It's May 2021: What fantasy book are you reading?

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
MALICE REVIEW

This was the first book by author John Gwynne and I’m sure his books will continue to improve as he writes. It’s a solid book but I don’t think this will end up on a favourites list either. This was more of an old school fantasy. While there weren’t a lot of different races with largely humans and a few giants mixed in with a little bit of magic (not much), it was pretty traditional and I enjoyed it. Modern fantasy tries so hard to add new or different elements filled with cursing and sex that it can be too much at times. To read a more traditional ensemble fantasy, including a potential young hero, was appreciated. There is no cursing or sex in this book so it is not written by GRRM lol. There are quite a few characters and most are memorable and enjoyable. Some characters you really root for. This isn’t a grey book – you know who the good and bad guys are for the most part. The story progressed in a solid way and I read it relatively quickly.

My two criticisms of the book were that the prologue was a bit cheesy with the cauldron and swearing allegiance to the devil/Asroth. And the author’s use of time could have been done better. Time does pass in the book and relationships allegedly grow stronger while people train, etc but you don’t really feel it. It feels a lot like the story and developments progress too quickly at times.

All in all I enjoyed it. Wasn’t the best fantasy book I’ve read but I’m definitely going to continue. This is a 3.5 to 4 out of 5 book imo.
Yes, the series gets better from here and there are some surprises in store.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I've finished both the Last Argument of Kings (First Law #3) and Best Served Cold (First Law world semi-standalone #1) by Joe Abercrombie. Had a blast, I just love Abercrombie's characters. So delightfully vile! Started on The Heroes. I remember this one as my favourite Abercrombie novel, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Cyphon

Finished Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings. I bought this the same time I bought Dragonbone Chair because I wanted to take multiple swings at re-capturing that Wheel of Time magic. So with that in mind, PoP was definitely better than Dragonbone Chair but still feels closer to that than it does to what I was looking for. It was entertaining enough but I still came away not quite satisfied. It ultimately didn't feel like much happened by the end of the book and we got more tease toward events than any events actually happening. What really saves this book is that it was just around 250 pages so it didn't drag nearly as much as DC. I enjoyed these characters more which helped the most I think.

Didn't love it but there was just enough there at the short length for me to give the 2nd book a go.

Cyphon

Halfway through Valor, book #2 in Faith and Fallen. Enjoying book 2. Lots of good characters. A nice old school love of characters. But the author doesn't mind killing off people in the series either.
This sounds interesting. Haven't heard of it.

rudyjuly2

This sounds interesting. Haven't heard of it.
The prologue of book 1 wasn’t that great but if you are looking for an old school fantasy feel like you said you might want to give it a try. My library has all 4 books so it’s free to read for me anyways. The reviews on GR get better as the series progresses.

rudyjuly2

Finished “Valor”. Book 2 of the Malice/Faith and Fallen series. Really liked it. A solid continuation of the events of the first book. While I thought the first book was 3.5-4 this was better. A solid 4+. The characters are what I enjoy. Again, it’s old school epic fantasy of good vs evil and most of the characters are clearly one or another with a few in between. The story is solid. Two books left. Just have to wait for the library to get book 3 in so my Kindle sample will have to do.

Jakyro

Finished “Valor”. Book 2 of the Malice/Faith and Fallen series. Really liked it. A solid continuation of the events of the first book. While I thought the first book was 3.5-4 this was better. A solid 4+. The characters are what I enjoy. Again, it’s old school epic fantasy of good vs evil and most of the characters are clearly one or another with a few in between. The story is solid. Two books left. Just have to wait for the library to get book 3 in so my Kindle sample will have to do.
I think you can say that the series gets better with each book. I've read all of them this year; first all four books of TFATF, and after that I also read the three books in OBAB, Gwynne's follow up series. It takes place 130 years after events of TFATF. Like you say, old school epic fantasy, good vs evil ... but really nicely done. I enjoyed every book and will definitely pick up more from Gwynne in the future. I know he already has a first book out in a new series, but I'm holding that one of for now. I'll be reading something else now ... not sure what.