It's May 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Monthly thread.

I'm actually reading 2 books at once. Never done this before and may never do it again. While waiting for the 3rd book of the Dagger and Coin - Tyrant's Law (i think) I started re-reading the Name of the Wind. So much good in NOTW. Try to alternate a bit but more Rothfuss. Tyrant's Law is slow right now and I'm not sure I like Clara's role. Seems kind of pointless at the moment and I'm not excited about any character either. Marcus finally seems to be doing something again.

kenubrion

With the advent of Kindle I read more than one book until one grabs me and then I stay with it. I'm enjoying that method, reading more, never being out of a good book to read.

Peat

With the advent of Kindle I read more than one book until one grabs me and then I stay with it. I'm enjoying that method, reading more, never being out of a good book to read.
I'm increasingly like that.

Right now I'm halfway through GGK's A Brightness Long Ago and Lindsay Davis' Garden of the Hesperides

A Brightness Long Ago is a test of just how slowly you can push a fantasy story, I think. Its closer to Le Carre than most of the rest of the fantasy genre. I'm enthralled by it, but I suspect it'll be somewhat marmite in the community, with a few people in the middle who love the premise but weren't fully caught by the execution.

kenubrion

I finished Stonewielder last night, what a great book, and immediately bought Orb Sceptre Throne, the next in Ian Esslemont's Malazan series. I also started The Rose and The Thorn, the second book in Michael Sullivan's Riyria Chronicles.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I've read The Talisman and really liked it. It's a collab, but I've never read Straub alone, so I got more of a King impression from it.
It's basically the oldest fantasy story in the world, a chosen one (a boy without a sword in this case) gets to save the world and his mother, but with a Stephen King style of storytelling. Maybe that's why I liked it. Usually I don't care for that trope.
There are also a lot of similarities with the Dark Tower series as far as the setting and some characters go, so that only helped its case.

Right now I'm reading the prequel to Bartimaeus series, but it's not so much a prequel as it is a standalone book with Bartimaeus as the main character. Apart from that it doesn't really have much to do with the main trilogy.
It's predictably funny and entertaining just as I expected it to be, because Bartimaeus is really one of my favourite fantasy characters of all time. You just can't beat that humour.

ReguIa

I'm reading the 4th WOT book and loving it so far. What a series.
Oh I'm also on the 4th book. Is this the first time you're going through it? I took a break from it after Dragon Reborn because I can't dive into these massive tomes while having university studies at the same time. Definitely going to continue during the summer though.

Derk of Derkholm

Am reading "The Mortal Instruments" and not really sold so far. Unfortunately I got the whole series as boxed set.

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
I just started Tad William's Empire of Grass as it just came out today and arrived about an hour ago. This is the 2nd book in his Last King of Osten Ard sequel series. (Memory, Sorrow, And Thorn) I ended up not reading much of Path to Ascension (only 10% through the first book) as I just haven't felt like reading much lately, so I decided to just put it on hold and jump right into this. Hopefully this will get me back on the reading wagon.

Last edited:

ExTended

I've finished Holy Sister by Mark Lawrence.

A decent book, but there are lots of flaws and fan-service/political panderings in it.

The main flaw - as every Mark Lawrence book ever - it literally goes nowhere. The first book in all of his trilogies sets the stage for something grand and epic, and then it turns out it's just a glorified picknick with some travel log elements for seasoning. I absolutely despise the ways in which he scales his stories - it's ever a let-down of the "bigger/better" promise with Mark. Granted, usually his 2nd/3rd books are fine by themselves, but that man cannot up the scale/stakes if his life depends on it.
8/10 over-all for this trilogy, 8.2/10 for the book. I would totally recommend it, but if you're after some epic fantasy stuff - not for you. Also - his magic systems positively suck. Zero order, zero sense. It's basically cheating whenever he feels like it.

I've also finished with Uprooted. It's a fine book, not my favorite mix of tropes, but well... The funny thing is her Temeraire books are FAR more mature and polished, despite being written prior to this one. I feel like she dumbed down the tone and over-all complexity of her writing voice way too much to get into the YA shelves. Still, it's better that the fantasy average, so there's that. 7.4/10

I've gone back to Malazan book 3 too. I needed something challenging and epic in scale and ideas after the upper books mentioned. I preferred waiting for Awaken Online 5 audiobook for after Holy Sister, but it wasn't meant to be, it's not out yet.

I'm also reading Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan. It's better than I expected, but considering that my expectations were revolving around a 5/10 story, he shouldn't feel too proud of himself just yet. I'm liking two of the three main POVs so far, the 3rd one is a naval one and I'm not a naval story-telling fan regardless of who does the telling, so yeah - not Anthony's fault I guess. :)

I'm also currently reading The Shadow of What Was Lost 1, Unfettered 1 and Greatcoats 3( re-read). The first one is somewhat annoying so far in that the character names sound too similar on audiobook and that's not ideal. I wonder if authors ever take the time to pronounce the names of their POV characters before sending their books for publishing - it would help a ton. I'm always mindful of that myself... after having had the pleasure to endure half a dozen books with "Who's that now" wonderings after each POV/scene change. :)

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

I'm really enjoying my re-read of Name of the Wind. Funny how some things you can remember well years later and others you completely forget. Almost 400 pages in and making it hard to alternate with Tyrant's Law (book 3 Dagger and Coin). Tyrant's Law feels like it is going nowhere right now. Has no urgency, no characters I truly care about right now and nobody is doing anything interesting. Clara is an outright bore. This better go somewhere soon.

ReguIa

I'm really enjoying my re-read of Name of the Wind. Funny how some things you can remember well years later and others you completely forget. Almost 400 pages in and making it hard to alternate with Tyrant's Law (book 3 Dagger and Coin). Tyrant's Law feels like it is going nowhere right now. Has no urgency, no characters I truly care about right now and nobody is doing anything interesting. Clara is an outright bore. This better go somewhere soon.
However annoying it is to wait for book 3, Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are definitely one of the best things I've read. I feel that series started getting so much hate just because readers became annoyed with Rothfuss and not because they disliked the work itself.

I'm sort of at the point where I try not to not even think about it anymore. I thought it was excellent. But I don't see how he can wrap everything up in a satisfying way in just 1 more book. So while all the talk of further stories in the same world is something I should be really excited for, I just feel like what's the point? Another trilogy would be another 2 decades or something

Who wants to wait 40 years for a proper ending.

rudyjuly2

However annoying it is to wait for book 3, Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are definitely one of the best things I've read. I feel that series started getting so much hate just because readers became annoyed with Rothfuss and not because they disliked the work itself.

I'm sort of at the point where I try not to not even think about it anymore. I thought it was excellent. But I don't see how he can wrap everything up in a satisfying way in just 1 more book. So while all the talk of further stories in the same world is something I should be really excited for, I just feel like what's the point? Another trilogy would be another 2 decades or something

Who wants to wait 40 years for a proper ending.
I agree that is seems impossible for Rothfuss to wrap up the story in one book unless it’s 1500 pages. I’m trying to hunt for clues on my re-read. Loving it again though.

kenubrion

finished King of Ashes by Feist, now on The Poppy War by R.F.Kuang
How did you like King of Ashes? I liked it quite a lot. Meanwhile I'm at 45% of Orb Sceptre Throne and liking it. So many points of view and different stories. So it's like the original Malazan books in that regard. I sort of remember who the characters from the original books are and what they did. I definitely like being back with the Bridgeburners. I'm going to stay with this series with two more books after this. It's nice to be back in that complex world.

ExTended

I've just finished with The Shadow Of What Was Lost by James Islington. After getting used to the names of the characters( in the audiobook) things started to make much more sense.

I totally get why people are labeling this as the series that's most like WoT( in the good sense of the sentiment, mind you). It truly feels like reading a WoT book, although one written by a slightly inferior author, it's still up there with the top 10-20% in the genre. If WoT and this trilogy were real people, they'd be best friends for sure. :)

Still - there are some glaring flaws in the series, mainly the pacing and some of the world-building stuff, more specifically the different mini-factions within the world, also the magic system is a bit gameplay-like and convenient at times plus there's some plot armor, but after it's all been said and done - I'm happy with my decision to delve into this trilogy - I feel like being 16 and new to the genre again.Ah, nostalgia, you've got me once more!

7.6/10 compared to everything else fantasy I've ever read, 8.9/10 for making me feel home( in few places) at Hobbiton again. :)

EDIT: If you're read the WoT audiobooks - it's the same narrator, Michael Kramer to be precise, so yeah, even there you'll get some nice similarity of tone.

stenney

Stood on the wall with Druss
How did you like King of Ashes? I liked it quite a lot. Meanwhile I'm at 45% of Orb Sceptre Throne and liking it. So many points of view and different stories. So it's like the original Malazan books in that regard. I sort of remember who the characters from the original books are and what they did. I definitely like being back with the Bridgeburners. I'm going to stay with this series with two more books after this. It's nice to be back in that complex world.
i really enjoyed it. looking forward to more. i'm just trying to figure out if i am being easier on it based on it being Feist. The Riftwar Saga and all the books that go with it was the first epic fantsy series i read, starting at age 15 or so, and finishing in my 40's. so i have a soft spot for him, but i think i would have like this story no matter who wrote it, but i definitely heard about it and gave it a shot originally because it is Feist.

and i haven't heard of Orb Sceptre, and keep debating whether i want to start another big long series when i hear about Malazan

kenubrion

and i haven't heard of Orb Sceptre, and keep debating whether i want to start another big long series when i hear about Malazan
Yeah, it will consume your world if you like it. Very dark and yet you really get closely involved with the characters. It's just a very dark world and they have to be as well. I just finished the prequel trilogy Path Of Ascendancy and it is quite light compared to the original and Ian Esslemont's six volume addition. Written by Esslemont, it might be a better starting point than Gardens of the Moon, at least that way you sort of know what's gone on before you're thrown into the middle.

Speaking of Orb Sceptre Throne, for you all who have read it, do we ever get a clue as to what the Moranth Silvers threw from the quorls to decimate the Seguleh? Also I think the Malazans' reaction to that as 'poor little Seguleh that's so terrible' is way overdone. Whatever it is, no one feels sorry for the army that is decimating you. Amiright?

Last edited:

Khartun

Speaking of Orb Sceptre Throne, for you all who have read it, do we ever get a clue as to what the Moranth Silvers threw from the quorls to decimate the Seguleh? Also I think the Malazans' reaction to that as 'poor little Seguleh that's so terrible' is way overdone. Whatever it is, no one feels sorry for the army that is decimating you. Amiright?
Was it not Moranth munitions? They are pretty famous for that.

kenubrion

Was it not Moranth munitions? They are pretty famous for that.
Oh yeah but these are different. I'm reading it right now so it's fresh in my mind but the big deal to the Malazans is that they are new/different and cause great craters-blasting explosions and acting as though this is some kind of war crime and how sorry they feel for the por Seguleh who have been carving them up. So it boils down to slaughtered with swords good, but slaughtered with explosions bad.

I'm just trying to know if Esslemont ever explains what they are because they sound like gunpowder based or maybe nitrate based. But anyway the sorrow felt for the poor Segulehs rings discordant.

Finished now and it just didn't strike me as true to the Malazan ethos. Like it was the first book Esslemont wrote, not the fourth. Oh well, on to Blood and Bone.

Last edited: