It's March 2019: What sci-fi book are you reading?

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I'm reading Earth Unaware, the first book of the initial discovery of the alien Formics (latin for ants which they resemble) who are far in advance of humans in all ways and are a warring and conquering species, unfortunately. This is the prequel origin trilogy to Ender's Game which then goes into the war and it's results. There is another trilogy being written now by Orson Scott Card and his co-author Aaron Johnston, and the first book about the Second Formic War is The Swarm, apparently about the aliens coming back with a real invasion force. This trilogy also is a prequel story to Ender's Game. Card wanted to tell the story of everything that preceded the events in Ender's Game. The first, completed trilogy is The First Formic War and begins with the book I'm reading, and then The Second Formic War trilogy being written now begins with The Swarm and the second book is The Hive, which will drop in June.

I was surprised to find that these Ender's Game prequels/origin stories are currently being written and are thus fresh new stories. Ender's Game was written a long time ago, so Card waited quite a while to write these origin stories. The aliens are scary and smart and masters of their universe and make an appealing and apparently unbeatable enemy.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Now I'm reading Earth Awakens, the third book in the prequel trilogy of the Ender's Game series. I am also reading Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's about the struggle for survival of the last humans from a devastated Earth who have travelled for 1800 years looking for a planet that was terraformed in the distant past but never colonized. They get surprised by what has happened on the planet and another battle for survival begins. Turns out the planet is beautiful and earth-like but it's also been taken by others.