It's March 2017. What fantasy book(s) are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Mar 1, 2017.

1. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Surgebinds with Szeth-son-son-Vallano

And I think in book 6 Jordan names a minor male character Jen! There are enough names to keep track of without assigning a girl name to a man.

And with the Tar Valon tower, rebel tower, Black Ajah and now the Kin/never been Aes Sedai group there are too many to remember which group they belong to lol.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking? But everything DOES tie together if that's what you mean.

3. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Do not despair - the last three books shouldn't take you more than a week. :) 10 and 11 are somewhat nicer too.

You still have 8 and 9 before any of those awesomenesses, but since you've already gone through 7, chances are one day or another you are joining our WoT bandwagon. :p We are not the fastest of bandwagons, I will give you that, but at least joining once means joining for life. :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. afa

afa Journeyed there and back again

I had finished Barrayar a while back. It was fine. Nothing great, to be honest, but I don't think it was supposed to be one of the better books in the series, anyway.

Started the audiobook of Seveneves by Neal Stephenson several days ago, and I'm about 39% through it. It's decent enough; not too bad a listen, as far as astrophysics textbooks go...

5. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I have a possibly irrational dislike of authors using male names for girls and vice versa. Just throws me unnecessarily.

In The Dragon's Path, the book starts with 4 different characters in 3 different places (not to mention a completely unrelated prologue), none of whom know each other - that's the sort of thing I mean. Books that start with multiple plot strands and sets of characters.

I think I'm swearing off of books that start like that. The likelihood of there being a group I really don't care for is good; the likelihood of there not being enough focus on any one set of characters for me to get my teeth into them even higher. I'm not a patient reader; these are the slowest of starts for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I'm reading Otherworld, by Emma Jane and Liz Powell. It's obviously one of those books that throws you right into the action without much in the way of explanation. Pretty harrowing so far.

7. ExTended

I have finished The Lightbringer book 4 at last. I've delayed to start on it for some reason, probably the mixed reviews the book has gotten since its release.

The thing I have found for myself, however, is that an average book by Brent Weeks is still better than many a great books from less capable writers. He is certainly in the club of authors who are so ahead from the rest of the crowd, that they average is still quite good, considering.

About the book itself... I've liked it. Quite a lot, actually. It kept me interested in what's going to happen pretty much all the way from start to finish - some of that was certainly due to his clever use of POV switches in cliff-hangy moments, but I like it when an author is clever enough to use his story strenghts to his advantage.

The characterisation was great, as usual, with a few firgivable exceptions. And hands down for one of the best antagonists in modern fantasy with Andros Gael( I might be miss-speling him, due to the fact that I've read the audiobooks). He is one of my favorite characters in the seires - I love it when an author could make the readers to both love and hate a character in equal amounts.

The wodlbuilding and the complexity of the plot/story in this series are also top notch.

A few notable things that I didn't enjoy as much. First - while the prison scenes were exquisite, as usual, I find it disturbind that in each one of his books we are subjected to a very disturbing prison + madness scenes. Hopefully if he write4s a third fantasy series, he will tone down this side of his artistry. I like it, a lot, but I don't feel great for liking it, if that makes sense.

About the romance angsts with Kip and his lady wife... Man was that awkward. Same as the prison thing - it's admirable that he have the guts to go there, but he kind of over-did it too. And the author note at the end that would guilt peer pressure you into not complaining about it was a bit strange too.

Third - it was an obvious sequel book preparing the scenery for the final show-down. As such the book has done a great job, in my opinion, but it had its flaws, and adding that to the fact how hard it is for good set-uping books to be pulled off - he could've done just a slightly better job on segwaying less during some parts of the book.

Still - I'd give it a solid 8/10 score for what it is. He have managed to keep most of the good parts about the series going on for this book, and compared to things like Mistborn 2 and aSoIaF 4-5 he doesn'tdrop the ball, so in my opinion 8/10 is a fair score for this book.

8. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

I'm partway through book 3 of Lightbringer and just found out that Kip gets married at some stage so that's something, I guess.

I don't know if I'd describe the plot as overly complex just yet, but then again I'm only up to the stage where the Colour Prince is frowning at everyone really and that makes Corneria very scared, presumably Andross is from Venom, scramble all Arwings etc etc etc.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I'd hardly say Sanderson and GRRM "dropped the ball" like you said. I liked Mistborn 2 and ASOIAF 5 (wasn't too enthusiastic about ASOIAF 4, but I didn't think it was bad by any means).

10. ExTended

It's mostly that we have different definitions of dripping the ball I think.

For me it means the cases where the previous books set high expectations, which the ball dropping book doesn't meet and it also requires a great amount of effort and forgivenet from the reader in order for him/her to get through the book. It's more a question of how much the author have lowered the quality, instead of what the final quality is, actually.

11. Silvion Night

So it's about perceptions? This is a difficult conundrum though. Would you say Jordan dropped the ball in WoT books 6 through 9? I remember being disappointed by these books, because they weren't as interesting, action-packed and fast-paced as the earlier (and later books). I wouldn't say Jordan dropped the ball though.

Anyways, I agree this is highly subjective.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I think each book gets better then the next and liked this one a lot.

1. I didn't find the prison scenes disturbing but got bored with them.

2. Agree the romance part was overdone but I didn't find it awkward in the least. But boring.?Gotta admire his balls though. Maybe his "friend" was his wife. You know..." my friend has this problem". I don't think he goes there if it wasn't closer to home.

3. Yeah. On setting up for a sequel. Too much. Nothing got resolved except
    the sex.
    Big deal.

4. Agree on Andross but I don't hate and like (not love) love him in equal amounts. For me it's more like 80/20 respectively.

13. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I was more in this camp, too, myself.

14. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Now this makes me think of something and it's bugging me that I can't work out what it's making me think of. Silv? Ryan? Little help here please?

15. Silvion Night

Are you referring to the Bible? I agree; significantly less ass-kicking and hellfire in the New Testament. A shame really.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

I concede that it may be irrational - but I agree, VERY strongly!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Peat

He certainly dropped the ball for some. A better metaphor might be he started using a different type of ball for 6-9.

Arguably with Path of Daggers, he lost the ball under the couch...

18. Peat

Anyway, I just re-read Ravenheart, and its the greatest book ever and I pity the fool that disagrees.

19. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

It's not just authors. A chap I went to school with had Mary as a middle name. I imagine his parents either really wanted a girl, or just didn't like him very much ..

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Peat

Working that our at the cradle - that's the sort of forwards planning we don't see enough of parents today!

Possible it was a maternal surname somewhere in his family history - plenty enough of those.