It's March 2017. What fantasy book(s) are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

In the Netherlands we've got this thing where parents just stick with a name, no matter what gender the child turns out to be when born. For example: the male names Roel, Kees and Klaas get turned into Roeltje, Keesje and Klaasje. The 'tje' or 'je' addendum is used to make the names diminutive. In essence the names now say 'Little Roel', 'Little Kees' and 'Little Klaas' (come to think of it, those are some cool rapper names). It's ridiculous really. Roeltje is a good friend of mine and she has always hated her name. Got teased at school and now that she's an adult she's always 1-0 behind when she sends in an application or something.

It also goes the other way round of course. A guy I know is named Kim (which is exclusively a female name here in the Netherlands, unlike in Finland for example where this is a male name). You won't believe what he had to go through at school.

In summary: parents, if you love your kid, please for the love of Peat give it a normal name. And no, Gaylord is not considered to be a normal name either.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

In my country, Bulgaria, we don't have that problem most of the times, because it's a custom for a babe to has three names - First name( whatever you like, but in many cases the name of one of the grandparents, and we don't really have unisex names, so the parents cannot mess that much there either), then comes the middle name, which in like 99% is the name of the father, so if you father is called Ivan, you Middle name is Ivanov( +ov for a boy), or Ivanova( +ova for a girl), and the Family name which is again gendernised( patent pending) - if your Family name is Asen, it's Asenov( +ov) for a boy, and Asenova( +ova) for a girl.

So you a fool proof way of naming your child and very little room to fuck up. And even if you name a boy with a girls name, his Middle and Family name would still tell his gender to a stranger. We also call the Middle name Fathers name here.

The only really bizzaree name I know of in our country is some guy from one of the northern provinces who went to court and renamed himself Manchester United. So no matter how well the parents do with naming their child, there will always will be that one idiot who'd ruin their perfect work. :D

3. Silvion Night

Yes, everyone knows that Manchester City is the superior Football Club. :p

4. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Ugh..

(Tangent time)

I must say I have no love for name generation from Holland. I do a lot of genealogy and have two lines that go into Holland. One a soldier in New Amsterdam ( now New york) and the otherfleeing the Spanish inquisition to England and dropping the 'van' off their name to avoid racist prejudices of the time.

Both lines stop abruptly in Holland because I can't make heads or tales of it, that plus at the times it was fashionable to use one of four different naming schemes, the most hair pulling one having the first name made of 4 parts, from for relatives, and the last name the same, but different relatives.

I have long since given up and just say (dutch, that's all) acting like it's like my dead dead Prussian branches wherein their records were bombed out of existence in Ww2 (or at least the records we would need)

5. Silvion Night

What in particular threw you off? And what are the names, I might be able to give you some pointers. Dutch name generation is actually quite easy.

6. Bierschneeman

That might be helpful, I'm off to work, but as soon as I can look it up.

I know van choate is one that's easier researched but gets tangled up in bad French escapee theories

7. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Oh yeah, we have that too. Roberta and so on. I think it goes on in most countries.

Then of course there's the classics like Drew Peacock and Mike Hunt. Or anyone with the surname Anker and a first name beginning with W. Parents really don't think these things through... then again, my family tree is riddled with slang synonyms for penis, which is possibly a little boastful when the family name is Long.

8. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Neatly sidestepped.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

Poor bastard!
    I reckon I did badly enough to get 'Leslie' as a middle name - at least its a name that can swing either way, depending how you spell it.
    I was actually more disturbed when I discovered that I had been named after a vicar.

10. Nuomer1

Nuomer1 A Poet of the Khaiem

Ova for a girl! How very appropriate! :)

11. Tanniel

Tanniel Became a Faceless Man

I never thought about how wrong names could go; here, all names have to be approved by the Church (because they record all births and deaths - for a highly secularised society, we have some oddities left over), and there aren't really unisex names in Danish either, so mishaps never happen.

My father told me a story of how there once was a problem with this, though. Kim is used exclusively as a male name in Danish, but there was an influx of Koreans (after the Korean war, I'm guessing) who brought along daughters named Kim, making this one of the few unisex names we do have. However, the authorities didn't consider this, meaning as these Korean Kims became citizens and reached adulthood, they were sent letters to report for conscription to the army!

Later on a database was created with social security numbers, where the numbering code shows gender, thus solving the problem.

12. Bierschneeman

Found it, Jan W De Duitscher son of Willem Janszen who was born in Holland and served in the initial colony.

Every time I try looking him up I found something like five separate last name possibilities none of which were anything that resembled any of the names I have.

I had given up three times.

(Sorry it took so long to look up, I have over 5000 names in the tree.)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  13. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Ran bridges next to Kaladin

In Lithuanian there're no gender neutral names. Female names end in -a or -ė and male names end in -s. What's interesting, though, is that aside from foreign names (like mine - Andrius), there're practically no names you can use for both genders by slightly changing them (like it's possible with Andrew - Andrea, for example). Most names come from either mythology or ancient history and have very clear semantic meanings and can't be, or rather, don't sound natural if, changed. Names of historical or mythological heroes and dukes (we only had 1 official king, issues with christianity and all :confused:) are popuar among men (Mindaugas, Gediminas, Daugirdas, Kęstutis) and names of various godesses and mythological creatures are common among women (Aušra, Gabija, Laima). There're some names like Kunigunda, which literally means the seducer of priests, but they aren't used anymore, maybe for the better. :D And, I'm not sure how common this is, female surnames differ according to their marital status.

14. Vasher

Vasher Helped Logen count his fingers

My girlfriend finally wore me down and got me to read Harry Potter this year, so I just finished the sixth book last night and started the seventh today. The first two books are terrible. The third is mediocre. They're actually quite consistently good after that, though. Not the greatest thing I've ever read by any stretch, but surprisingly enjoyable page-turners. Rowling is very good at making you hate who you're supposed to hate and like who you're supposed to like. Other than that, I've been chewing through a collection of Jorge Luis Borge's short stories. Not fantasy in the traditional sense, but certainly fantastical and strange. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite authors.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Silvion Night

I wonder how that will change though the coming years. In the Netherlands gender doesn't have to be put on the passport anymore, as there are people that identify with neither 'traditional' gender.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

:finger:
    That's incorrect. The Netherlands have not been neutral since World War II. YOU of all people should know THAT!! :wacky:

17. Silvion Night

Prior to the Napoleontic era the naming conventions in the Netherlands were quite similar to the one still current in for example Iceland;

If your dad was named Willem, and your first name was Jan, then your name would be: Jan Willemszoon (Jan Willem's son - or Jan the son of Willem), similar to how in Iceland you then would be called Jan Willemsson (or if you were a girl named Johanna you'd be Johanna Willemsdotr).

As there was only a limited number of names available (remember, people were very devout back then and almost all names were based on names from the Bible, the apostles of Jesus being the most popular) you can imagine there was a large overlap of names. Add to this the propensity of dads naming their children after themselves (Jan Janszoon Senior and Jan Janszoon Junior) and you can imagine the chaos this would entail for the Medieval mailman. :)

For this reason they often added a unique characteristic to the name. For example: Jan Willemszoon de Boer (Jan Willem's son the Farmer) or Kees Laurentszoon de Visser (Kees Laurent's son the Fisherman).

This also happened with your guy Jan W De Duitscher. The W refers to his dad. It's a shortened version of Willemszoon. This occasionally happened (W always stood for Willemszoon. L always refered to Laurentszoon). 'De Duitscher' means 'the German'. This can indicate that the person was from Germany (which is not likely, as he was born in Holland as you say), but it can also mean he had another connection with Germany. Perhaps he used to work there? Or fight there in one of the wars?

Your note about "served in the initial colony" refers to Jan being a soldier/marine who was stationed at New Amsterdam, which was our initial colony in North America (later traded for Surinam. Smart move...).

Anyways: do you have an approximate year of his service in New Amsterdam? The records of the navy and army of Holland should be available, as they were kept quite meticulously. This might help you track the person back to his father (upon enlistment I believe the parent's names were also recorded, as were their professions and place of residence).

18. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Surgebinds with Szeth-son-son-Vallano

No worries in North America. People try to create unique names by pulling combinations out of a hat. Nobody wants to use a standard name anymore. So they use fruit like "Apple". What a great name! Or weather seasons. "Spring or Fall"! Or directions like "West or North!" My own buddy created his two daughters names by combining countries or something. Kysia and Malasia (spelling unknown).

I myself gave my kids middle names that corresponded to their grandparents first name (my son got my Dad's first name and my daughter got my wife's mom's first name). But their first names were based off names we liked watching TV shows lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Diziet Sma

Diziet Sma Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Love Borges, in particular, The Aleph.

In Spanish speaking countries, María is a common male middle name as well as a surname. I have an uncle called José María.
    We also have two surnames, the first comes from the father and second from the mother. When a woman marries, she maintains her maiden name and doesn’t adopt the husbands. My other half gets often called by my surname: lucky him!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  20. Bierschneeman

Taking this to pm

• Agree Agree x 1