It's March 2017. What fantasy book(s) are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

2. Darth Tater

Completed The Last Colony. Book 3 of Old Mans War. M It connected more dots. It was an ending of sorts but he decided to return to that workd and write 3 more later which I also own (from the Deal). This is a super fun series.

Disclaimer: Again, it isn't anything deep but a great book for airplanes (or "tweener") from start to finish.

One glaring weakness that I just noticced and now it drives me crazy. No exaggeration here:

You have pretty eyes, I said.
    Thank you, she said. I was born with them.
    Well, In that case thanks to your mom, I said.
    Yeah, she agreed.
    So what do we do about the CFD policy, I asked.
    No idea, she said.
    Same here, I said.

The sentences are USUALLY longer but it is obvious who is talking and in some cases when it is not make it clearer without the "I said she said" cop outs. Yeah, it is THAT bad *bangs head against brick wall* Otherwise no complaints and enjoying it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Darth Tater

The Blood Mirror. It seems like so many series drop down a notch or two after one or two books so it is refreshing that this series keeps improving (IMO). I just started book 4 today so I'm only 140 pages in. My teeth hurt from clenching them all day. Stressful!!

4. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

@Darth Tater I have the same thoughts on the series as you do. Have book 4 right here and really want to start it but unfortunately I have too much studying to do atm:(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Darth Tater

IMO, It keeps getting better. Seriously, I'm having trouble putting it down. Even to type this, but I needed a breather. So many twists and revelations. But I sacrificed a lot to study too. That trumped everything. And I do mean EVERYTHING! It will be there for you later. Best of luck with your studies. Will be interested in knowing your thoughts after you reas it!

After book 1: *Hmmm...yeah, what the heck, I guess I'll read book 2. It's overhyped, though IMO.*

After book 2: *Yeah I'm glad I continued reading. Still wonder why people like it so much. Definitely reading book 2.

After book 3: * Damn. I wasn't expecting all those twists. This is getting really good. Not overhyped. I now see why people like it so much. This is really good. Don't love it though*

27% through book 4. Wow. I'm really into this. Every chapter is keeping me hooked and it is exciting. Not sure why but I still don't "love" it. Totally enjoying it, however. Already sad book 5 probably won't be out for at least a year from now.*

As an unrelated side I have a question for anyone. (IIRC that means you @TomTB ...no pressure though :p... the Old Man Series (Scalzi). The blatant seemingly contradiction really bothers me. This is a spoiler, anyone, unless you've read through book 3. Tht's where I left off.​

At the end of book one John Perry clearly states "I never saw Jane Sagan again". (Or something close. Maybe it was "her"? But in book 3 they are together throughout. It seems like a big contradiction unless the loophole is that Janes body is new when he eventualy sees her? But Scalzi never addresses it if so. Did anyone else catch that? It was a really big deal. What do you think? Did Scalzi change his mind and blow it off? .o.

6. Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I've started reading The High King's Vengeance, by Steven Poore. It's the sequel to his The Heir to the North (which I'd recommend to anyone looking for something in the epic quest tradition) and so far looks like it is going to be just as exciting and well-written.

7. PlatitudeDude

PlatitudeDude Helped Logen count his fingers

Recently finished reading White Knight of the Dresden Files series and it was great! I've not yet been disappointed in any book in this series and I hope it stays that way. I will say that I could do without the repeated explanations of the same things over and over in each book, but it's not really much of a bother. Anyway, I've put the Dresden Files on the eshelf for now and have been reading the Riyria Revelations. I'm 60 percent into volume two and I can definitely say I'm enjoying it. Pretty predictable, but well written I would say. All of the main POVs keep my interest and I find most of the characters entertaining, so that's good. Perfect for someone looking for a sort of classic fantasy style story.

8. Kevin O Donoghue

Kevin O Donoghue Stood on the wall with Druss

Just finished Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams. I thought it was excellent. It really grabbed my attention and I found found it very hard to put down until I had the series completed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Great isn't it. A top notch set of characters each of which stand out on their own merit. This is one I'll definitely reread just before Tad is finished with the follow up series..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Got in a fistfight with Dresden

It's not only an excellent series, but in my experience one that well repays re-reading.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Just finished a reread fantastic lights terry Pratchett. A great continuation of the first book. A continued great parody. I am so glad he dropped the first Conan parody (hrun) for this second (cohen) it's sooo much better.

In general I'd say this is a far superior book than the first. The plot is better, the jokes are better the characters are better. My favorite parts are all dealing with the higher up wizards. The part I hated most was the druid rock computer. I already know he gets better than this, so I can't wait.

7/10

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Posted this in the wrong thread earlier,

Just finished Color of Magic s(again) so I can review.

It's rough, or at least it is when compared with the later books, which were much more refined cleaned up or evolved. That's not to say it's bad, it's just bumpy. There's a lot of bad cut scenes and awkward segways. But I still loved it.

I think it could be said that people could jump in and like this book without reading a single fantasy novel beforehand, much like one could love Blazing Saddles without watching the westerns it mocks. ("Badges we don't need no stinking badges" comes from Treasure in the Sierra Madre, but we don't need to know that too laugh) but as someone who has read all these fantasy book Pratchett parodies, I think brings more to the content and let's me laugh harder (when the black runed multidimensional sword crosses from a Michael moorcock parody, to eight different medieval legends at once ( most notably the Excalibur reference) I laugh audibly)

I liked it , but the movie better. Most of what needed to be cut from the film, was. Some of what was cut couldn't have been done properly without ruining the tempo of the movie (the dnd parody scenes)

6/10

• Like Like x 1
  13. fbones24

fbones24 Journeyed there and back again

So I'm reading The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams since I have owned it for a while and really never had the urge to start it. Finally had nothing else calling me. Now, I have read all of the reviews that it starts slow and suddenly becomes a page turner. I didn't find the beginning of the novel slow at all. Shades of Assassins Apprentice kept me interested. However, now I am at the 40% mark and little has happened in this novel. That is not a big deal for me usually if something else holds me like strong characters, elegant writing or an interesting world but I'm not sure there is any of that here.....yet. Simon is just bleh. He's not that interesting. I'm hoping that changes.

So, for anyone who has read this, is it worth sticking with? At what point does this story "take off?"

14. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm finally starting the Iron Druid after getting it on sale a while back. I had started Twelve Kings of Sharakhai but the beginning threw me off. Going straight from the fight to the bed is not a good sign. Has anyone read this book?

15. kenubrion

bones, I'm among those who think it's long and tedious yet I read all three books one after another. It certainly does have all the quality aspects you mention but the lack of action continues except for brief scuffles, although each book does have significant action toward the end. Well worth your time. It's his best known work and he's a big talent. I still think he's got much better stuff waiting to be written in him and if he ups the action, I'll be very happy.

16. fbones24

fbones24 Journeyed there and back again

Well, I much prefer strong characterization and story telling to action. I don't need bloody sword fights at every turn. In fact, that typically turns me off. On the other hand, if I'm not connecting with characters and invested in their journey, I need something. I will stick with it and see where it goes but at this point, I don't see continuing with this series after book 1.....again.....yet.

17. Elvira

Elvira Became a Faceless Man

We have been discussing Scalzi's OMW over in BSFF and for some members the best books are the final three instalments. I will read Ghost Brigades hopefully soon.

Ouch...!:yuck:

18. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

So @TomTB have you finished Clash of Iron yet?

What do you think about Dug getting killed at the end? I tended to like his scenes more than the other characters so I am not sure how I will feel about book 3...

19. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Not yet SB ... I'm going through a slow reading phase at the mo, I'm only really getting through 20 or so pages a day. Not a reflection of my enjoyment, just one of those things. I'm about 35% in.

20. kenubrion

Duplicate post.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017 at 2:21 PM