It's May 2019: What fantasy book are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
Will likely continue de Castell's "Spellslinger" series with book 5, "Queenslayer"...

ExTended

I've finished up with Phil Tucker's Euphoria Online trilogy.

It's not bad. Somewhere on the level of The Way of the Shaman by Vasily Mahanenko, maybe a little bit behind it, tbh, but relatively decent. The author didn't, but was near to, overstay his welcome and it's not that the 2nd and 3rd books were bad, but they didn't build up on the common sense factor of the characters in it and you would kind of hope for that to happen.

The most intriguing part - the premise that the main guy would die in the real world if he died even once in the game was driving the story in the right direction in the first book and it totally derailed the next two, unfortunately. I just couldn't believe that anyone playing in Death Mode would take the same decisions that the main character did, and his antagonists thorough the last two books are some unrealistically despicable human beings for the most part. I just cannot relate to the whole situation, having been part of a few guilds, I just cannot accept the things the protagonist and the villains take for logical steps forward to be anything but damn insanity. I'd give the first book 7.5/10 for playing well on the main premise and the 2nd and the 3rd book a generous 5.5/10 for having a decent plot that makes no sense with the main premise set in the first book, but would've been okay in any other circumstances. Overall 6.2/10

And I'm not sure if Malazan 3 is enormously big or i I'm reading it extremely slow, but damn, I'm barely at 25% yes, after 10+ days of reading the thing.

ExTended

I've started and finished with Priest of Bones on a whim and I'm glad that I did.

It's a great mix between Low Town and say Boardwalk Empire and maybe a bit of the Godfather thrown in there in terms of how our main crew is structured. My two main complaints regarding this book would be that the main side character is there more for show and pandering than substance, having the tragic lesbian back story + the hilarious "Where's my son!?" x 100 line repeat from Lost, although with her it's "I hate Witches". The rest of the side characters are mostly alright, although everyone's backstory is quite lazy and obvious from a thousand miles on a stormy day.

My second complaint comes with the last 20%. Things just didn't escalate properly. It felt like a strong first book decided to dress up as a underwhelming 2nd book before going to sleep. There were some fireworks in the end, but I wasn't invested in the ending at all, very anti-climactic.

The set-up for the 2nd book is decent, though. So there's hope. 8.1/10

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

Finished the Tyrant's Law, book 3 of Dagger and Coin and it was easily the worst in the series so far. The first half of the book had no major plot points or anything exciting or interesting. I almost felt like quitting. The book closes better but this was a weak effort. I have a lot of apathy towards too many characters. Clara is almost entirely boring as well.

2.5/5

kenubrion

Finished the Tyrant's Law, book 3 of Dagger and Coin and it was easily the worst in the series so far. The first half of the book had no major plot points or anything exciting or interesting. I almost felt like quitting. The book closes better but this was a weak effort. I have a lot of apathy towards too many characters. Clara is almost entirely boring as well.

2.5/5
I also quit at about the same place Rudy. Been a while so I don't remember what was happening, but obviously it wasn't much. The hero character was going to some island. I think I decided that it seemed aimless. And to paraphrase Indiana Jones, why did it have to be spiders.

rudyjuly2

Well I'm taking a break from Daniel Abraham's series to re-read The Wise Man's Fear again. As frustrated as I am with no book 3 in sight his books are fantastic. Unique and full of great characters. Hating Ambrose all over again lol. If only I could filter the amount of Denna references.

ReguIa

Well I'm taking a break from Daniel Abraham's series to re-read The Wise Man's Fear again. As frustrated as I am with no book 3 in sight his books are fantastic. Unique and full of great characters. Hating Ambrose all over again lol. If only I could filter the amount of Denna references.
I also want to do a re-read of it. However since there's no release date on #3 whatsoever I'm doing what I can to put it off. I finally have a lot of time again this summer and probably going to use it to dive back into Wheel of Time.

TheBloodyNine85

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Halfway through The Gutter Prayer by Gareth Hanrahan. I am really into this one. It is not heavy on action, but the writing and story more than make up for it. The only real action occurs at the beginning. Everything after that is about examining why it happened and who could be involved, and their motivations. Strong story, characters, and writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.