It's May 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've wondered about her other series - presumably as good as St Mary's, then? There goes yet more of my hard-earned money. :D

I'm reading The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. There are no words for how much I adore Zafon's writing - the sense of the place, the dark spooky corners, they're all stuff I try to nail in my own writing. And then I read his stuff and quietly weep. :D
White Silence was great! First book was paranormal detective kinda thing, with a twist! Highly recommended!

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
I'm reading Wrath of Empire by Brian McClellan, the new Powder Mages books. Actually Gods and Powder series but I can't remember that. Typical beginning of well-loved series new book, feels outta joint as they are getting their new plot and plans together. It's me, it's not them.

Darth Tater

Reading book 3/9 Dragons of Temeraire. The others were very difficult to put down. I keep wondering when I will tire of it but I’m taking breaks in between books and there is good action throughout so it’s remaining fresh. Surprisingly good story. Think of the Napoleonic wars but with dragons and this tells the story.

Ryan W. Mueller

I finally read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson and loved it. I think most people have a sense of the story, so I'll pass on describing it. I also came across a very good indie novel, Rage of Dragons by Evan Winters. It's described as Game of Thrones meets Gladiator on Arrakis, and while that's some nice name dropping, it reminded me much more strongly of Bloodsong, although not to the same quality as Ryan's fabulous book. Some inconsistencies of writing, worldbuilding, and characterization held it back from that lofty level. Then again, few books ever resonated with me as much as Bloodsong. Getting back to Rage of Dragons, when the sequel drops, it's going straight to the top of my TBR pile, which is all an author should really want: intensity for what's next.
I read Rage of Dragons recently, and it definitely reminded me a bit of Blood Song. For a lot of the book (mostly the training segments), I wasn't so sure I'd love it, but the string of action sequences at the end made it an amazing read.

Peat

Reading book 3/9 Dragons of Temeraire. The others were very difficult to put down. I keep wondering when I will tire of it but I’m taking breaks in between books and there is good action throughout so it’s remaining fresh. Surprisingly good story. Think of the Napoleonic wars but with dragons and this tells the story.
I'm 100 pages away from finishing Throne of Jade atm. Quite curious to see what impact the whole travelogue will have on the plot - might peek at the back before I go to sleep.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've read Small Favor (DF #10) last week. It was really good. I feel like the story is getting better and Butcher has finally let go of Harry's casual sexism dressed as chevalier-ism.

Right now I'm reading Midnight Tides. I really missed Malazan. I'll be commenting book by book in dedicated threads as I go along.
Midnight Tides seems to be in a completely different setting and with with brand new characters. Also I finally met Tehol and Bugg. Funny pair. Kinda remind me of less macabre Emanicipor Reese and Bauchelain. God knows Korbal Broach doesn't talk much. Although I pity the servitude of poor old Mancy, more than Bugg. Bugg seems to be on equal footing with Tehol, something that can't be said for luckless Reese and his employers.

Darth Tater

I'm 100 pages away from finishing Throne of Jade atm. Quite curious to see what impact the whole travelogue will have on the plot - might peek at the back before I go to sleep.
I’m just over 1/3 done with Jade. Unlike the frantic pace of thenfirst two this is dragging for me. Nothing but a travel log! We stayed at this 3 star inn. Lengthy description of scenery, weather, food, supplies, etc. Seriously, all book the characters are even complaining of extreme boredom. Yawn! It’s like sitting in someone’s basement forced to watch slides of their summer vacation to the Grand Canyon. I imagine that changes eventually but I’ve read several reviews stating the books drop off significantly as the series progresses. So it’s on a short leash.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I've read Small Favor (DF #10) last week. It was really good. I feel like the story is getting better and Butcher has finally let go of Harry's casual sexism dressed as chevalier-ism.

Right now I'm reading Midnight Tides. I really missed Malazan. I'll be commenting book by book in dedicated threads as I go along.
Midnight Tides seems to be in a completely different setting and with with brand new characters. Also I finally met Tehol and Bugg. Funny pair. Kinda remind me of less macabre Emanicipor Reese and Bauchelain. God knows Korbal Broach doesn't talk much. Although I pity the servitude of poor old Mancy, more than Bugg. Bugg seems to be on equal footing with Tehol, something that can't be said for luckless Reese and his employers.
Hold up! I was under the impression that you had read all Malazan books. Was I wrong?

Alucard

Staff member
Hold up! I was under the impression that you had read all Malazan books. Was I wrong?
You were wrong. I think I should be famous for never finishing a series lol
Btw I'm reading according to ''Ultimate reading order suggested by members of the Malazan Empire Forum'', so next up after I finish with MT is Night of Knives.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
You were wrong. I think I should be famous for never finishing a series lol
Btw I'm reading according to ''Ultimate reading order suggested by members of the Malazan Empire Forum'', so next up after I finish with MT is Night of Knives.
Wow! I really thought you were the forum's resident Malazan maniac, what with the reading order being in your sig and all. Oh well, assumption is the mother of all mess ups I suppose.

In any case: Midnight Tides is awesome. We get a fully new set of characters, and entirely different cultures, and like you said: Tehol and Bug.

Alucard

Staff member
with the reading order being in your sig
I keep that there for easy reference :D

Midnight Tides is awesome. We get a fully new set of characters, and entirely different cultures, and like you said: Tehol and Bug.
Yeah so far it's a backstory of Trull Sengar (first appearance in House of Chains), and Tiste Edur people in general, plus the three Beddict brothers.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I keep that there for easy reference :D

Yeah so far it's a backstory of Trull Sengar (first appearance in House of Chains), and Tiste Edur people in general, plus the three Beddict brothers.
How do you like the Malazan Reading Order approach so far? Does it make sense?

Alucard

Staff member
How do you like the Malazan Reading Order approach so far? Does it make sense?
It makes perfect sense, but I've read 7 books so far and all of them were Erikson's. So far I only read some of The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, and those novellas don't interfere much with the main plot line.

However after MT comes Night of Knives, so I'll be able to tell you more after that.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
It makes perfect sense, but I've read 7 books so far and all of them were Erikson's. So far I only read some of The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, and those novellas don't interfere much with the main plot line.

However after MT comes Night of Knives, so I'll be able to tell you more after that.
What I don't really get though is that Night of Knives is chronologically prior to the events in the main series. It's a bit stand-aloneish (is that even a word), and I guess it can be read after MT, but why not place it even before GotM?

Alucard

Staff member
What I don't really get though is that Night of Knives is chronologically prior to the events in the main series. It's a bit stand-aloneish (is that even a word), and I guess it can be read after MT, but why not place it even before GotM?
This is the explanation I got from the diagram that the guys from Malazan forum drew:

''Night of Knives is a possible starting point. It is a prequel of sorts, and takes place before all other Malazan book of the Fallen and Novels of The Malazan Empire books. It can be read at virtually any time, but is best read at least before The Bonehunters as it introduces some characters who appear in The Bonehunters''

Peat

I’m just over 1/3 done with Jade. Unlike the frantic pace of thenfirst two this is dragging for me. Nothing but a travel log! We stayed at this 3 star inn. Lengthy description of scenery, weather, food, supplies, etc. Seriously, all book the characters are even complaining of extreme boredom. Yawn! It’s like sitting in someone’s basement forced to watch slides of their summer vacation to the Grand Canyon. I imagine that changes eventually but I’ve read several reviews stating the books drop off significantly as the series progresses. So it’s on a short leash.
Wiki says Throne of Jade is one of the first two?

I'm coming to the conclusion that Novik is a wonderful scene writer but not my type of storyteller. Happy to read books like that in moderation, but really wouldn't be surprised if I don't finish the series.

ReguIa

Small Favor is one of my favorites, that one was soo good. The series as a whole is fantastic from now on.

Darth Tater

Wiki says Throne of Jade is one of the first two?

I'm coming to the conclusion that Novik is a won]derful scene writer but not my type of storyteller. Happy to read books like that in moderation, but really wouldn't be surprised if I don't finish the series.
My thoughts exactly. Earlier you wondered how the traveling fits into the big picture. Oh, I’m sorry. Youre reading Throne of Jade. I got confused. I’m reading Black Powder Wars so I cannot tell you. But it becomes pretty obvious in book 3 while there are strong hints in Jade. If you want I xan put it in a seven word spoiler. My theory is in the broadest sense so read it if you wish.

Tenaire proselytizing dragon rights throughout the globe.