It's March 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

stenney

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I really enjoyed Dawn of Wonder. I've also loved pretty much everything by Michael J. Sullivan. Senlin Ascends was great. I was a bit disappointed in Queen of Fire by Ryan, but I loved the first two books of the series. I still need to read his Draconis Memoriae series (I hope I spelled that right).

I'll have to look into Awaken Online. I've enjoyed Rick Scott's Dodge Tank and Phil Tucker's Euphoria Online trilogy in the LitRPG realm.
i also enjoyed Dawn of Wonder, and really enjoyed both Anthony Ryan series. The Draconis series is similar to his first trilogy, in that i liked the first 2 a bit better then the last, but overall, both are very good reads.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I recall that Ben wrote about being hired to review Dawn of Wonder and he gave it a negative review. I bought it long ago and have not gotten to it yet.

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
I finally finished Deadly Quicksilver Lies last week or so. It only took me 2 months. lol I just haven't really been reading. I built a new PC so I've been gaming on that and then I've been binge watching some tv shows. (finally got around to watch Stranger Things, watched Santa Clarita Diet, and currently watching binge watching Into the Badlands) I'm starting to get back into wanting to read more again. I usually go through phases like this. Last summer I barely read, but then in the later months of last year I was reading like a madman. I kind of needed this break after I finished Codex Alera. I've now started Cook's Dread Empire - An Empire Unacquainted With Defeat. It's the last work in the Dread Empire I need to finish so I thought I'd knock it out.

ReguIa

A week and a half in and I just finished the 5th Iron Druid book and so far every book has been a blast. Just perfect as some light reading if you tire of the big epics or just want to try something different. With the exception of book 4 they've all been fantastic. I'd rate them 4 stars with #4 maybe 3.5 stars.

ReguIa

Iron Druid #6 finished. First one getting a 3 star rating. It was still solid and just as fun as ever, however the one issue I have is that the books have gotten to the point that they're just a smaller part of the bigger story. The first 4 in particular were more self contained and as such always had a satisfying beginning, middle and end.

That doesn't mean I like it less, I love a good build up and an expanding world. The series as a whole has gotten better because of this but individually this one's a step below the rest just because it doesn't really have a conclusion.

Cyphon

I've finished my Night Angel trilogy re-read. It's shapes out to be one of my yearly re-read series alongside Stormlight, Riyria and The Kingkiller Chronicles. Unlike the latter three it's not one of my favorites or even close to them, but it's the best less known series out there, or one of the best. I'd say that as far as Brent Weeks' books go, The Night Angel trilogy has a much nicer pacing than The Lightbringer series, and each book in the trilogy is very strong in terms of consistent quality, unlike his latest series where the 3rd and the 4th book could've been easily condensed into a single entry.
Night Angel is definitely an overlooked series and it seems often times quickly written off as "Lightbringer is better" when talking about Weeks books to date. I honestly love both and think Night Angel holds up just fine when compared to Lightbringer. As you say, book 4 particularly for me was a weakpoint in the Lightbringer series and the only one I came out of not all that excited to have a read. All 3 of the NA books were up to par.

All that said, I can't wait for book 5. Between the 2 series Weeks catapulted himself right to the top of my favorite authors list. Can't think of many where I would be as excited for a new book.

Been in a reading slump for a while so to get into it again I gave the Iron Druid series a try. I think I added it to my list when @Alucard mentioned it way, way back. I got 200 pages in before I took a break when I got my hands on Tiamat's Wrath almost 2 weeks early. I finished that one in only 2 days. That has to be a personal record for me. But yea Iron Druid is looking good so far, quite similar to Dresden Files which is a big plus for me.
Have you read the Alex Verus books by Benedict Jacka?

I'm reading Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castelle. I've been in a bad book rut and this one is actually quite good.
Have you read the Greatcoats series? If so how do these compare quality wise? I really liked the Greatcoats stuff.

mizztara71

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
Night Angel is definitely an overlooked series and it seems often times quickly written off as "Lightbringer is better" when talking about Weeks books to date. I honestly love both and think Night Angel holds up just fine when compared to Lightbringer. As you say, book 4 particularly for me was a weakpoint in the Lightbringer series and the only one I came out of not all that excited to have a read. All 3 of the NA books were up to par.

All that said, I can't wait for book 5. Between the 2 series Weeks catapulted himself right to the top of my favorite authors list. Can't think of many where I would be as excited for a new book.

Have you read the Greatcoats series? If so how do these compare quality wise? I really liked the Greatcoats stuff.
The Greatcoats is better but Spellslinger is very well written and quick paced. It has interesting characters but it leans more toward the YA genre to me, but I really enjoyed it.

rudyjuly2

I have liked every book in Lightbringer, including #4. I do like Lightbringer better than Night Angel but I think it's largely because the main characters in Night Angel are darker with some being less likeable. Lightbringer sure has it's share of things like that but I think I liked the characters better in that series.

ExTended

Exactly! He sure is one of the most exciting new authors in terms of ideas and execution and he has that easy to rad style of writing( pacing) that hampers many other fantasy authors when it comes to writing their longer series.

And Andros Guile is one of my favorite grey/immoral characters alongside Geder from The Dagger and the Coin. Although Andros seems to be a more charismatic sort of villain - his portrayal in the audiobooks is nothing short of perfect.

Thanks for asking the Spellslinger questions - I was always wondering about that too. The Greatcoasts is easily in my top 10 fantasy series now, the humor is just too good for it not to be there. It's nice to hear that his other series has a good potential too. :)

ReguIa

@ExTended Andross is definitely one of the best things about Lightbringer. He's also one of my favorites.

I have not but I just looked it up and it sounds really interesting, thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably read something else on my list once I finish Iron Druid but this will fit perfectly when I'm in the mood for something shorter again.

Do you guys think The Burning White will provide a solid ending? There's a lot left to be explained in this one so I hope it doesn't feel rushed.

Cyphon

I have not but I just looked it up and it sounds really interesting, thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably read something else on my list once I finish Iron Druid but this will fit perfectly when I'm in the mood for something shorter again.

Do you guys think The Burning White will provide a solid ending? There's a lot left to be explained in this one so I hope it doesn't feel rushed.
I actually quoted the wrong post of yours but my point was going to end up being about page count. I noticed what you had said and the Verus series has each book no longer than 400 pages from what I remember and they are a breeze. Despite the lack of page count they never leave you wanting.

If you do end up enjoying it I would also suggest visiting his website

http://benedictjacka.co.uk/encyclopaedia/

He goes into greater detail about a lot of stuff from the series in the encyclopaedia section.

As for the Burning White I am expecting big things. I have read 7 books of his and only 1 let me down a little. He has taken a lot of time on this last one too so I expect him to hit all of the right notes.

ReguIa

As for the Burning White I am expecting big things. I have read 7 books of his and only 1 let me down a little. He has taken a lot of time on this last one too so I expect him to hit all of the right notes.
Me too. I actually really liked Blood Mirror. Black Prism is the one I think is just alright.
At first it was disappointing that DGavin had such a small part in it, but the more time I spent thinking about it after I'd finished it I like it more. Though it wasn't much his chapters were excellent. My one fear about the final book is that he won't play a major role. His is by far the most interesting.