago, but now I also started on Toll the Hounds, because I just couldn't help myself; I had to dive back into the Malazan world.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
That’s my least favourite Malazan book from Erikson ... not bad, but it doesn’t compare to the others. It dors have a good ending
A lot of people don't like it as much as the other books. I'm a fan though. It's totally different in nature. More poetic (mainly due to Kruppe's ruminations). I like it a lot. It has a flowing, surreal quality to it. It's slow paced though, especially after the fireworks starting in the middle of Reaper's Gale. I guess that's what throws a lot of people off.

Jakyro

A lot of people don't like it as much as the other books. I'm a fan though. It's totally different in nature. More poetic (mainly due to Kruppe's ruminations). I like it a lot. It has a flowing, surreal quality to it. It's slow paced though, especially after the fireworks starting in the middle of Reaper's Gale. I guess that's what throws a lot of people off.
That it’s slow paced certainly was a letdown after TBH and RG, but for me the story Just wasn’t as interesting. I really didn’t like the parts with the Tiste Andii ... and that I don’t like kruppe doesn’t help either

rudyjuly2

Finished the second book of the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. An excellent second book that I liked more than the first book since it wasn’t quite as slow. This is still far from an action packed novel and it isn’t really an epic fantasy either but I love the characters and writing.

5/5
On to book 3!

Cyphon

Finished up Scourged by Kevin Hearne

I am not sure if I have lost my taste for this series and the writing or this book was just not all that good compared to the series on the whole. I never had Iron Druid rated overly high but did enjoy it throughout. With this book however the writing felt kind of preachy and pretentious at times and the attempts at wit didn't do anything for me (although I never found the series particularly funny).

The story itself made for a lazy ending. Nothing ever came close to feeling end of the world dreadful and in fact it all seemed incredibly easy for the good guys. There are quite a few series I have ended where there was a bit of an emotional toll and I needed to refresh before moving onto another book but I came out of this one with nothing really. It is over. Ok.

6/10

Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm

Finished the second book of the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb.
Once you are done with the Farseer Trilogy, don't overlook The Liveship Traders!
It's the trilogy that comes after Farseer, before "Fitz and Fool".

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
That it’s slow paced certainly was a letdown after TBH and RG, but for me the story Just wasn’t as interesting. I really didn’t like the parts with the Tiste Andii ... and that I don’t like kruppe doesn’t help either
I don't particularly like the Tiste Andii storyline involving Nimander, Skintick, Clip and the rest of that group. I do like Kruppe though.

I'm 300 pages into the 1200 page book and I find progress to be slow. Still enjoying it overall though.

Derk of Derkholm

I’ve really this world and Hobb’s writing. I definitely see myself continuing.
Mind you, the "Liveship Traders" are set in another part of the Six Duchies, with a different style, and only a few of the main heroes overlapping between the two story arcs, but IMO still an important (and enjoyable) part of the story.

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I finished Prince of Thorns last night. It took me a lot longer than normally a book that size would as I just wasn't reading much over the last month or so. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Generally I'd go right into the next book of the series, but instead I think I'm going to take a detour and read a Garret PI novel. (Dead Brass Shadows)

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I’ve really this world and Hobb’s writing. I definitely see myself continuing.

I’ve enjoyed the start of book 3 but am hoping to get some of the older characters back in the story.
Definitely read Liveship Traders before you start the Tawny Man Trilogy. I actually skipped it and went right to TM back then and there were times that things would be brought up that I didn't know about and would have if I had read Liveship Traders first. It didn't hurt the enjoyment of it, but it will make ita richer experience if you read LT first. That's all beside the point that Liveship Traders is actually my favorite trilogy of the novels in this world anyway.

rudyjuly2

I’m usually terrible at seeing surprises ahead of time but for the finale in the Farseer Trilogy I think something will be revealed. Figured I would put down my little prediction and see how bad it turns out. But don't tell me how wrong (or potentially right) I am until I finish it!

I think Fitz' dad Chivalry has the Wit and is still alive. I think he was saved in the same way as Fitz was which is why I think Patience wrapped his wounds properly when he was buried. That may be a real stretch but I think he may still live. And I think Chivalry somehow impregnated Fitz' mom as an animal while she may have been an animal. I figured I would put it in writing to see how wrong I may be lol