It's November 2017: What SF books are you reading?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Alucard, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I'm still on Paradox Bound by Peter Clines. Around 75% in and I think there's no hope in sight for this book. Such a disappointment.

2. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Listening to Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel currently.

This is absolutely brilliant. There's a fantastic cast of narrators which really adds to the experience. Great characters, exciting plot, highly recommended.

3. justmarge

justmarge A Muggle

Luna: Wolf Moon by Ian Mcdonald

4. GiovanniDeFeo

GiovanniDeFeo Might as well be a Malazan regular

I could not recommend Ted Chiang's a History of your Life highly enough.
    They are novellas, but they are all amazing.
    The one that gives the title to the anthology is the story where the film The Arrival comes from.

5. TomTB

Just over halfway into Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel, the sequel to Sleeping Giants. This is absolutely stunning. Without a shadow of a doubt the best narration I've come across in an audiobook. I implore everyone to listen to these books, they really are superb. Book 1 is to do with the discovery of ancient alien technology and the efforts to learn more about it. Not a lot I can say about book 2 which won't act as a bit of a spoiler, but it's even better than book 1! There's Hard SF in here, excitement, suspense, great characters, and did I mention the narration? Just wow!

6. TomTB

Started reading (listening to) Dune for the first time today. 2 hours in, and liking it. Great narration, and it's got that 'epic' feel to it.

7. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

Dune just is epic. Paul Atreides is one of the great sff characters

8. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

I just started Glen Cook's - Passage at Arms.

9. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

I've got that on my phone but I haven't read it yet. Let me know what you think.

10. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

been thick into early sci-i books lately.

utopia~ Thomas more
    battle of dorking
    the coming race (aka vril)~ Edward B. L. 6/10
    we ~ yevgeny zamaytin 9/10
    anthem~Ayn rand 4/10
    Franz Kafka~ the trial (reread) 8/10

overview. these are very political books, but a lot of the politics is pretty out of date, but at the same time some of the dystopian fears have already been realized.

vril, and we. both demonstrate a society which has condemned recreational poisons (alcohol and tobacco). [but wait doesn't the current story state that we didn't know tobacco was bad for you until 1965? time traveling authors..lol] both (plus anthem) represent a future dystopia where the common good and the "we" is more important than the individual to a point that in anthem they don't understand "my" or "i" , and in we that they all have numbers instead of names and cant' comprehend doing anything wasting energy for yourself.

WE . a pure math world where each lift of your spoon from breakfast is timed precisely, and synchronised throughout the country. where each person is fully equal to all others they've even figured out how to make love fair for everyone (by letting everyone have anyone, through specific schedules) . cold emotionless, calculated. except people keep spawning emotions, and getting into inspired messy romantic jealous love that must be eradicated.

Trial. clearly inspiration for Tom Wolfe ~ bonfire of the vanities as this concept of the overly bureauratic endless string of court dates, starring professional defendants.

anthem. more a cheer on the high achieving individuals being held back and forced to live a mundane existence without excellence, to achieve as less as the least of society for the greater good. so everyone is truly equal..

11. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

still mid reading it cant happen here and 1984

also "we" spoiler
    to fix love forever, a new machine removes imagination. the love interest describes having to strap down and force the kids in her class to remove their imaginations.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 3:37 AM
  12. GiovanniDeFeo

GiovanniDeFeo Might as well be a Malazan regular

We is a fucking masterpiece. If anything, it is even better than 1984, more poetic, more insightful. And more depressing.
    There is a very high chance Orwell read it before writing his novel, as it was published in England way before it was published in Russian. Something I think happened 20 years after the author's death.

(Zamyatin is one of the real few heroes of literature. Because of that book he spent all the last years of his life in exhile.)