It's November 2018: What fantasy book are you reading?

ExTended

Journeyed there and back again
I've only read your previous comment, since I am afraid of spoilers and I'm only 75% through Skyward, but I can agree that outside of Wheel of Time 13/14, Mistborn Era 1 book 1, and maybe the first two Stormlight books, this one is the best of the lot.

It strongly reminds me of Red Rising in terms of fun per word read factor. So enjoyable. This is the first book this year that have tempted me to skip work to read more of it( working from home) - something that over 80 books so far have failed to do.

EDIT: I am usually trying to stay away from Sci-Fi at all costs, but this book and Red Rising have made me realize how fun it could be, if I keep myself to the kind of works that appeal to me. So any recommendations of Sci-fi series similar in tone and story elements would be greatly appreciated. My work is demanding enough, though, so please keep your recommendations away from things that are too heavy on science theories and stuff thorough the plot. :)

Last edited:

kenubrion

I've only read your previous comment, since I am afraid of spoilers and I'm only 75% through Skyward, but I can agree that outside of Wheel of Time 13/14, Mistborn Era 1 book 1, and maybe the first two Stormlight books, this one is the best of the lot.

It strongly reminds me of Red Rising in terms of fun per word read factor. So enjoyable. This is the first book this year that have tempted me to skip work to read more of it( working from home) - something that over 80 books so far have failed to do.

EDIT: I am usually trying to stay away from Sci-Fi at all costs, but this book and Red Rising have made me realize how fun it could be, if I keep myself to the kind of works that appeal to me. So any recommendations of Sci-fi series similar in tone and story elements would be greatly appreciated. My work is demanding enough, though, so please keep your recommendations away from things that are too heavy on science theories and stuff thorough the plot. :)
Extended, Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams is similar to Skyward with the lone brave pilots of the oppressed doing heroic things against the overlords of Earth, told from the point of view of the best pilot/hero figure, a 20-ish young man who has been hardwired.

ExTended

Extended, Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams is similar to Skyward with the lone brave pilots of the oppressed doing heroic things against the overlords of Earth, told from the point of view of the best pilot/hero figure, a 20-ish young man who has been hardwired.
Thanks a bunch - I'll definitely check this one out! :)

Finished with Skyward. The book was good enough to make me forgive him for not continuing his other numerous series, instead of writing this one. Alongside The Stormlight Archives, this is next series where I'd be eagerly awaiting more of. I can give this book 9.5/10 or even 10/10. It's not exactly perfect, but I feel so refreshed and hungry for more reading adventures after finishing it - I was in a bit of a reading auto-pilot before that.

The one thing that worries me is his set-up. It's too good of a first book and I am afraid of him repeating the Mistborn era one progression. Immensely satisfying first book and two sequels that should've been one book instead of two. I have this bad feeling that the way everything is set up after the ending of the first book, Skyward 2 might end up having some meandering or impotent main conflict that's more about wasting time, than progressing the story forward. I.e. I am afraid of it becoming too young-adultish, if there's not enough forward plot momentum to keep the navel-gazing to its bare minimum.

But we'll know more on that once the second book is out. The way I understood some earlier Brandon Sanderson blog entries - he was planning on writing the 3 Skyward books back to back and he seems to be finished with the 2nd one. Anyone with more information on the status of the 3rd? I know that he is starting work on Stormlight 4 in the beginning of 2019, so hopefully he have managed to write the complete trilogy before moving forward to Kaladin and co.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I'm reading 'a Song for Arbonne' by Guy Gavriel Kay. I'm about 1/4th in and I am not enjoying this one as much as I had expected up front/ Tigana is one of my all-time favorite fantasy books, but this one is not nearly as good in my view. Still, bot bad overall, but I'm definitely not "wowed".

Anyone here have experience with this book?

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
I'm about a quarter through A Path to Coldness of Heart in the Wrath of Kings trilogy. I'm annoyed with myself, though. I should have read the prequels and this sequel trilogy after I read the original trilogy 3 years ago. I had forgotten stuff in the meantime and there was no good reason why I just didn't jump right into the prequels and this sequel.

Last edited:

kenubrion

I think I will finally break down and pay $11.99 for the 200-page The Heart Of What Was Lost because I really want to begin the new trilogy starting with The Witchwood Crown. Hope it's worth it.

stenney

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
finished Fitz and The Fool trilogy. now on Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan. i loved Blood Song, and this is also very good. i don't mind the multiple POVs in this one, but it does make the story a bit less streamlined and more wandering, but the POVs are interesting, so i am enjoying it.

kenubrion

finished Fitz and The Fool trilogy. now on Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan. i loved Blood Song, and this is also very good. i don't mind the multiple POVs in this one, but it does make the story a bit less streamlined and more wandering, but the POVs are interesting, so i am enjoying it.
Me too Ren. I liked all three books and an aspect of Tower Lord is my favorite situation in a medieval novel. I won't be specific as I don't know where you're at but it's very good storytelling.

kenubrion

Finishing up The Price of Faith and I think I will keep going with Rob Hayes and read the Best Laid Plans duology. Pretty good story.

kenubrion

I finished The Price of Faith and started Where Loyalties Lie, the first book of the following duology The Best Laid Plans. I also bought the first book of the trilogy that will follow Plans, called City of Kings.

I also noticed and bought the new novella by Anthony Ryan that is set 10 years before the events in Blood Song, called Many Are The Dead, 142 pages for $2.99 http://a.co/d/bUf01xy

By the way, all of Rob Hayes' books are only $4.99

Peat

Ha. I just started Blood of Elves last night. Let's see what all this Witcher hubbub is all about then, shall we?

Finished up The Poppy War the night before and would give it four stars. Great writing and world with a cool magic system well used. Little tonal whiplash when it goes from a rather YA feeling school upbringing story with hurt feelings and the like to a very grimdark take on the atrocities of war. Even my flinty heart recoiled a bit there but certainly not a deal breaker for me. What I think did bug me about it was how much the main character was led around by the events rather than driving them. But again, not a deal breaker in the least. Solid book and I'll definitely read the sequel when it comes out.
You intrigued me. I might bump it up my reading list. Assuming I ever start reading again.

rudyjuly2

Finished the final book of the Divine Cities trilogy. Really enjoyed it. The final book was my favourite with each book getting better. I think the first book was easily the weakest imo. For those interested in the trilogy it is more modern with technology probably resembling the 1930s I would guess. It is more of a mystery than a traditional fantasy. The divine elements seem to have fluctuating rules and intrigue but the story, mystery and characters are very good.

Bill Door

Killed a Balrog
I finished A Path of Coldness to Heart last night and now I've started Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. This will be the first work of his I've read.

I thought Wrath of Kings was pretty good. I'm still more of a Black Company fan than a Dread Empire fan, though. I enjoy Glen Cook's takes on military fantasy whether it's Black Company, Dread Empire, or Instrumentalities of the Night. I just enjoy his writings, period. The Tower of Fear still remains my favorite of his work either way.

Last edited:

rudyjuly2

I finished A Path of Coldness to Heart last night and now I've started Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. This will be the first work of his I've read.

I thought Wrath of Kings was pretty good. I'm still more of a Black Company fan than a Dread Empire fan, though. I enjoy Glen Cook's takes on military fantasy whether is Black Company, Dread Empire, or Instrumentalities of the Night. I just enjoy his writings, period. The Tower of Fear still remains my favorite of his work either way.
I really enjoyed the Codex Alera series. Fast and fun with good characters. I got tired of the women being portrayed as emotional and crying quite a bit but overall a really good series.

Belg

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I finished book four of the lightbringer series. The Blood Mirror. Really good series so far, but this was the weakest book in my opinion.

I am starting Skyward today :)

Peat

But how did you respond to my post if you didn't read it first?

Gotcha.
Machine Telepathy.

I did open The Poppy War up but am thinking of giving this one up about 10% of the way in. The storytelling is far too direct and the characters are underfleshed. The voice is the best thing about it but its not good enough.