It's March 2020: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
I finished the Black Gate series and am halfway through Starsight by Sanderson. I really enjoyed the first book Skyward and the second is different and fun all the same so far. Definitely very young adult in terms of easy writing, reading, no foul language or adult content but great books for anyone at any age to read really.

I know it is Sci-fi and not fantasy but good reading.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm reading 'Total Recall' by Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's his auto-biography about his life and it is one of the most engaging and interesting biographies I've ever read. This man has had an extraordinary life and -in my view- is a living example of what a person can achieve if he/she has clear goals and relentless dedication. Truly inspiring and a great read. Highly recommended!

I've got some fantasy books on the shelf, one of which is the first 3 books of The Witcher (never got around to reading the series, apart from book one. I know, I know...) so that will probably be my next reading project.

rudyjuly2

Just finished Starsight. Very enjoyable sequel. Different from the first book with a largely new cast and new environment with their own problems. Fast paced and enjoyable. Just like the first book this is an easy read for all ages. Now a long delay for the final two books.

I’d like to read some more modern sci-fi books. I read Red Rising and loved it but haven’t tried the next trilogy. Anybody have any good suggestions for books written in the last ten years? I will say I tried reading the preview for Leviathon Wakes and it did not grab me.

Last edited:

kenubrion

Just finished Starsight. Very enjoyable sequel. Different from the first book with a largely new cast and new environment with their own problems. Fast paced and enjoyable. Just like the first book this is an easy read for all ages. Now a long delay for the final two books.

I’d like to read some more modern sci-fi books. I read Red Rising and loved it but haven’t tried the next trilogy. Anybody have any good suggestions for books written in the last ten years? I will say I tried reading the preview for Leviathon Wakes and it did not grab me.
These are the great books, not the dross and most are the beginning of great series. I didn't find and paste the url's but you can find them by title and author. Seveneves is a stand alone and a great book, as you would expect with a Neal Stephenson book. If you like generation ship books then The Greatship is the best of all and the first of a three book series.
Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines Book 1) Marko Koonz
The First Formic War: (Earth Unaware, Earth Afire, Earth Awakens) Orson Scott Card
The Forge of God (Greg Bear)
Revelation Space (The Inhibitor Trilogy Book 1) Alistair Reynolds
Pandora's Star (The Commonwealth Saga Book 1 (Peter Hamilton)
Seveneves (Neal Stevenson)
Children of Ruin (Adrian Tchaikovsky)
Gridlinked (An Agent Cormac Novel Book 1) Neal Asher
The Line of Polity: The Second Agent Cormac Novel (An Agent Cormac Novel Book 2)
The Greatship (Robert Reed)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L2BA3HK/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i3

Last edited:

kenubrion

Thank you!

Do we have a favourite book thread? We should probably create one for fantasy and sci-fi where everyone can list Their Top 10 books or something. That might be cool.
Great idea! I like lists and recommendations.

kenubrion

find
Thank you!

Do we have a favourite book thread? We should probably create one for fantasy and sci-fi where everyone can list Their Top 10 books or something. That might be cool.
Wanted to mention that The First Formic War is the time during which the Formics find and attack the Earth. 3 books long. Then The Second Formic War occurs (3 books). Then the great Ender's Game.

We did/do have a favorites list thread.

Last edited:

ReguIa

Wanted to mention that The First Formic War is the time during which the Formics find and attack the Earth. 3 books long. Then The Second Formic War occurs (3 books). Then the great Ender's Game.
I've read Ender's Game twice (fantastic book) but nothing else. Are the sequels good enough that I should maybe push them up my TBR a bit?

TheBloodyNine85

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Just about to finish up Book 2 in The Black Iron Legacy by Gareth Hanrahan, The Shadow Saint. Extremely interesting first two books especially considering that there is very little action (battles, fights, chase scenes) in them and each book weighs in at over 500 pages. I gave the 1st one (The Gutter Prayer) a chance based simply on cool title, very nice cover, and published by Orbit. I am glad I did. He is a really good writer with some interesting and captivating ideas about gods, a living city, and the characters that get caught up with both.

kenubrion

I've read Ender's Game twice (fantastic book) but nothing else. Are the sequels good enough that I should maybe push them up my TBR a bit?
Absolutely Regula. But these are PREQUELS not sequels. Don't waste your time with the never-ending BORING sequels. The First Formic War is the very beginning of first contact long before the Events of Ender's game, as is The Second Formic War which I'm reading. I just bought the current second book of The Second Formic War which was just released. These books are not the after-Ender's Game spinoffs/sequels which have multiplied like Formic larvae. These predate everything and start at the true intro. They are also more recently written than all the spinoff series like Ender's Quintet, Ender's Shadow Quintet, and etc.).

So these are great prequels with non-stop action versus the boring Ender's Game which is just his experience with the Battle School events leading to the great finale.

Earth Unaware (The First Formic War Book 1) and Earth Afire (First Formic War Book 2) and Earth Awakens (Book 3 of the trilogy) are just great, far more interesting. Then you have the first two books of The Second Formic War and you're current and awaiting for book 3 which will likely get everything ready for the events of Ender's Game. It was a great idea by Card to write the actual start of the Ender tale starting at first contact.

https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Unaware-First-Formic-Book-ebook/dp/B007IM0IIW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=36WICNBINWZT3&keywords=the+first+formic+war&qid=1584193373&s=digital-text&sprefix=the+first+formic,digital-text,180&sr=1-3

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

Half way through Kings of the Wyld and it’s been very enjoyable. Good character mission. Almost like a fantasy version of Italian Job or Oceans Eleven. It’s got good humour. Nothing super original but fun so far.

rudyjuly2

I loved Uprooted. Fell for that book right away. I’m 56 pages into Spinning Silver and it’s OK. The two main girls are a bit interesting and the mystery of the Staryk is OK but there isn’t a real hook for me. I could DNF this book right now and not really care. I hope this picks up soon. It has good reviews on GR so I hope it gets better.