It's June 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I recommend the three prequel books by Esllemont instead, kenubrion. Have you read those already? Forge of Darkness is a bit of a different style (similar to the difference between LOTR and the Silmarillion).
Yes, I read the prequel trilogy just before taking up this series again last month at Stonewielder after having read Night of Knives and Return some years ago. I just decided as I wrote this to reread Return of the Crimson Guard as the remaining four books refer heavily to the apparently momentous events in Return, none of which I recall. The excellence of the prequel led me back to the series.

I think I have liked Esslemont's writing over Erikson's at this point. Silvion, is Forge of Darkness a can't put it down book? A CPIDB?

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

Does Clara's character get better in the Dagger and the Coin? Ugh. Whenever her chapter comes up my desire for reading drops. I like her character in many ways but so little happens with her it feels like I could just skip most of her stuff. Just starting on book 4 of 5 and I really hope it picks up for her. She killed me in book 3.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Yes, I read the prequel trilogy just before taking up this series again last month at Stonewielder after having read Night of Knives and Return some years ago. I just decided as I wrote this to reread Return of the Crimson Guard as the remaining four books refer heavily to the apparently momentous events in Return, none of which I recall. The excellence of the prequel led me back to the series.

I think I have liked Esslemont's writing over Erikson's at this point. Silvion, is Forge of Darkness a can't put it down book? A CPIDB?
To be frank... I actually did put it down after a hundred pages or so. It's not that it is bad by any means (it's very good actually), but it is quite heavy. I was in need for some lighter reading and I haven't picked it up since (now reading a big sci-fi series).

It definitely is a big change from the Esslemont books, which are faster paced page-turners (especially the prequel books and the latter Malazan Empire books).

kenubrion

To be frank... I actually did put it down after a hundred pages or so. It's not that it is bad by any means (it's very good actually), but it is quite heavy. I was in need for some lighter reading and I haven't picked it up since (now reading a big sci-fi series).

It definitely is a big change from the Esslemont books, which are faster paced page-turners (especially the prequel books and the latter Malazan Empire books).
Thanks Silvion. I'm glad I got forge on sale then. I am finding Assail to be the fastest paced and action packed of all the series' books. Very entertaining. I bought Return of the Crimson Guard as I cannot recall anything about it and I don't want to quit this series. I wonder if Esslemont might write a fourth prequel book since some storylines were not resolved. I hope so.

kenubrion

I finished Assail and what a great book it is. So much happens and so much is finally revealed. It was like the previous five books in one. Very highly recommended. I'm going to try The Gutter Prayer now. I have high hopes for this debut by Gareth Hanrahan.

ExTended

Just finished Last Bastion by Rachel Aaron and her husband.

I feel disgusted by myself for having endured that book from start to finish. I cannot really decide which of the characters is more bizzarely badly written, the plot is a joke, the politics obvious, and unless the message is that only morons plays MMOs, the book fails on having a message as well. I've never hated myself so much for torturing my brain with a book I don't like, and I've read Queen of Fire and The Last Mortal Bond, so I have some experience with disrespectfully bad books in the past. I swear - I've know children books that aren't so childish and ridiculous...-1/10

This book almost killed my interest in the LitRPG genre for good and I like those books as recreational reads. If Awaken Online: Dominion betrays me as well, I'm officially quitting LitRPG.

On another note I'm 10 hours away from finishing Malazan 3, I'm slowly but steadily making my way through Legion of Flame by Anthony Ryan, and then there are some re-read - Greatcoats 3, which is slowing me down, and Stormlight 1 which is my safe place from all that Rachel Aaron non-sense.

I must say - there's something profoundly realistic in Malazan, I don't feel like reading a book half the time. Even the over-the-top moments are now becoming awesome part of the experience.

kenubrion

Finished The Gutter Prayer last night. It's an urban fantasy in a world where humans and other sentient life forms exist with gods who war against each other and select saints from the population to act as their agents. One such is our heroine who with two other thieves becomes enmeshed in a fight for control of the major city of the world. A Godswar rages in other countries and we don't enter into it in this book but obviously will in succeeding novels.

Magic is the major currency in this world which otherwise is an urban setting in an early 20th century civilization. The action is continuous and very bloody. Control over the centuries has been shared by one god-worshipping group after another and this story is the current battle between the haves and the have nots. The characters are developed to the needs of the story and only the starring cast is closely examined.

I read this in two days and I haven't read that fast for some time, but it's a page turner and the writer is skilled in making the tale seem to flow downhill and pick up speed continuously. His prose is very good and there was never a skimming portion of the story. A lot happens.

I am not a fan of urban fantasy but this was a good and fast read.

I'm on to Return of the Crimson Guard which I read when it came out and I don't remember anything. I am still in the Malazan frame of mind. I will alternate it with The New Achilles by Christian Cameron, the first of a planned new trilogy.

Last edited:

Hand of Fear

@kenubrion Christian Cameron has popped up on my Amazon recommendations (I’m currently rewatching the TV series Spartacus) so probably the reason why I want to read similar things. Where do you suggest I start with his books ?

fbones24

Currently reading "The Liar's Key, book 2 of The Red Queen's War Trilogy." I finished the "Book of the Ancestor" which I loved more than Broken Empire. I'm definitely not enjoying The Red Queen's War as much as either of the other two but it's still great and I think Mark Lawrence has a way with making characters morph and develop right before your eyes. Red Queen's War is a 3.5 for me right now. The characters just aren't as interesting as the other two trilogies but I'm pretty sure he can pull a rabbit out of a hat and make that change.

kenubrion

@kenubrion Christian Cameron has popped up on my Amazon recommendations (I’m currently rewatching the TV series Spartacus) so probably the reason why I want to read similar things. Where do you suggest I start with his books ?
Hi Hand. Great to see you. I highly recommend his The Ill-Made Knight series, about a boy from England named William Gold who runs away to be with the knights in France. His development is a great story and full of the chivalry knowledge he is known for. As the series progresses, all the actual major actions of the 14th century play out and William Gold's part in them gives a personal view to it all. All of Cameron's major works (Tyrant, Killer of Men, the Tom Swan series and more) are wonderful.