It's November 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Nov 1, 2017.

1. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Since you so astutely mention this, let me add that the new epic fantasy called Quillifer makes both of those series pale before it. Not just descriptions but every bit of dialogue. It's a treasure trove of accurate medieval vernacular. The prose is beautiful.

2. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Thanks - that sounds great, actually! :) You've saved Google the trouble of providing results for the impending "Books like The Red Knight" search. :p

3. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Okay, thanks everyone for the heads up. I'll buy the final book in the Traitor's Son Cycle.

I am currently still reading Return of the Crimson Guard. It has been slow going for me. The book is quite complicated (lots of characters to keep track off) and I haven't had much time to read lately, so I find myself going back and forth in the book whenever I pick it up, just to get the characters straight again. Still a good read though.

4. Jakyro

Jakyro Journeyed there and back again

It’s currently still my favourite from Esslemont.

After having finished MBotF I started Esslemont’s fifth book now, Blood and Bone. I’ve been reading one chapter a day so far, about 30% into this book. It’s an easy read so far. Not too many characters and the plot is easy going as well. I’m liking it but for now I feel it isn’t his best work.

After that I’ll finish the series with Assail. This means I’ll have finished my reading goal of the year (MBotF and ME), something I didn’t expect I’d succeed in. I normally read 2 Malazan books before switching to something else, but with these final two books finished i’ll have read six in a row

5. fl1pper

fl1pper Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I just finished The Lees of Laughter's End by Mr Erikson and I really enjoyed it. It is not what I expected at all because it was hilarious. Very gruesome but somehow also very funny. Hope The Wurms of Blearmouth is more of the same.

6. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I am reading whatever the 5th Red Knight book is called. Some kind of gruesome torture so far but otherwise pretty much what I've come to expect from this series.

7. ExTended

I've just finished with The Fall of Dragons and I've liked it. Very much.

Simply said - if you've enjoyed the previous ones, the fifth book is more of the same. It's probably slightly better than the 3rd or the 4th book, in the regard that the plot is more defined thorough the book - something that was bothering me with the previous two.

If I am to point the two biggest weaknesses of the series, in my personal opinion, of course, they'd be:
    1. The side-plots are too numerous and some of them distract too much of the main story and tend to break the narrative a bit. Of course they're still vital for the resolutions, but they could and probably should've been shorter and more in the background.
    2. Too many battles. They're literally in every chapter. Many chapters are following just their own big, enormous battle. It's kind of tiring. I prefer when so more story-telling is scattered among the skirmishes. If you are sucker for medieval battles, though, you should probably get to the book asap.

I am still going to give the book 9.2/10, because the cool characters are plentiful enough to carry the rest of the story with them. The ending was worth all those pages. And I am giving it a little bit of extra for consistency thorough the different books in the series.

I'd have liked a more defined magic system tbh. I don't really like series where I don't even bother to guess how the magic would solve the problem, because the magic system has no real boundaries, or if it has - they are not explained to the reader in a meaningful enough manner to prepare him for guessing plot-twists. Think LOTR and aSoAaF - there is magic, and in this series it certainly has a more central role, but it's mostly explained as "They can do things - deal with it".

I am pretty sure that this series is in my personal top 15, maybe even top 10. I haven't updated my list in a long time, but I've liked it quite much, so I am on the bandwagon. :)

8. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is

I'm currently reading previews for the nominees for Goodreads.com BOTY awards. All good stuff so far!

9. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Second hand recommendation, but I've heard good things about Mary Gentle's Ash which suggests she might be an answer here.

10. kenubrion

Does anyone remember what wardens (Mogon etc) look like in Traitor Son? I'm finding I need to recall the physical descriptions of many of the Wild's denizens.

11. ExTended

Weren't those the beaked ones, where their beaks are inlaid in gold and silver, and so forth? There should be a description of them in the first book where...

Gabriel kills one demon 1 vs 1 on the scouting mission with Gelfrit, shortly after arriving at the Abbey. I cannot remember if it was a warden he kills, what else it could've been? :)

Tbh I didn't bothered with refreshing that part of my Traitor Son expertise before diving into the final book.

Disclaimer: Any stupid spelling of imaginary things and names from my part - I blame on me being an audiobook reader. :) The regular atrocious grammar is just me, though.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I think they have beaks with fangs and wild colored spiked hairdos. Like a rooster. Plus they are tall (7'?)

74 pages to go.

13. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Currently reading Sins of Empire. Reading very different for myself, as I I'm reading a lot slower, trying to absorb the story better.

How slow you might ask? I spent about 6 hours and only read about 200 pages. But I'm able to remember a lot more than I should be able to.

So there's these 2 groups of 2 people. One is a couple outlaws that were released in jail to spy on this female soldier, they don't know why. And the other group is the soldier and this spy who's following her around.

It's a lot of fun, although it could use some more combat. It seems like it's going for a more subtle experience with characters who try to avoid combat when they can. Hope it's building up to something huge at the end of the book.

14. Darth Tater

I agree with all of this. I would add a third criticism regarding the editing. Also, I got confused sometimes. I thought his characters were realistic and his situational use of the "F bomb" was the best I've ever seen. The battles were good but like the final book of WOT enough is enough. Book 4 basically set this one up so I think 4 total books would've worked better for me than 5.

Overall, I loved the book. I would rate it a solid 9 stars of 10. Really good "new" author, IMO.

15. Darth Tater

What didn't you like about it? Aside from the editing.

16. kenubrion

Yeah I get the beaks and purple crests which is how he keeps describing them. But he also mentions their hides and their huge feet so I can't imagine what the rest of their body is like. Arms or wings? I think maybe in the past I assumed they were bird like but now not sure.

17. Darth Tater

I always imagined them as big Ostriches from hell for some reason. I'm guessing you've tried general and image searches online and come up
    empty like I did.

18. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

My comment was brief, but shouldn't be construed as a negative. More of a neutral. I think I would like the characters to have a chance to catch a break. As soon as one group finishes a battle, we leave them and move on to another group of characters about ready to face another battle. (I seem to remember book 2 having large segments like this.)

I am not sure whether to cringe with the treatment of Looks at Clouds or not. To use "hir" as one pronoun and "s/he" as the other is weird. You can't even pronounce the second one of those, or use it in speech. I think that is why people who pick "hir" as a pronoun usually use "ze" instead of "she" or "he." I am cool with Cameron adding a character of ambiguous gender identity as I don't feel beaten over the head with it, and in a cast of characters this large, there's going to be someone like that as a matter of course. The bit about Aneas being in love with Looks at Clouds works because of what we know about his past relationships and crushes. But the bit about Irene being in love with Looks at Clouds comes out of nowhere. And then the Aneas and Irene kissing thing isn't believable.

OK, well one negative. The word "puissant" is used entirely too often. It seems weird to me to refer to oneself as being puissant, but Desiderata does at one point.

But, there is a comfortable familiarity to this book overall and I do kind of like being back with the whole crew. I like the convergence of the various storylines as I felt there was really a lot going on in some of the previous books, and I couldn't see the point of every bit in the past, but I think the author is making up for it now.

19. Darth Tater

I totally agree with you on everything including the spoiler points. I needed a break from the battles myself. The word "puissant" was indeed overused. I have no idea what it means. Thanks for the reminder. Going to look it up now... OK.

On the pronoun stuff, at the end of the book in the character glossary (which I perused) he admits that he made a mistake when you read the blurb on the character. He says he didn't learn the proper term until later so to be consistent he didn't change it. I not only agree with you on the one thing but I never got the point of ANY of it and felt it did nothing to further the plot. That word he used made my brain hurt and I thought it was dumb anyhow. In fact

I never got how the Anaes gay stuff and the Duchess of Venike gay stuff mattered. I guess her and Sauce were partners too.

I'm reading a series called The Shadow Campaigns and the inclusion of something similar DOES make a big impact in furthering the plot.

Can anyone answer the following:

Helewise. Did she and all those people at her party die when the worms first appeared? The kids who were making out (Pippa and Jamie Lee ran to warn everyone. But they are never mentioned again. But later in the book someone says "Helewise died a long time ago". It wasn't THAT long ago regardless.

OK. This stuff I've mentioned is just a relatively minor blip. IMO, it is a really good series regardless. I very much enjoyed it. I really loved the characters he created. I mean, he's GGK, but there was never a point where I was like "Oh man. I don't want to read about this guy" like with Elaine in WOT. AND deaths DID matter to the other characters. Like in real life they would mention them and grieve throughout the book. In WOT's last book I felt it was like "Oh well so and so major character got blown up. Bummer. Let's go grab a burger".

Oh, I felt the book had a nice ending with loose ends being tied up.

20. Darth Tater

Ohhhhh. I'm sorry. Dumb me. I thought you meant reading the book was some kind of gruesome torture but you were referring to an event in the book. DUH. That's why I thought you didn't like it.