It's November 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by kenubrion, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I learned things about armor I wished I hadn't. It was good news-bad news- good news for the knights.

The good news was they didn't need to dig latrines. The bad news was their armor served that purpose and they had to walk around and fight in it that enclosed space for days at a time. The good news was the squires had to clean it for them.

By the time they came around to save the maidens in distress the girls were like "Oh my her...err..could you back up a bit? Oh. Never mind. But thanks anyhow. I think I'll just take my chances with the dragon."

2. Fisterra

Fisterra Helped Logen count his fingers

Currently reading The Way of Kings. I wanted to read the main Cosmere books this year, but I still don't know if I'll manage. The Stormlight Archive books are quite long, and there are other things I want to read!

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Funny post. I don't know how I missed latrine duty in these books. Guess I didn't miss it at all.

4. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

A Plague of Giants by Kevin Hearne

fingers crossed this is good

5. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Still on the Donaldson book but started War and Craft by Tom Doyle in paper last night. I will finish this in like 2 days. It is popcorn fiction, like if you made a fantasy action movie, but there's not necessarily anything wrong with that.

6. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Started on Oathbringer today. Holy shit it's been a long time since I was this excited for a new release. It will also be the longest book I've ever read..

I will patiently wait for Jim Butcher and Patrick Rothfuss, they can take the time they need. With that said I am super grateful that we have Sanderson..

7. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Speaking of Butcher, I'm trying to love The Aeronaut's Windlass and that's going rough.

8. ReguIa

Bought The Aeronat's Windlass when it came out, was pretty fresh after I finished my Dresden Files marathon but I still haven't touched the book. I have a feeling it will stay in my TBR pile for a while, seeing as the sequel is nowhere in sight. First we need Peace Talks and we don't even have a release date after 2.5 years. Man that's really getting to me, miss that series so much.

EDIT: going to correct that. Skin Game came out almost 3.5 years ago. WOW..

9. Sneaky Burrito

I've devoured pretty much everything else of Butcher's (Codex Alera and Dresden Files) but I've tried Aeronaut's Windlass twice, almost a year apart, and put it down at about the same place each time.

In my case, I know what the issue is. I really, really don't like reading about airship battles.

10. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

Did you get beyond the first one? I did and I've yet to find another one at about 200 pages in. Or maybe I forgot it.

For me, the problem is an itchingly slow plot, one note characters who don't transcend their stereotype, new quirky notes that irritate more than entertain and... hmm, oh yes, the overly mannered speaking is something I could do without too.

11. Sneaky Burrito

I finished that chapter both times and then stopped.

I was not too into the characters in the first chapter, either. (And yeah, I remember language between that mother and daughter as not something I cared for much.)

12. ReguIa

Almost forgot how enjoyable the flashback chapters are in the Stormlight books. Characters hasn't been Sandersons strongest area, but IMO he has really outdone himself with these books.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

I don't actually remember any latrine duties mentioned which is ironic because of all the details Cameron goes into (no pun intended). But it's a necessity in armies or the camp would be quite unbearable. :eek:

Plan to begin The Golem And The Jinni tomorrow.

14. Cyphon

Cyphon Journeyed there and back again

Just finished Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan.

This book was such an easy one to just keep turning the pages on. Overall a very good book that has me excited for the next 2 and also willing to buy the 4th book as well. It is late and I am tired so I won't go into a lot of detail but did want to at least address a few minor issues I had with the book.

1. While I like the gunpowder use and magic system I thought it was very weakly defined as far as rules and limits and that is a big thing with me. It obviously didn't kill my enjoyment but it is something I am hoping is improved on as the series continues.

2. Things went a little too easy for the good guys. We were given a death or 2 and a couple of tense moments but big picture I thought each negative scenario resolved itself a little too easily. I don't need dark and depressing but I do like when the heroes go through a little bit more drama before emerging victorious.

3. I dug the plot and as I said, am looking forward to the rest of the series but there wasn't a lot here to sink you teeth into as far as further mystery goes. I want to read on because I enjoyed this book so much but I am lacking the "I really want to know this" factor or the "I can't wait for them to explain this" kind of stuff.

Okay, so I gave some negatives but ultimately those are things that will keep this from being a 10/10 but they certainly don't make it anything close to a bad book. Very enjoyable from page 1.

9/10

15. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

Oathbringer audiobook! 4 hours in with a few scenes I loved and a few I hated. It's got some (not yet all, to my surprise) of Sanderson's weaknesses and bad habits, but one scene in particular will stick with me for years. 51 hours to go. Despite my criticism, imo Oathbringer is shaping up to be the best of 2017.

16. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

I'm still working my way through Blackwing, slowly, very slowly. My main read is Cameron's The Green Count.

Darth, I meant how I missed that there wasn't any mention, ever, of latrines. I really liked Golem and Jinni. Would never have tried it if it hadn't gone on sale.

17. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

It took me a while but I finally finished Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian Esslemont. This second installment in the 'Tales of the Malazan Empire' series was a great read. Like @Jakyro said some time ago, this book is basically one big running battle. There's plenty of exciting stuff happening and we meet some old acquaintances (both from the main Erikson series as well as Esllemont's first book).

Just like in Erikson's books we encounter Gods, mages, cynical grunts in the style of the Bridgeburners (including crazy saboteurs with Moranth munitions), mysterious races and exotic locations. Just like in the rest of the Malazan books the story starts a bit scattered, but in the end there is a big convergence.

I only have one mayor gripe, and that is the first half of the book. It is just too scattered in my view. In my opinion it has too many POVs and the cast of characters and locations is simply overwhelming. I'm used to a big cast in Malazan, but in this book it is all a bit much. Then there's the added problem that names are often very much alike. You've got Moss, a Choss, someone named Chord. You see what I mean.

An additional minor gripe is that I miss Erikson's philosophical musings. Esslemont seems to be a more down-to-earth guy telling a straightforward story. Not bad as such, but I do like Erikson's more elaborate style.

All in all this was a good read, which deserves a rating of 8.0/10 (**** 4 GoodReads Stars).

@Jakyro: did you mention some big reveals in this book? I'm afraid I missed them (it's been quite a long time since I read the main series). Could you perhaps elaborate (using a spoiler tag)?

18. Silvion Night

Oh, and I started Stonewielder, book 3 in Esslemont's Malazan series.

19. Sneaky Burrito

Wasn't this the one where Laseen was killed?

20. Silvion Night

Yes it was. I didn't think it was a big "reveal" though, just a sudden occurrence. I thought there'd be a reveal that a certain character turned out to be a certain other character from Erikson's main series. Something like that.