It's March 2017. What fantasy book(s) are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Silvion Night, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

No problem!

Just concentrate on Mat Cauthon, he's the more interesting character anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Peat

Peat Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I have actually done a re-read of WoT reading chapters solely with Mat and its a lot of fun.

3. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Surgebinds with Szeth-son-son-Vallano

He's MIA for book 8 so far. I hope he shows up soon.

4. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

He doesn't, but in 9 you get the opening to his best plotline (imo), which plays out mostly in book 10. You're approaching a very good part of Mat's story, imo

• Like Like x 1
  5. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Surgebinds with Szeth-son-son-Vallano

Kind of figured I might not see him since I'm at 75% done and still nothing. I am looking forward to the Nine Moons vision that Min had of him.

6. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

All this is really making me want to head back to WoT for a re-read. Took me 5 years first time round, so a little bit of a daunting thought if I'm being honest ...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

I did a re-read last year and it was incredibly enjoyable. I did a couple of the books on audiobook near the end. I'm thinking about another round, tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TomTB

Was the narrator ok? I'd be guaranteed to finish the books quicker, but I much (much) prefer kindle to audible.

9. JHBSmith

JHBSmith Stood on the wall with Druss

It's done by Kate Reading and Michael Kramer, so it's pretty good. They're both good on their own, but having two narrators is a big plus, I'd say. Wish more books could afford to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TomTB

Is that for every book in the series?

Edit: Kate Reading was clearly born to be a narrator lol

11. JHBSmith

JHBSmith Stood on the wall with Druss

Yes it is, and as an aside, Brandon Sanderson got them back for much of his stuff - Stormlight Archive is again both of them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TomTB

Awesome. I much prefer continuity in narrator(s), I may go down the audio route in that case!

13. Peat

Peat Ran bridges next to Kaladin

As Darwin says, you have some good shiznit ahead of you there.

Incidentally, here's Jordan's own words on why Mat's not that book (since I just stumbled across them) -

"The man had a building fall on top of him. A building! Frankly, I didn’t think Mat lying in bed in splints and bandages was very interesting."

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

The comment is pretty funny but how much time passed in the book before Mat returned? Not as much time as had passed in our world that it took him to write that book. So Mat may have recovered in a week or 4-5 months (I don't remember the period of time from the book), When he enphasised "a building", It implies Mat wasn't grazed by a brick. Tons of building landed on him. Did a powerful yellow Aes Sedai heal him? I can't remember but he should have been long dead before they got there. I forgot the actual circumstances. Only the falling building. Hey, I really enjoyed the series despite the weaknesses like Deus ex machina. All good guy characters avoided dearh every time.

until the last book wherehis notes have Sanderson kill a boatload...why not?
    I thought that ^ was dumb.

Rand bored me, I liked Perrin a lot then ran lukewarm, hated Faile, liked Berelain, loved Bashere, didn't like mat but later he was my favorite, loved Moiraine, Sian, and Gareth, hated the bad reds (all but one), the Aiel and Elaine bored me, The Seancean and the bowl were filler, Aviendah grew on me, Loved Cadsuane, loved Nyneave and Lan but that finally grew old, (was Padan Fain Jordan's closest character to gollum?), Min not so much, liked lanfear, Loial and Verrin, didn't really like Mat early but loved him later...so funny, Loved Thom Merrilin. There are about 1,589 I forgot and most not worth mentioning anyhow. Anyhow, I bet we all have some big differences on most of these.

Compare that to Tolkien's cast. Who can you forget? We even renember useless Tom Bombadil. Remembered only for his lack of importance to the plot. Then again, the only poetry I remember at all is the tale of the ring to rule them all (was that poetry?)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

For once Tom is right about this ! ☺

• Like Like x 1
  16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I consider it a dark urban fantasy. I love the fantasy but generally not crazy about dark and urban. I really didn't care for the storyline. So I did not like the book. Since I don't and Tom and you really do, in all likelihood alucard will LOVE it! :D

• Agree Agree x 1