It's November 2017: What fantasy books are you reading?

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
I completed The Golem And The Jinni. I thought it might be more lighthearted if not a bit silly but was pleasently surprised it was quite serious. I thought it was well written, unique, and enjoyed the writers “voice” and style. Most of the characters were flawed and plagued with inner turmoil and the book was bittersweet throughout. It was told through several POV’s. The plot sort of plodded along but wasn’t boring. I never avoided the book but wasn’t chomping at the bit to get to it either.

Maybe this is inaccurate but it had a bit of a gothic while taking place in New York around 1900. The communities were Jewish and Arabic which added flavor. I felt very comfortable giving it 4 of 5 stars on Amazon.

There is a sequel that I don’t think I’ll read although I will probably read the summary because I am curious as to what happens.

Last edited:

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I have just finished Oathbringer. After 14-15 days of semi-solid reading. The audiobook is like 56 hours long! About 17-25% longer compared to the previous ones.

The book itself is more than satisfying. Granted, there are like a ton of flaws in its numerous pages, but any long-term Sanderson reader would've come to expect most of them by now, so yeah... If you've learnt to like his books - you are good to go, because this is one of his best so far.

I would've liked if the book was more even-paced, instead of constantly changing gears. I'd have also liked so more progress on the character arcs - there was certainly room for a bit more in that regard. And the tone of the book was kind of too friendly - the stakes were never high enough. Not as in the first two books, at least. Well, they were, but it didn't feel as dire, is what I am saying. And some of the players are kind of too OP or get away too easy out of tight spots - the book needed bigger odds for everybody, really, both the "good" and the "bad" guys. Not enough tension at the right places.

Despite all of THAT - this is certainly the best 2017 published book so far. Well - personal opinion, mind you. It's 56 hours of epicness and really - my critical remarks are only valid when we mind the potential of the series into the equation. Many authors, well, most of them in fact, would struggle to get 1/10 of the epicness of this book in their own works. Especially considering that this is basically a middle book, of the first half of the series, which is planned to be 10 books.

For a middle book - this one was beyond awesome. It could've been better... but it isn't. At least there's room for improvement.

I am giving it 10/10. Why? Because this was the first 2017 published book that made me crave to re-read it, and the series to which it belongs, right after I've finished with it. The Stormlight Archive goes in 2nd place in my personal top 10. First is WoT, 3rd is Kingkiller Chronicles, 4th is Riyria Revelations - I can swear by those series, flaw-full as they are. They are just super enjoyable in their own rights, and super re-readable. And sometimes, a person needs something provenly awesome, to get back to, when he feels like, and those are my usual suspects.

If you share my tastes - you'd like this book quite much. It's not perfect, but it's better than anything else out there, or at least - better than anything I've encountered recently.

And now we are back to the endless wait for the next one. I kind of hate him a bit for the fact that he writes Reckoners 4 right now, this is my least favorite of his series and the waiting would've been easier if he was focused on some of his better works instead.

Last edited:

kenubrion

I completed The Golem And The Jinni. I thought it might be more lighthearted if not a bit silly but was pleasently surprised it was quite serious. I thought it was well written, unique, and enjoyed the writers “voice” and style. Most of the characters were flawed and plagued with inner turmoil and the book was bittersweet throughout. It was told through several POV’s. The plot sort of plodded along but wasn’t boring. I never avoided the book but wasn’t chomping at the bit to get to it either.

Maybe this is inaccurate but it had a bit of a gothic while taking place in New York around 1900. The communities were Jewish and Arabic which added flavor. I felt very comfortable giving it 4 of 5 stars on Amazon.

There is a sequel that I don’t think I’ll read although I will probably read the summary because I am curious as to what happens.
Thanks for the sequel info Darth. I will definitely be reading it even though it's not close to my tastes. Just a wonderful story. But I can't find it to buy yet.

fbones24

No my first experience was The Tiger & The Wolf
Honestly, while I am enjoying Tiger & The Wolf, I think Children of Time is an amazing novel and one of the better sci-fi books I've read. It's possibly my favorite. I would give him another shot with that one.

Darth Tater

Thanks for the sequel info Darth. I will definitely be reading it even though it's not close to my tastes. Just a wonderful story. But I can't find it to buy yet.
Right. Sometime in 2018. I felt the same way. Not to my normal tastes but nevertheless well done, IMO. I wouldn’t recommend it to someone but wouldn’t try to discourage them from reading it either.

fbones24

I have just finished Oathbreaker. After 14-15 days of semi-solid reading. The audiobook is like 56 hours long! About 17-25% longer compared to the previous ones.

The book itself is more than satisfying. Granted, there are like a ton of flaws in its numerous pages, but any long-term Sanderson reader would've come to expect most of them by now, so yeah... If you've learnt to like his books - you are good to go, because this is one of his best so far.

I would've liked if the book was more even-paced, instead of constantly changing gears. I'd have also liked so more progress on the character arcs - there was certainly room for a bit more in that regard. And the tone of the book was kind of too friendly - the stakes were never high enough. Not as in the first two books, at least. Well, they were, but it didn't feel as dire, is what I am saying. And some of the players are kind of too OP or get away too easy out of tight spots - the book needed bigger odds for everybody, really, both the "good" and the "bad" guys. Not enough tension at the right places.

Despite all of THAT - this is certainly the best 2017 published book so far. Well - personal opinion, mind you. It's 56 hours of epicness and really - my critical remarks are only valid when we mind the potential of the series into the equation. Many authors, well, most of them in fact, would struggle to get 1/10 of the epicness of this book in their own works. Especially considering that this is basically a middle book, of the first half of the series, which is planned to be 10 books.

For a middle book - this one was beyond awesome. It could've been better... but it isn't. At least there's room for improvement.

I am giving it 10/10. Why? Because this was the first 2017 published book that made me crave to re-read it, and the series to which it belongs, right after I've finished with it. The Stormlight Archive goes in 2nd place in my personal top 10. First is WoT, 3rd is Kingkiller Chronicles, 4th is Riyria Revelations - I can swear by those series, flaw-full as they are. They are just super enjoyable in their own rights, and super re-readable. And sometimes, a person needs something provenly awesome, to get back to, when he feels like, and those are my usual suspects.

If you share my tastes - you'd like this book quite much. It's not perfect, but it's better than anything else out there, or at least - better than anything I've encountered recently.

And now we are back to the endless wait for the next one. I kind of hate him a bit for the fact that he writes Reckoners 4 right now, this is my least favorite of his series and the waiting would've been easier if he was focused on some of his better works instead.
I so want to read this but the only thing I remember from the previous books is "Bridge 4." I have read so many books in between that the characters and plot (other than Kaladin) are lost on me. I have stopped diving into series that are open ended.

kenubrion

I so want to read this but the only thing I remember from the previous books is "Bridge 4." I have read so many books in between that the characters and plot (other than Kaladin) are lost on me. I have stopped diving into series that are open ended.
Hey bones. These summaries of the first two books were mentioned here by someone a few months ago. A LOT of info:
https://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings/Summary
https://coppermind.net/wiki/Words_of_Radiance/Summary

I prefer the regular wiki links for the books, the info is given quickly rather than in depth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_of_Radiance

When I read the summary articles, I got somewhat discouraged because while I thought I had understood everything, the reality is that there's much more being told and I missed it I guess. I'm going to wait to read the new one.

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
The thing is, as useful all those 20k words "refreshers" are, Brandon is one of those guys who spends some time blurbing past events in the scenes you'd need the information refreshed.

I so want to read this but the only thing I remember from the previous books is "Bridge 4."
The funny thing is that's the one thing I do always forget about this series, despite the other parts of the world-building being vivid in my mind. Every time someone is like Bridge 13 in the beginning of the next installment, I am like "Were they 13? Or were they 3? Oh, 4... right!" :D

On another note - I've finished Temeraire books 4-6 and The Witcher book 2. The short stories one. Nothing to write home about, but I am pleased with the over-all quality of the stuff. Solid palate-cleansers.

TomTB

The Master Tweeter
Staff member
Just finished the third Chronicles of St Mary's book, A Second Chance (by Jodi Taylor). Immediately purchased #4. I don't absolutely adore this series, and the lead character really pisses me off at times, but it's fun, and I found myself really eager to continue, following the cliff-hanger at the end of book #3!