It's November 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Nov 1, 2017.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm just finishing a great new book called Quillifer by Walter Jon Williams. He is a well known sci fi author and his initial entry in the fantasy genre is a huge success. I highly recommend it to everyone. Medieval setting, think the Red Knight without the talent and a scallywag whose fun world disappears suddenly in a blaze of death and destruction. How he deals with it, and impacts everyone around him, is the wonderful tale. A standalone.

2. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Just finished the first book of the Red Knight yesterday. I thought it was a very good book. Not the greatest book I ever read but enjoyable start to finish. The strength is in the characters. I think the author did a really good job of adding a lot of memorable characters without making it difficult to remember them. The magic is different and interesting. My only small gripe would be the humans vs the non-humans who have descended from the North type of story although there is a hidden link in there. For those that don't want to read about boglins, irks or other non-human creatures the story isn't focused on them much but it is a big part of the world.

3. fbones24

fbones24 Journeyed there and back again

I'm finishing up Assassins Fate by Robin Hobb. This is not her best book by far. In fact, I'd say it may be my least favorite. Just something about it didn't grab me like her other books and there was a lot of meandering throughout the body of this book. With that said, the ending is fitting and the last two or three chapters are enthralling. I feel like she always has a way of sucking you back in, even when her dialogue and plot take the long way. I know I will shed a tear when this book ends, regardless of the outcome.

4. kenubrion

Finished the wonderful Quillifer and starting The Fall of Dragons, which dropped today! The final book in the great Traitor Son series.

5. Cyphon

Cyphon Journeyed there and back again

I'm starting Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan. Not sure what to expect but pretty excited about it for whatever reason.

6. fbones24

fbones24 Journeyed there and back again

I really enjoyed the first novel in this series but for some reason, had no desire to continue. How does the series progress? Would you say it gets better, obviously better being subjective.... I guess just looking for opinions.

I finished Assasins Fate last night and though the ending felt a little contrived, I was satisfied. I feel things could have finished differently but ultimately, Fitz and the Fool had to end somehow. Fitz and the Fool feel like companions to me. I actually feel like I was a part of their world and traveling along with them (and the other characters) on all their adventures. That's Hobb's strength obviously. This last book was long and sort of drawn out but still satisfying and fitting.

Started "The Left Hand of Darkness."

7. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

I finished The Crippled God yesterday. The final book in Malazan Book of the Fallen ... I thought this was a very satisfying ending to a great series.
    I'll be reading the final two Esslemont books next ... after that I'll take a break from Malazan. I'll only start the other trilogies once they're complete and I still have the short stories to read as well (not sure when I'll come to them)

8. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

So, which books were your favorite from the main series?

9. Hand of Fear

Hand of Fear Journeyed there and back again

I decided to stop reading The Tower Lord, then I tried reading Children of Time and then The Fifth Season and I just couldn't get going with any of them.

In the end I started reading the last book in The Dark Tower series, I've enjoyed the others so I'm hoping that this book will be okay for now.

I'm pretty sure that I'm burned-out on reading at the moment and I need a bit of a break, I've done a lot more reading than I normally would so I think that has played a large part in the way I'm feeling. So this will be the last book I read this year, and have a fresh start next year.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Spoiler free until clearly noted below:

1/3 through Fall Of Dragons (book 5 of The Traitor Son Cycle aka The Red Knight). Really good. I couldn't tear myself away and didn't eat breakfast until noon.. Everything hits the fan from the get go. Battles galore.

The editing in book one was horrible. Book two a slight improvement and then IIRC books three and four weren't bad. Be prepared. The editing in book 5 is a nightmare.

*Spoiler below*

You know the book is really good when favorite characters are lost and you get choked up.. The two of note were the self sacrifices of Amicia and later Kronmir.

11. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

This was my list before I started the last two:
    1. The Bonehunters
    2. Deadhouse Gates
    3. Memories of Ice
    4. Reaper's Gale
    5. Midnight Tides
    6. Gardens of the Moon
    7. House of Chains
    8. Toll the Hounds
    I have to say I haven't figured out where to put Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God
    I like both a lot, so I'd probably put them at the top, but not sure where exactly
    Maybe I should try a reread to figure out for sure? :p

12. kenubrion

It gets more involved and complex. As you know Red Knight was a an action bonanza without any backstory. You get filled in book by book and the characters become many and fleshed out. Gabriel often doesn't figure prominently until close to the end. You get the enemys' perspective as much as the good guys. The action scenes are great and lengthy. You learn in great depth about chivalry and armor and battle.

This final book starts out with an incredible battle right off the bat and you learn a lot that hasn't been revealed.

13. fl1pper

fl1pper Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I have just finished The War of the Flowers which I enjoyed very much (8/10). It's funny and a bit different than standard fantasy books; I shall definitely read some more Tad Williams. Now it's back on the Malazan train with Blood Follows and I can't wait :D

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

@fbones24

My opinion. I loved it from jump but if you weren't crazy about the first book it's hard to say if you'll like the rest any better. To me it doesn't change much. It starts great and continues that way. Maybe a little less descriptive about helmets, bucklers, greaves and whatnot. The more he gets into the characters the more you become attached to them. Hell, a couple of deaths got me all choked up.

One more thing. I'm halfway through book 5 and it makes WOT's Tarman Gai'don seem like a battle with squirt guns and pea shooters. My molar literally hurts because I'm clenching my teeth when reading. No, I do not normally suffer from Bruxism.

15. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Started Vicious Circle by Mike Carey. It's the 2nd book in Felix Castor series. Felix is an exorcist/magician and in this world ghosts are common occurance, where even the public sees them on a regular basis.
    Carey is a British writer, so the series has that classical british humour as well as bit of a darker tone. I've enjoyed the first book quite a lot. I hope this one will be just as good.

16. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I started The Labyrinth of Flame by Courtney Schafer. This is book 3 in a series. I picked up book 1 like 6 or 7 years ago, remember liking it, and finally read book 2 recently. The jury is still out on what I think of this one; there seem to be a lot of tribesman/indigenous type characters (they are suitably complex as characters, which is an improvement over a lot of books) who have been recently introduced and who I am just not as into. It is also possible that being on opioids for four days has made me miss a key part of the plot that would've changed my opinion (though, I really don't think that's the case).

17. rudyjuly2

rudyjuly2 Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I had to google “boggles” for the Red Knight. First 50 pages of book 2 and this reference confuses me. Then I read he switched to using boggles instead of boglins for some reason at the start of book 2. That makes no sense to me.

On a different note the beginning of book 2 does a very nice job of starting a new story with new characters.

18. fl1pper

fl1pper Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I've finished Blood Follows but given that I'm not a big fan of short stories/novellas in general, I give it a measly 6/10. Now onto The Lees of Laughter's End.

19. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I wouldn't that the series gets better with the further books, but it doesn't get worse, for the most part, so if you've liked the first book, you'd probably like the rest as well.

The biggest cons I can think of when it comes to books 2 and onward are probably:
    1: Too many characters. You are bound to love some, actually most, but the ones you happen to dislike - they get quite the screen time too, which could be kind of annoying at times.
    2. The magic system gets more complicated, but it's never explained, so the "deus ex machina" plot moments stemming from over-powered magic are at times abundant. If that bothers you... well.
    3. Baring maybe the 2nd book, the books from the 3rd onward couldn't brag about a clear-cut plot/conflict flow as the first book for example, where you have more or less a defined goal from start to finish. The later books are more like a sequence of events, moves, that lead to a showdown, instead of a coherently flowing story-line. It's not chaotic, but it's doesn't give the reader much ground to stand on, so you basically get excited for what could happen in the next 10% of the book, instead for the next 50% or something like that.
    4. Also, there's a bit sword-and-sorcery vibe going with some of the secondary characters. They happen to receive the good consequences of the main characters, without struggling through the rough character-arcs in order to earn that good luck. If that makes sense.

Other than that, the series is more that fine.

I am currently on the 5th book and it's going great. Far better than the 3rd or 4th actually. Still, could've been a little better, a little bit tidier, and so on.

But it's probably in my top 10 fantasy series I think. I haven't updated the list for some time, so I am not sure, but yeah - I like it well-enough. Mostly for the characterization.

And for the medieval quirkiness. Very few other series fuss about meaningless gestures, actions and habits as much as The Traitor Son Cycle. The only series approaching this level or quirkiness is aSoIaF - and in most cases it wouldn't work, but it somehow works for Cameron and Martin.

And since you'd rarely hear me praising Martin, that says a lot.

On another note - I've recently finished The Core by Peter V. Brett. I am kind of sad that the series finished. And happy too. It's one of those series that you love to hate and hate to love. I wouldn't say it was a guilty pleasure of mine, since getting through book 2-4 was a struggle for me. It was worth it, the ending was almost decent. But so much lost potential with this series - I hate it when author blow out their series after a great first book.

I am almost done with book two of Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. It's a nice enough story, if you don't expect too much of it.

I've also finished Snapshot and Mitosis from Brandon Sanderson. I kind of needed those two to complete everything available by him to date, except The Evil Librarian series, which just sound too stupid to me to be bothered with. But yeah, I am a Brandon Sanderson expert now. Scholar, even. Unfortunately, I have not reached a fanboy level yet.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  20. kenubrion

At least there were short periods to catch your breath in the first four books. I haven't been able to come up for air.