It's November 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

rudyjuly2

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Working on a house project has killed some of my reading time but the second book of the Red Knight/Traitor Son has a fairly slow first half. Many new characters and some interesting things but it feels like it is more about introducing new characters and parts of the world as opposed to a specific plot I'm supposed to follow. Kind of feels aimless right now.

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Working on a house project has killed some of my reading time but the second book of the Red Knight/Traitor Son has a fairly slow first half. Many new characters and some interesting things but it feels like it is more about introducing new characters and parts of the world as opposed to a specific plot I'm supposed to follow. Kind of feels aimless right now.

Yeah. I hear you. But I promise it all ties together. Maybe later in that book. I made my own list of characters. It's work but maybe make a list by location or whatever. He does introduce a lot throughout the series but not like WOT. Most actually play a role later.

Everyone likes something different, but I loved it from the very beginning despite the valid points you make and it is probably one of my top ten favorite series. *I need to make my top 25 list* Once you finish book one I think you'll know if it suits your tastes. :)

Jakyro

@Jakyro: did you mention some big reveals in this book? I'm afraid I missed them (it's been quite a long time since I read the main series). Could you perhaps elaborate (using a spoiler tag)?
What Sneaky Burrito said :)

I finished Blood and Bone myself yesterday evening, it's the fifth book in Esslemonts Malazan Empire series
It's my least favourite one from Esslemont; I liked the setting but Esslemont overdid it a bit with his descriptions. It contained too much filler and the ending was pretty messy. I still don't have a clear cut understanding of what actually happened with some scenes. I gave it 3 stars in the end (7.5/10)

I'll start the last book (Assail) this week. It will be my Final Malazan book for some time as I'll wait until the remaining series are finished before starting them.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
What Sneaky Burrito said
Aah okay. I actually finished the book thinking "Hmm, now which exact part did Jakyro mean when he mentioned that big reveal".

I've only started Stonewielder yesterday, but I'm already 150 pages in (I feel a bit like @MorteTorment ). It's a fast-paced read which is way better structured than RotCG. It's contained to less locations and characters and we get to spend time with the characters for more pages at a given time (RotCG switched around too often, sometimes after only half a page). So I guess I like the pacing and the structure better. Not sure yet about the characters yet. There are some good new ones in there and some of my favorite old ones. Just need to wait and see how they will develop. Same goes for the story. All the pieces have been set on the table now. I'm looking forward to finding out how everything fits together.

kenubrion

I finished the fantastic The Green Count by Miles/Christian Cameron last night and now will try to finish Blackwing by Ed McDonald. Been holding at 46% while I read The Fall of Dragons and The Green Count.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
To those who have read the two main Malazan series:
There was some little clue in the main sequence that led me to figure that out long, long before the big reveal. Of course, trying to remember which book or what clue is pointless because of the sheer number of pages (I read these in paper).

Brian2211

Possibly a Darkfriend
Hello all,
Awesome discussions here, I'll add all of these suggestions to my reading list. I just read a book by a new author called The Secrets of Brymar. Since it was by a new author, I was a bit hesitant at first, but I actually really enjoyed it. Strong characters, well edited, and good writing. Figured I'd pass it along!

Fisterra

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Finished reading Neverwhere and started Anansi Boys. I wanted to catch up with the Cosmere by the end of the year, but rereading Neil Gaiman sounds a bit tempting right now (specially American Gods, now that I'm watching the series).

fbones24

I haven't seen this book mentioned much but I'm reading The Tiger & The Wolf (The Echoes of the Fall) by Adrian Tchaikovsky. He has become one of my favorite authors. So far the story and writing are wonderful. Always different and unique.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Awesome discussions here, I'll add all of these suggestions to my reading list. I just read a book by a new author called The Secrets of Brymar. Since it was by a new author, I was a bit hesitant at first, but I actually really enjoyed it. Strong characters, well edited, and good writing. Figured I'd pass it along!
Look, if you are the author of this book, there are places for self-promotion on these forums. You are pretty much going to get no takers if you just pretend to be a fan of a book/author no one's ever heard of. But if you actually participate in the community in a meaningful way, people will be much more inclined to pick up your book.

For the record, this one has one semi-literate review on Amazon by a person who's never reviewed anything else, ever. Not at all fishy, no sir. /sarcasm

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I am reading Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. I am a bit tired of the fantasy heist novel as I think this has been overdone lately, although there is nothing wrong with this book in particular.

I am trying to read Oathbringer also, and am maybe 15% in, but I keep turning to other books instead of picking that one up.

Cyphon

I haven't seen this book mentioned much but I'm reading The Tiger & The Wolf (The Echoes of the Fall) by Adrian Tchaikovsky. He has become one of my favorite authors. So far the story and writing are wonderful. Always different and unique.
Bought it and read it a little while back. Had always been interested in his Shadows of the Apt series but too many books for me to randomly buy into so when I saw this one I thought what the heck. Tigers and wolves are my 2 favorite animals afterall. Anyway, I didn't really care for it. It was okay I guess but kind of boring and nothing really stood out about it. Really wanted to love it because if it was good I would have jumped into Shadows of the Apt but as it is now I am not sure he will get another chance from me.

fbones24

Bought it and read it a little while back. Had always been interested in his Shadows of the Apt series but too many books for me to randomly buy into so when I saw this one I thought what the heck. Tigers and wolves are my 2 favorite animals afterall. Anyway, I didn't really care for it. It was okay I guess but kind of boring and nothing really stood out about it. Really wanted to love it because if it was good I would have jumped into Shadows of the Apt but as it is now I am not sure he will get another chance from me.
Have you tried Children of Time?