It's May 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

Andrew.J

Journeyed there and back again
I've read Small Favor (DF #10) last week. It was really good. I feel like the story is getting better and Butcher has finally let go of Harry's casual sexism dressed as chevalier-ism.
Small Favor is probably my favourite in the series (Skin Game is a close second). All books past this point will be amazing, like @Regula said. I could only see Ghost Story being an exception, as some people didn't like its relation to the overarching plot of the series.

Also, I can't remember if I've asked already, but what do you consider causal sexism in Dresden Files? I recall a few times Harry calling himself out for some of his remarks, but nothing stood out as blatantly sexist. IMO, the 'gentleman' trope fits in well with the detective genre and only adds to the atmosphere, if you will. Where is the line between chevalier manners, as you've put it, and sexism, in your opinion? Or is it that chivalry in the modern day is intrinsically sexist? I'm curious as to what you think.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

Peat

My thoughts exactly. Earlier you wondered how the traveling fits into the big picture. Oh, I’m sorry. Youre reading Throne of Jade. I got confused. I’m reading Black Powder Wars so I cannot tell you. But it becomes pretty obvious in book 3 while there are strong hints in Jade. If you want I xan put it in a seven word spoiler. My theory is in the broadest sense so read it if you wish.

Tenaire proselytizing dragon rights throughout the globe.
Ah right. Nevermind Black Powder Wars, I'm still not really sure what purpose the travelling served in Throne of Jade.

People who've read Novik's non-Temeraire books - how are the plot lines in those?

Darth Tater

Completed The Black Powder Wars (3 of 9 in the Temeraire series) by Naomi Novik. It was drab and dreary. I couldn’t wait to finish. It took me 5 days to complete. As long as the first two together. Tedious travel. I doubt I’ll read any more books in the series. The highlights were the feral dragons and a certain funny spunky baby dragon. 3/5 stars. I still plan to read Uprooted in the future.

Travis

Warded demons with Arlen
I finished A Shadow in Summer. It was quite different than Abraham's later works. I liked it but boy was it slow. I don't even find Martin's Feast or Dance to be particularly slow for me but this was slow. I'm not 100% sure what it was exactly but I'll chalk it up to the unique "pose" system they have going on. It was a really cool and unique idea but having to read "x struck a pose conveying x ,y, and z" every paragraph just made it a slog to get through. I love the innovative idea but it bogged down the pace significantly. I still enjoyed it as I can appreciate slower moving fantasy, and by the end I did get used to it, but it didn't read any faster. I'm actually taking a break from the series for a bit and am going to start Planetfall by Emma Newman today.

Ryan W. Mueller

I finished A Shadow in Summer. It was quite different than Abraham's later works. I liked it but boy was it slow. I don't even find Martin's Feast or Dance to be particularly slow for me but this was slow. I'm not 100% sure what it was exactly but I'll chalk it up to the unique "pose" system they have going on. It was a really cool and unique idea but having to read "x struck a pose conveying x ,y, and z" every paragraph just made it a slog to get through. I love the innovative idea but it bogged down the pace significantly. I still enjoyed it as I can appreciate slower moving fantasy, and by the end I did get used to it, but it didn't read any faster. I'm actually taking a break from the series for a bit and am going to start Planetfall by Emma Newman today.
I will say that the Long Price Quartet gets a lot better as it goes on. It's still a slower-paced series, but the pace picks up in later books.

And I really enjoyed Planetfall.

Cyphon

I haven't been reading any books lately but I did finally decide to give comics a go. I have been into manga for a long time but never really got into American comics outside of watching the movie stuff. First thing to mention is just how confusing it all is. It is so hard to find a starting point because of the re-boots, side stories, crossovers, and just an abundance of information out there.

Anyway I decided to start of with Green Lantern because I always liked the unlimited potential of his powers. Not so much power level but the potential variety in his abilities. Gave the 1960's era a go found it to be too corny and boring for my tastes so I jumped ahead to the 90's and on. It is more enjoyable than the 60's for sure but I still haven't hit anything I got really excited about. I know with a lot of the manga I read I found that extra gear and got really into it but it still hasn't happened with the comics. I guess I should note that I also tried some of the 90's Avengers stuff as well.

Anyway if anyone has any recommendations or anything let me know. I want to give them more of a chance but was hoping for a bit more excitement.

ReguIa

I've also been interested in giving comics a go. They've never been a thing here in Sweden. At least not the Marvel and DC kind.

I've just never known where to start, so if anyone has any recommendations for Cyphon I'd like to know too!

Darth Tater

This isn’t necessarily a recommendation, per se, but I’ve been very tempted to read one of The League Of Extraordinary Gentleman graphic books. But I’ve never read a graphic book before and wish I knew a little more about them and their formatting. Do they look ok on a Kindle? Is a 220 page book a two hour read or will it last a day (average reading pace) ?

Andrew.J

This isn’t necessarily a recommendation, per se, but I’ve been very tempted to read one of The League Of Extraordinary Gentleman graphic books. But I’ve never read a graphic book before and wish I knew a little more about them and their formatting. Do they look ok on a Kindle? Is a 220 page book a two hour read or will it last a day (average reading pace) ?
I'm not sure how long it'll take to read a comic, but it's much faster. Two hours seems like a good guess. However, I wouldn't recommend reading comics on your Kindle. It's a subpar experience, especially if the comic isn't black and white, imo. The size of the e-reader doesn't go well with the comic book format. A tablet, if you have one, would be a lot better. There're apps for comics that make for a good experience. Otherwise, I'd buy a physical copy.

Darth Tater

I'm not sure how long it'll take to read a comic, but it's much faster. Two hours seems like a good guess. However, I wouldn't recommend reading comics on your Kindle. It's a subpar experience, especially if the comic isn't black and white, imo. The size of the e-reader doesn't go well with the comic book format. A tablet, if you have one, would be a lot better. There're apps for comics that make for a good experience. Otherwise, I'd buy a physical copy.
Thank you! That is very helpful.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
@Cyphon and @ReguIa

Like Peat said, I can definitely recommend Watchmen. It's a graphic novel and as such a great "bridge" between a regular (fantasy) book and a comic book. Also, the Walking Dead is also a great series. You can buy the comic in bundles.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I just finished Reaper's Gale. Together with Midnight Tides and Deadhouse Gates my favorite in the Malazan world. The book has such an emotional impact and is so well written that it leaves one reeling, especially during the final 300 pages.

I decided to take a short break from Malazan and started on The Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitsyn (non-fiction).