It's June 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Finished the final book of the Farseer Trilogy. This was the weakest book imo. It was the longest and probably the slowest too.

(Very minor spoilers ahead)
The first half of book one is slow but you could sense where it was going. The second book was best imo. But this final book discards a lot of my favourite characters from the first two books with much of the first half of the book adding newer characters. A lot of the newer characters didn’t really have a lot of relevance towards resolving the outcome either.

I thought there would be a massive battle at the end. Or some cool twist or prophesy I missed. Instead it felt like a letdown to me. It was more of an odd and simple ending.

I very much enjoyed this world. I really enjoyed Fitz, the wolf and a lot of the characters. The writing quality itself is very strong. Just a bit of a letdown with the finale.

3.5/5

Darth Tater

Finished the final book of the Farseer Trilogy. This was the weakest book imo. It was the longest and probably the slowest too.

(Very minor spoilers ahead)
The first half of book one is slow but you could sense where it was going. The second book was best imo. But this final book discards a lot of my favourite characters from the first two books with much of the first half of the book adding newer characters. A lot of the newer characters didn’t really have a lot of relevance towards resolving the outcome either.

I thought there would be a massive battle at the end. Or some cool twist or prophesy I missed. Instead it felt like a letdown to me. It was more of an odd and simple ending.

I very much enjoyed this world. I really enjoyed Fitz, the wolf and a lot of the characters. The writing quality itself is very strong. Just a bit of a letdown with the finale.

3.5/5
I quit after book one in series one. Several events seemed pointless and the ending felt rushed/thrown together in the scheme of things. Too depressing throughout. Obviously, a minority viewpoint. Regardless, you gave a really informative summary. :)

The Fool was a tremendous character. Hobb’s story in an anthology about a stranded group was one of my favorite shorts ever.

Darth Tater

Peter and Wendy (aka Peter Pan). Hey, quit looking at me that way. I’m not sure I would be comfortable reading this to a kid. Never saw the Disney version but knew the basics. Disney bastardized the book. Cute Peter Pan the hero? Not. He’s a sociopath. Narcissistic, manipulative, etc. i guess he was an early anti hero. He isn’t evil. He has no conscience and hasn’t any concept of what one is. Wendy is the hero. I won’t give away the plot but this is loaded with adult themes, innuendos and tongue in cheek remarks by the author. I enjoyed it. Free on Kindle.

Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children. I don’t usually read YA but this was good. The illustrations are great and came out ok on Kindle. I was hoping it would be supervcreepy based on the movie clips I saw but IMO it wasn’t. The characters were neat. I dioubt I will read books. Great concept and well done.

Edit: oops. Forgot. Tinker Bell should be called Psycho Bitch from Hell.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm still working my way through Toll the Hounds. I'm enjoying it, but it's slow going, as the pace of the book is also quite slow. Still, much to enjoy though.

Travis

Killed a Balrog
So I thought I had posted after I finished Planetfall but I guess I never did :p. (Finished it like 3 weeks ago) I really liked it overall. While I did have some issues with it (the ending for starters), I liked the very unique ideas that Newman used in crafting a believable science fiction scenario. I especially loved the exploration of 3-D print technology. I also loved the approach that Newman took with portraying a psychological condition in a character (without giving too much away). I'm really looking forward to reading After Atlas and Before Mars.

I also just finished Knight's Shadow today. Overall, I liked it a bit more than Traitor's Blade (which I already liked quite a bit). Whereas TB had a very bogged down middle, KS never turned into a slog. Once again, I did figure out the twist, er main twist(?), very early on:

Shuran being behind the Black Tabbards - as soon as it seemed like Knights were rebelling against the Dukes, I just knew it had to be Shuran. I'm okay with this twist being so easy to figure out though, just as I was fine with the Aline twist being so easy to figure out in the prior book. While I love when books can surprise me, there is something very satisfying about a book following a logical path and being able to anticipate twists, even when the protagonist is seemingly incapable of seeing them.

I do still feel like, while it didn't necessarily drag, it felt a bit too long. I'm not sure why exactly - I think it might just be the author's style. He includes so many "events" and plot turns in each book that I don't think most of the action gets enough room to breathe and fully develop:

The Greatcoat's Lament was the most aggravating section for me. The Dashini twist was cool, and then it was like "Yep the Tailor is basically willing to let them kill Falcio just because they failed to kill him before" and then "Oh and now they made a deal with Trin so she can get off on torturing him??????" I'm sorry but wow these books are just trying to hamfist how "super duper evil and sexual" Trin is. It's completely unbelievable. And the whole "Is Dariana really good or bad?" thing was also stupid. Basically everything in the lament was just bad.

I think his books would be much better if maybe a little less happened but what did happen was more fully developed. That said though, that's really the only thing holding the series back for me. Still so much fun to read and the characters are great! 8.5 for me on this one.

Oh! Almost forgot to mention, I'm starting The Lies of Locke Lamora tomorrow. I've had this on my shelf (all 3 books so far actually) for awhile and I've been craving to read it so badly. My expectations are extremely high, and I'm sure it will meet them! :D

Last edited:

Travis

Killed a Balrog
That's interesting. While the book was a bit slower, I read it very quickly. Do continue with the series, though, it gets better with each book, IMO. In An Autumn War the pose system is toned down a bit, I think, and isn't as intrusive. But I might be wrong here, as it never really bothered me.
That's good to hear! Yeah I'll definitely continue reading it! I think it's certainly a series I won't be able to binge though haha

Maark Abbott

I've actually stopped reading. I just have no desire to do it at all at the moment.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
So I thought I had posted after I finished Planetfall but I guess I never did :p. (Finished it like 3 weeks ago) I really liked it overall. While I did have some issues with it (the ending for starters), I liked the very unique ideas that Newman used in crafting a believable science fiction scenario. I especially loved the exploration of 3-D print technology. I also loved the approach that Newman took with portraying a psychological condition in a character (without giving too much away). I'm really looking forward to reading After Atlas and Before Mars.

I also just finished Knight's Shadow today. Overall, I liked it a bit more than Traitor's Blade (which I already liked quite a bit). Whereas TB had a very bogged down middle, KS never turned into a slog. Once again, I did figure out the twist, er main twist(?), very early on:

Shuran being behind the Black Tabbards - as soon as it seemed like Knights were rebelling against the Dukes, I just knew it had to be Shuran. I'm okay with this twist being so easy to figure out though, just as I was fine with the Aline twist being so easy to figure out in the prior book. While I love when books can surprise me, there is something very satisfying about a book following a logical path and being able to anticipate twists, even when the protagonist is seemingly incapable of seeing them.

I do still feel like, while it didn't necessarily drag, it felt a bit too long. I'm not sure why exactly - I think it might just be the author's style. He includes so many "events" and plot turns in each book that I don't think most of the action gets enough room to breathe and fully develop:

The Greatcoat's Lament was the most aggravating section for me. The Dashini twist was cool, and then it was like "Yep the Tailor is basically willing to let them kill Falcio just because they failed to kill him before" and then "Oh and now they made a deal with Trin so she can get off on torturing him??????" I'm sorry but wow these books are just trying to hamfist how "super duper evil and sexual" Trin is. It's completely unbelievable. And the whole "Is Dariana really good or bad?" thing was also stupid. Basically everything in the lament was just bad.

I think his books would be much better if maybe a little less happened but what did happen was more fully developed. That said though, that's really the only thing holding the series back for me. Still so much fun to read and the characters are great! 8.5 for me on this one.

Oh! Almost forgot to mention, I'm starting The Lies of Locke Lamora tomorrow. I've had this on my shelf (all 3 books so far actually) for awhile and I've been craving to read it so badly. My expectations are extremely high, and I'm sure it will meet them! :D
Yay! The Lies of Locke Lamora is great. In fact, I really liked the other Gentleman Basterds books too (although book 1 is the best).

Interesting rumor: the story goes that book 4 in the series, the Thorn of Emberlain, is due to be released in December.

Travis

Killed a Balrog
Yay! The Lies of Locke Lamora is great. In fact, I really liked the other Gentleman Basterds books too (although book 1 is the best).

Interesting rumor: the story goes that book 4 in the series, the Thorn of Emberlain, is due to be released in December.
You know that's actually why I had been waiting to start the series. I bought the 3 books 2-3 years ago and had heard that the 4th book was coming out and had decided to wait...alas years later the book still seems to be coming (maybe? where you at Martin and Rothfuss?) and I've decided that I can't wait any longer and am just going to start it :p

Maark Abbott

What do you then do with your life now?
I'm still writing, I just have no desire at all to read. I don't know, probably just burned out. Doesn't help that what I'm reading at present is massively hyped but not in actuality anywhere near as good as the hype would have one believe. I'll probably just stick to manga and lewd gacha games for a bit. Swiggity swefiya gimme a +5 MLB Lefiya.

Travis

Killed a Balrog
Quick update on Lies of Locke Lamora: I'm only 163 pages in (of my 700 mass market copy) but I just wanted to give my thoughts so far. The prologue didn't exactly grab me, but the book has still drawn me in quickly. Once I started seeing snippets of the Don Salvara game and it jumping back and forth between characters and time (ie. starting the "game", going back and seeing preparations, etc.) I was completely hooked. The part I just read just blew my mind and is already solidifying this as a favorite of mine:

Locke and Calo dressing up as Midnighters and telling Don Salvara that Lukas Fehrwright is a thief - that whole reveal was just fantastic.

Holy balls. I'm sure this is just a tiny portion of what's to come but wow I'm stunned and hungry for more.

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
I quit after book one in series one. Several events seemed pointless and the ending felt rushed/thrown together in the scheme of things. Too depressing throughout. Obviously, a minority viewpoint. Regardless, you gave a really informative summary. :)

The Fool was a tremendous character. Hobb’s story in an anthology about a stranded group was one of my favorite shorts ever.
Haha, I really enjoyed farseer trilogy, but it's definitely a bummer of a story. It only gets more depressing in the 2nd and 3rd books. You should check out Liveship Traders, though. It's the best series in her farseer universe and can stand on it's own feet as a stand alone trilogy.

Last edited:

Ryan W. Mueller

I've actually stopped reading. I just have no desire to do it at all at the moment.
I know just what would cure that.

A reread of The Way of Kings. ;)

Laurentius

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally summer!

I just finished the newest Alex Verus book, Marked. A little lackluster compared to the previous book, but I'll take it. When you cant get any Dresden Files, atleast there's other stuff in a similar vein, of a decent quality. If you like the Alex Verus series, Marked is not a bad book.

Now I need to figure out what to read next. Been thinking og diving into the Glass Magician.

Happy summerholidays!

Darth Tater

Finally summer!

I just finished the newest Alex Verus book, Marked. A little lackluster compared to the previous book, but I'll take it. When you cant get any Dresden Files, atleast there's other stuff in a similar vein, of a decent quality. If you like the Alex Verus series, Marked is not a bad book.

Now I need to figure out what to read next. Been thinking og diving into the Glass Magician.

Happy summerholidays!

If you loved Dresden, I recommend you check out the Bobby Dollar trilogy by Tad Williams. It’s very similar in some ways but a cool variations. Like Dresden, narrated entirely from the protagonists POV. Imagine a Dresden like character as an angel...

Personally, I liked this beter than the Dresden
books. The plot is more complex. Underrated IMO, but then again I feel that way about most Tad Williams books so I’m biased.

Maark Abbott